B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks. Is this magazine a real publication or just on-line? Bookamillion can carry Catfancy to *** Lovers Magazine but not NPM!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
NPM is only online :)

·
She was so young...
254 Posts
Good UR pulley write-up! Will probably be my next mod now.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
chimmike said:
LOL. I'm actually gonna take my pulley off when I go back turbo.
why are doing that? will this cause the turbo setup too malfunction :confused:

·
King of OT
5,210 Posts
GT-R said:
why are doing that? will this cause the turbo setup too malfunction :confused:
Depending on who you ask, people will say that the light weight pulley will damage your bearings....same thing that happened to Mike's turbo before...

·
Owner
1,650 Posts
"Hand tighten with a wrench"??? Should have known that was you Mike...j/p, nice beginner write up

·
King of OT
5,210 Posts
chimmike said:
yes I did.

and yes, after eliminating most other possible causes, i really think the UR pulley was a factor in the bearings spinning. Mind you it was the 2 crank bearings closest to the pulley. Every rod bearing was fine.

Yes, this is the article that sealed the deal with me....I know NiceGuy is very adamant in his stance that the aftermarket pulleys are 100% safe, but like they say, is a $200 part with 3 or so whp worth $1000 of repairs?

http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/pulleys.htm

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
agreed. and that's the Dinan tuner guy...heh, pretty reputable source if you ask me. Anyways, by taking it off and selling it, I'll be making a buck :)

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the natural frequency thing is what rings with me. Perhaps the vibration frequency under the extreme load from the turbo setup is what caused the bearings to spin.....oh well.....all I know is, for my peace of mind, I'm willing to lose 3-5 hp with the pulley (I can get it back just by bumping boost 1psi or so)

·
King of OT
5,210 Posts
chimmike said:
the natural frequency thing is what rings with me. Perhaps the vibration frequency under the extreme load from the turbo setup is what caused the bearings to spin.....oh well.....all I know is, for my peace of mind, I'm willing to lose 3-5 hp with the pulley (I can get it back just by bumping boost 1psi or so)
Yep, most people say well everything is internally balanced so it won't hurt....well it may be balanced but there's lots of harmonics going on too.....which people don't seem to grasp. I mean, why build a stock crank with a 2piece design with a tiny rubber section if it isn't used for anything, it would be cheaper to build a single peice crank.

·
Registered
340 Posts
chimmike said:
yes I did.
hmmm... Very nice article, with good pics and all, professionally done!

However, I was wondering why you said this: "Make sure the car has been sitting for at least a couple of hours (or 1, if you're in a rush)"

I was always told (and made perfect sense) that when the oil is hotter, you've suspended more "junk" in it, therefore draining it out gets more out that letting is sit, get cold, particles fall to the surfaces (not just the bottom where the drain plug is) and you've not done the best you can do. I usually have two quarts of standard oil (warmed, of course) to flush the engine with during changes.. but that's a little much. :)

·
King of OT
5,210 Posts
Tweeek said:
hmmm... Very nice article, with good pics and all, professionally done!

However, I was wondering why you said this: "Make sure the car has been sitting for at least a couple of hours (or 1, if you're in a rush)"

I was always told (and made perfect sense) that when the oil is hotter, you've suspended more "junk" in it, therefore draining it out gets more out that letting is sit, get cold, particles fall to the surfaces (not just the bottom where the drain plug is) and you've not done the best you can do. I usually have two quarts of standard oil (warmed, of course) to flush the engine with during changes.. but that's a little much. :)
My guess is to help let the engine cool down more naturally....dunno, just a guess. :confused:

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ever change the oil on a car that has been run less than 5 mins before hand?

talk about burnin the crap outta your hands................

·
King of OT
5,210 Posts
chimmike said:
ever change the oil on a car that has been run less than 5 mins before hand?

talk about burnin the crap outta your hands................
Eh, it's nice and comfortable once you get used to it, like a warm glove :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts