B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I like my stock headunit, but i am installin a sub in my trunk. So i need to run RCA's to the trunk.

My understanding is that RCA's contain 4 wires. Basically the 4 channels:
Front Left, Front Right, Front Right, Rear Right. If im wrong correct me.

Now. To install the RCA's i need to spice the wires into the stock wiring harness.

the question is: Does anyone know which color those said wires are on the stock harness? I have an 04' BTW.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
1SentraNotEnuff said:
Hello:

I like my stock headunit, but i am installin a sub in my trunk. So i need to run RCA's to the trunk.

My understanding is that RCA's contain 4 wires. Basically the 4 channels:
Front Left, Front Right, Front Right, Rear Right. If im wrong correct me.

Now. To install the RCA's i need to spice the wires into the stock wiring harness.

the question is: Does anyone know which color those said wires are on the stock harness? I have an 04' BTW.
first off 1 set of RCAs has 2 channels not 4.....if you're running subs off the stock stereo the easiest way to do it is go to radio shack and buy line level converters wire them into the rear speaker wires and plug your RCAs into them....this is all discussed in the "audio" section of the forum :D

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
For the love of God, DON'T splice RCA's right onto speaker output wires.
The output level is an order of magnitude higher on the speaker level outputs; when you turn speaker-RCA level, you're likely to fry the input side of your amp.
Spend the $$ and get a decent line level adaptor liek SPECsen said.
This is, unless your amp has high-level inputs, which you can just extend 2 speaker leads right to the amp.

Trust me on this- it's from my experience as an Electronics Tech, and a guy who had a car stereo before he had a car.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
specvmike said:
do you have the RF system?
I do and this weekend i'm going to play around with it...see if I can get my Kenwood to play with the stock amp...I know it would with other car's stock amps...i'll see what happens with this one....

·
LEMONade
1,137 Posts
If you have the RF package, you can just splice into the rear speaker RCA's going to the amp in the trunk, and run wires to your amp. Thats what i did.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
specvmike said:
If you have the RF package, you can just splice into the rear speaker RCA's going to the amp in the trunk, and run wires to your amp. Thats what i did.
what are you talking about? what rcas?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Speaking of ghetto-ing things.
Go buy a lower end Alpine/eclipse/pioneer etc and do it right. Even the lower end HU's provide better sound than the RF package. I'd plan on spending about $200.
You can get the Navone LOC, but then you have already spent $100, which should be more than halfway to a decent deck. I'd seriously consider NOT going with an LOC.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
Well, that is true. Even a lower-end HU will generally produce better sound than the stock HU, along with (probably) more power.
I was talking about a $25-$40 convertor which would work well with the stock HU, assuming he wanted to spend as little as possible to get things up and running- and he mentioned he liked the stock HU. The Navone piece is complete overkill for a stock HU; you're right, Spec_V_Freak.
(I have the Navone N66A for my alarm accessories, so I know what kind of quality products they have)
I actually got an email, and a phone call from David himself. That was a real highlite for me.
(If you know who David Navone or Richard Clark are, you'll understand)

·
Banned
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okey. So i shouldnt splice my RCA's to the cables coming out of the deck.

I should buy a Line Level Converter/Adaptor and connect it to my rear baffle speakers.

I know what you are saying, that by tossing a cheap head unit there ill get it all squared away. I actually have 3 headunits laying around. A Sony CD, a pioneer CD and a Pioneer Double DIN.

But the problem is that I dont want to get my windows shattered for a POS deck. I am having a bad-luck streak this past 2 months so i think i want to go low key...
But good advice nontheless. Thank You so far.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
1Sentra:
I hear ya man after your car got stolen and all that you have been through. I honestly cant imagine what its like. (the crack and newport smelll and all...LOL)
My last suggestion to you would be since you already have decks laying around, use the lower DIN to install one, and leave the stock one in where it is (dead unit) You could even splice the illum wire so it would light up with everything else....Just an idea. This is very stealth especially if you have a detachable face.
As for your LOC, I dont believe you answered somone elses earlier question, about if your amp has speaker level inputs. This would be the poorest quality way to do it, yet the cheapest (free)

Either of those LOC's would work though.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
That Audiolink unit is GREAT- I installed a small sub/amp system for a friend using that, and am VERY impressed.
Good choice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts