B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
racing poser
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duz anyone know which auto tranny cooler works and fits well in the b15. I'm not into trial and error.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
??????????????

Whats wrong with the one already installed? :confused:

·
racing poser
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: ??????????????

adc100 said:
Whats wrong with the one already installed? :confused:
Nothing. This is in addition to that. Because I tend to drive my automatic a little hard (ie: manually shifting at 6000rpms instead of letting the tranny shift at 4000rpms for me). And don't want to ruin my transmission.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: Re: ??????????????

Southk said:

Nothing. This is in addition to that. Because I tend to drive my automatic a little hard (ie: manually shifting at 6000rpms instead of letting the tranny shift at 4000rpms for me). And don't want to ruin my transmission.
Just curious, but if you like to shift it yourself, why didn't you get a manual? I don't think that adding an additional is going to keep you from ruining the automatic transmission in the long run. Just my two cents...

·
racing poser
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ProjektA8 -
Live and learn. This is my first car. My next car will be a stick. I might trade in for a spec v, but I prolly won't be able to afford that for a couple years. DOH!!!

In the mean time, I'll make the best of what I've got.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Southk said:
ProjektA8 -
Live and learn. This is my first car. My next car will be a stick. I might trade in for a spec v, but I prolly won't be able to afford that for a couple years. DOH!!!

In the mean time, I'll make the best of what I've got.
Understood, but shifting an automatic manually like that is just plain bad for the tranny. It's your car, and you're completely free to do with it what you want, but I wouldn't recommend it. You'll most likely end up doing a lot of damage to it.

Getting a transmission replaced can prove to be kind of pricey. I had to get the tranny replaced in my first car (an old '87 automatic Maxima that I got used in '95) back in '97. It cost just under $2000 for a rebuilt transmission. The shop said that the previous owner most likely had run it with little or no transmission fluid most of the time.

Oh well. One of the many reasons that I'll never by another used car...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I remember from the old old board a user named bosaw put one on his b13 or b14, bot sure if anyone has posted anything about a b15 yet. I don't think you'll be able to search for his on this board. Basically they're all universal kits (roughly all the same) and you'll probably want the smallest cooler available (I think his was roughly 7" x 12"), and the only problem you'll have is finding a good place to attach it. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

As for shifting the auto, I occasionally do this (upshifting only). I was under the impression that our tranny was electronically controlled, and thus shifting won't really hurt it, as the ecu will choose the proper time to actually switch the gear after you've shifted. It's like if you were in D going like 85 mph and then shifted the lever to 2, I'm pretty sure the ecu will not let the tranny shift down a gear even though the lever is in 2. I could be wrong, as I have no desire to actually test this.

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
I saw somewhere that by manual shifting an automatic the ECU might ignore your shift input, or go into "limp" mode that makes you even more slow. I think the Level 10 Shiftronic would be a good idea if you can't swing the new car or plan to keep the car for a while like I do. BTW, check the Turbo-I wonder if this will work, thread. It's under Performance Modifications. I contacted a guy from Australia who is familiar with turbocharging Sentras WITHOUT JWT ECUs. He is running a chip, while some others he knows are using the Haltech. He gave some good info on another Sentra BB about this, and has joined our board now. CHECK IT OUT!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Q: Can I manually shift my auto from 1 to 2 to drive? What will happen to my tranny if I do this?
A: Yes. Manually shifting an automatic allows you to shift from 1st to 2nd above the computer controlled shift point. Automatics normally shift at around 6200 RPM at WOT and even earlier depending on your driving style. Once the transmission shifts out of 1st at 6200 RPM, The RPMs drop as it goes into 2nd gear. When you extend the shift point and shift out of 1st at 6800 RPM, the RPMs are higher as it goes into 2nd gear. At higher RPMs there is more available power to turn 2nd gear. By shifting manually, you are staying at higher RPMs and utilizing your engines horsepower. Shifting at the rev limiter as opposed to the computer controlled shift point will get you down the track faster. Your transmission will experience higher pressures and heat at those higher RPMs. A well maintained transmission should not experience any adverse side effects.

i.e. change fluid more often then scheduled and get that oil cooler

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
I would agree with ProjektA8..

The oil cooler will not offer any more protection due to the lowering of oil temperature. Your best bet is to switch to a syn ATF (Mobil 1 or Red Line) It will offer you the increased protection beyond an oil cooler with conventional ATF. You will need to do 3 drains to get -say 90% syn in the tranny. The torque convetter holds a little less than half of the total amount (7 quarts I believe total) I use the Mobil 1 in two of my vehiclea and daughter's car. Auto trans will however not put up with abuse-you'll be replacing it. Mine already S&(( hit to bed after 200 miles with no abuse. BTW I did not have syn in yet.

Good luck.

·
Registered
142 Posts
yes synthetic oil is definitely good stuff... I recently swithced to mobil1 atf. does any one know what is the amount of oil needed after refill for b14? I put in 4 qrts, but when I check fluid cold its a little below cool mark and when I check it hot its a little bit above hot mark, so I am not sure whether I should add anymore since overfill is bad

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
In my experience..

Hot is the more accurate of the two values. You should check it after driving enough to get the temperature in its normal range on the gauge. If you are doing freewaw driving you will need to idle a few minutes to get an accurate value. Car needs to be very level. I assume you know to go through all the gears (engine running) and then check it running (in park). BTW the B15 has a range for both the cold and hot. Are you on the low side of the cold range-cold and on the upper end of the hot range when hot?? It's not going to hurt it if its a little over the high line. But if its say more than 1/4 inch over you probably should remove some. I had about a quart too much in and it didn't cause any problems/damage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: Re: Re: ??????????????

ProjektA8 said:

Just curious, but if you like to shift it yourself, why didn't you get a manual? I don't think that adding an additional is going to keep you from ruining the automatic transmission in the long run. Just my two cents...

I have to dissagree with you.
I highly reccomend an additional transmission cooler for the automatics. One of the biggest causes of failure of auto trannies is overheating of the oil. The auto tranny is under constant stress and the ATF gets very hot, especially if you drive spirited or in the city where it constantly shifts. The Maxima guys who have had problems with auto trannies, like myself, will tell you, an additional tranny cooler is reccomended. It only costs about 50 bucks from your local autozone or pepboys and not hard to install, or you can have a mechanic do it for you.
An additional tranny cooler will definately pro-long the life of your transmission. I suggest you go for it. I think the stock cooler is not sufficient enough especially for some spirited driving.
If anything it is only for the better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts