B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
RWD is teh bomb
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's what I get for adding my sidemarkers. They look really sweet, but when I went to get the car washed/waxed today, I noticed theres a RING of rust around them...oxidized probably from them drilling the damn holes. Is there anything I can do guys?

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
possibly stainless screws..

You get these problems when drilling sheet metal. That's why I refuse to get mud flaps. Happens every time and I really never could stop it from happening. We're talkin 40 years of experience here. Maybe someone else on this board has figured it out. You can disassemble it, spray it with silicon every couple of months. That helps some. But first the rust needs to go.

·
RWD is teh bomb
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But how do you get the rust removed without messing up the paint/clear coat?

·
Registered
783 Posts
go ahead and get the mudflaps, at least the rears, and the fronts if you don't have the sill extensions. They go in to predrilled holes. I believe I had to use speednuts on some of them. No drilling at all. The front ones have almost stopped the damage the sill was getting before they were installed.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
tgenius..I told you

after 40 rears, I don't have the answers. I would wait for better advice than mine on how to remove the rust. There is a product called "Navel Jelly" that works well. *HOWEVER* its pretty strong stuff that could eat the paint. Wish I could help you more. There are these auto custom places that do things like this. If you don't get an answer here- ask 'em. Also on Edmunds.com their town forum has a lot of knowledgable folks.

Here's the link to an appropriate forum. You'll have to register.

http://townhall-talk2.edmunds.com/[email protected]^[email protected]

[Edited by adc100 on 06-08-2001 at 05:38 AM]

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ouch... Yeah, rust is a bastard. Try this:

Remove the sidemarkers, sand away ALL of the rust,
apply some self-etching primer (this will actually bond
with the metal surface), and then follow that up with
a coat of touch of paint.

You have to make sure you eliminate all of the rust.

Hopefully it hasn't crept too far away from the holes
you drilled, and you won't have to remove too much paint.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
If it can be seen around the outside of the sidemarker,,,you could always lightly wetsand the area(I can't stress VERY LIGHTLY)then buy a can of clear coat a spray the area lightly...But if you don't feel like your up to this you can always go to a body shop and have it done for ya.....

For future refference to anyone installing anything like this always use some paint or clear coat on the area that you drilled to prevent the spread of rust and to protect your car....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts