B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start a new thread for this question, because I didn't want to get off the original Turbo subject.

Thanks nismo00 for replying on my tranny question. Now this brings up another one...

What sort of options are available to make an auto tranny perform better under ~200 whp? I have read some about torque converters, but are there any other options? Keep in mind we are talking about modifying a daily driver. Prices would be very helpful with any suggestions.

Thanks,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,122 Posts
I've also wondered about this as well....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: The Best Known Auto Tranny Mod.....

maxximtl said:
BUY A 5-SPEED! You will notice an immediate gain in performance. :D :D
It didn't take a month before I was kicking myself in the *** for not getting a 5-speed.:(

I have thought of this before, but I wasn't sure it could be done. I know that you would have to tear up the pretty interior to get the shifter in there.

What's a rough price on a tranny swap?
 

·
Not your parent(s)
Joined
·
3,291 Posts
Re: Re: The Best Known Auto Tranny Mod.....

fishman719 said:

It didn't take a month before I was kicking myself in the *** for not getting a 5-speed.:(

I have thought of this before, but I wasn't sure it could be done. I know that you would have to tear up the pretty interior to get the shifter in there.

What's a rough price on a tranny swap?
actually, i'm looking into that. other than the obvious components (IE: transmissions, clutch assembly and flywheel, slave cylinder, mounts, shifter, interior floor console) I am verifying if the ecu would also need to go. i suspect yes, since it controls the shift points in the auto. As soon as i hear, I will let you know. if you or someone who lives in FLA and wants to swap manual for auto, let me know. we may be able to work something out.
 

·
Time Warp
Joined
·
1,141 Posts
Re: The Best Known Auto Tranny Mod.....

maxximtl said:
BUY A 5-SPEED! You will notice an immediate gain in performance. :D :D
Darnit, just wait till my warranty expires... or until I pay the car off... whichever comes first. I'll be runnin with ya'll 5-speeds again. I STILL can't belive I got an automatic... :(

[Edited by SR20DE 2K on 05-08-2001 at 11:13 AM]
 

·
Time Warp
Joined
·
1,141 Posts
Re: Re: Re: The Best Known Auto Tranny Mod.....

Lee said:
fishman719 said:

It didn't take a month before I was kicking myself in the *** for not getting a 5-speed.:(

I have thought of this before, but I wasn't sure it could be done. I know that you would have to tear up the pretty interior to get the shifter in there.

What's a rough price on a tranny swap?
actually, i'm looking into that. other than the obvious components (IE: transmissions, clutch assembly and flywheel, slave cylinder, mounts, shifter, interior floor console) I am verifying if the ecu would also need to go. i suspect yes, since it controls the shift points in the auto. As soon as i hear, I will let you know. if you or someone who lives in FLA and wants to swap manual for auto, let me know. we may be able to work something out.
Really? The ECU has to be changed too? I was told from people that did the swap in previous gen Sentras that the ECU had some kind of switch or "jumper" that had to be reversed and it would cause the engine to run idle while in neutral and get rid of the auto shift points. I don't remember their names, but one of them is on this board. The other one I talked to is on the SR20 forums.

Florida... crap. Right now I'm wishing I lived there. I'd be willing to be a test mule for the swap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I used to think the same thing but saturday night I was comming from a weeding on my new 2001 auto SE "stock" and at the freeway 3 guys came up to me and they were racing each other just messing around. There was a modified Mitsu. Mirage, Hiunday Tiburon and a Civic SI. All three had atleast exahust and filter because I could heard that and to my surprise I beat all 3. Myself and the SI pulled away from the rest and in four repeated runs I flored my car with the overdrive off and took it to redline and the Civic was 1 car and a car 1/2 behind me. My other car is a '93 MR2 turbo and I never thought My new AUTOMATIC Sentra could take on a Civic SI 5 speed even with the few basic mods I saw on the car. Granted I am sure I have no chance on a drag race from the hole, but from 60MPH up it is a diferent story. Don't feel so bad About the AUTOMATIC...
Take care!!!
 

·
Time Warp
Joined
·
1,141 Posts
The Si you ran must have had a bad driver. I got burned badly by two different Si's already. One off the line (took me in high end), and another on the freeway. I've been driving stick since I got my license (almost 8 years now)... and have NO idea what I was thinking when I opted for the auto. It's all good though. You live, you learn. No more autos for me till I'm over 65. :)
 
G

·
Auto's = Old Fogies

Thats what I say. I ended up with an Auto Acura Legend for about 6 months. It was the first auto I had ever owned. I vowed from that point on that I would never own another one again. Perhaps when I am older it might make sense, but I enjoy slamming gears right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Well see,I needed a comuter car but I didn't want to buy a car that I would not feel happy about It had to be fun for me. I have a 73miles round trip to work and trafic jams I just needed to get and auto because the clutch on my MR2 turbo was getting heavy. But when I want to slam gears the MR2 turbo gives me that pleasure. I bought the SE knowing that it was fun to drive but now I love it and all I did to it was upgrade the stereo and tinted windows. Don't get me wrong when I was racing that civic I kept thinking "wow, the stick has to be quick..."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
I beat a Civic Si

I beat a Civic Si in my auto(I have exhaust and CAI), he was pretty modded too, don't know exactly what though, but I also lost to a Civic Si as well, the Civic Si I lost to has the same mods I do, and it is a really good friend of mine who shifts really well. He beat me by like car and a half from 0 to 100mph or so, that's like half a second faster. So I think I am not that bad for an auto, somewhere in the 15.9-16.4 second range. I will be prob. not having this car for long, but it is fun as hell, and once my parents are done with it in 2 or 3 years, I will be modding this shizt out of it. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,122 Posts
Re: Auto's = Old Fogies

maxximtl said:
Thats what I say. I ended up with an Auto Acura Legend for about 6 months. It was the first auto I had ever owned. I vowed from that point on that I would never own another one again. Perhaps when I am older it might make sense, but I enjoy slamming gears right now.
Hey bite me ok!!!! I am not an "old fogie" I'm only 28 that's far from being an old fart,,,besides I don't have to wear a pair of depends...How's about I take my dentures out and go over there and whop your *** with my cane? :D J/K :D
I actually bought the auto cause I do alot of city driving and what not....

[Edited by Sentra Styling on 05-09-2001 at 08:35 AM]
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top