B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are they good in rain/snow? and how do they compare to aftermarket 15/16s?

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
costcowholesale said:
are they good in rain/snow? and how do they compare to aftermarket 15/16s?
I definitely will say that my stock 16's suck. I think there is a general consensus about them. Search for "tires", and you find a pretty big discussion on the Firestone Firehawks. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
If the OEM Firestone's had a tail, it'd be tucked between the tires tails when it see's snow. Rain is ok, but not too terribly confidence inspiring.

·
Registered
150 Posts
yup them 16's suck alright.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Stock 16

The stock 16" Firestone Firehawks that are standard on the SE w/PP are truly, truly mediocre tires. They heel over onto their sidewalls under mildly aggressive driving, and the rear end of the vehicle wallows disconcertingly after a rapid lane change, almost as if it were about to break traction and fishtail.

In my opinion, the handling of the SE with the stock 16" Firehawks at the recommended inflation pressures does *not* inspire confidence. However, I have found the overinflating the tires slightly (in my case, to 40/38 front/rear cold) does improve the handling slightly, at the expense of a slightly harsher ride.

I would imagine that replacing the Firehawks with actual performance tires would improve the SE's handling considerably; you might want to poll fellow SE enthusiasts on this board who have done this for their "before-and-after" impressions.

DL

(Edited for content)

[Edited by dleong on 05-21-2001 at 09:03 AM]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Actually, I think the 16" Firehawks are pretty grippy (FOR A STOCK TIRE). Have you been in other new cars with stock tires? These ones arent that bad when its dry.

When I burn mine off I'm getting BFG Gforce KDW's

·
Registered
331 Posts
In fact , Car'and'Driver gave the car 0.85g of lateral grip with the Firestone against the comparo with the NEON RT. For stock tires, I think it is pretty decent (higher than the Corolla GT!!)

G

·
I have found the stock 16" Firestones to be completely inadequate. They don't grip well in dry or wet conditions. The Sentra SE is a performance minded car. These tires are in no way indicitive of the type of vehicle the Sentra is. Heck, Saturns come with these same tires!

It is very easy to drive past the adhesion limits of the GTA's. They don't let you know when they are at the limit, they simply let go. In addition, they tend to follow road irregularities, and seem to wander quite a bit on the highway. The car always wants to fall off center. I attribute this, in part, to the Firestones.

I'd say the GTA's might be more appropriate for the XE and GXE models, but no way should they be on the SE.

·
Registered
119 Posts
What kind of tires did you use previously?!?!

The stock tires grip well for stock tires, are quiet, give soft ride, and dont follow the irregularities in the road.

I had 205/40ZR17 Sumitomo HTRZII's previously. They gripped WAY better, but were slightly noiseier, followed the road like crazy, gave a very bumpy ride (that could have something to do w/ my Koni adjustables and linear rate springs:) see here-> http://www.geocities.com/rt_killer/tread.jpg

The stock tires grip ok. I'll find out how far they can really go before the car tries to spin pretty soon at an auto-x. gotta get 1000 miles before I take it to redline on every shift at the track

·
Registered
25 Posts
15's are o.k.
I think Bridgestone Potenzas are actually Firestones.
not amazing, but not bad.

·
Registered
778 Posts
ive had at least 2 near death experiences with the firestones. but on their behalf, they are very grippy tires...compared to plastic power wheel brand. if you wanna die, keep them on. words of the wise from mr. richard crabbe.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I feel like the Stock 16's are total crap,,,it feels like if you are going into a turn that they are gonna come right off the rim...And as far as snow trust me I am an expert at this snow stuff they SUCK!!!!!:D J/K I do drive in alot of though,,But you have a less of a chance of getting stuck in the snow with just your rims with no tires,,,ok so maybe that's a bit extreme but I seriously think so at points......Last summer is I should say was my last season with the firestone's on my car,,,I am deffienetly switching before the bad weather gets here.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm running on goodyear eagle GA 15 inch in my 99 maxima.All I can say is they're total CRAP!is the sentra's firestone anything like that?

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
ever hear of grand am gt radials? they run about $40 brand new. i was in a bind once and inbetween tires when i picked up a set. total trash i thought, until i drove in the firestones.

i've driven vans that don't flop like these firestones do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lee said:
ever hear of grand am gt radials? they run about $40 brand new. i was in a bind once and inbetween tires when i picked up a set. total trash i thought, until i drove in the firestones.

i've driven vans that don't flop like these firestones do.

or have any of you guys driven on michelin MX4 16" before?
I got those in my honda odyssey minivan and I personally think the van can take turns harder then my max

·
Registered
250 Posts
Kevin C.---'01 SR20DE said:
Actually, I think the 16" Firehawks are pretty grippy (FOR A STOCK TIRE). Have you been in other new cars with stock tires? These ones arent that bad when its dry.

I'm still using the stock 195/55R15 Goodyear Eagle RS-As on my '95 200SX SE-R, and it handles *considerably* better on dry pavement than my '01 SE with the Firehawks. (Don't ask about the RS-A's performance in snow, though.)

I hope the Firehawks wear down quickly so that I can replace them with actual performance tires. Does anyone have recommendations in the 205/50R16 category?

DL

·
Registered
41 Posts
Next month I am putting new Bridgestone RE950s on my Sentra SE. I am going with 205/55/16, and I can hardly wait. I wanted the 730s but I have to deal with snow (city), so the all season 950s are a better choice.

I leased my Sentra for 4 years, so my thinking is, get the tires I want NOW and enjoy them, then put the crap Firestones back on at Lease end to ensure I meet the minimum tread depth parameter on turn in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dleong said:
Kevin C.---'01 SR20DE said:

I'm still using the stock 195/55R15 Goodyear Eagle RS-As on my '95 200SX SE-R, and it handles *considerably* better on dry pavement than my '01 SE with the Firehawks. (Don't ask about the RS-A's performance in snow, though.)

I hope the Firehawks wear down quickly so that I can replace them with actual performance tires. Does anyone have recommendations in the 205/50R16 category?

DL
how does the goodyear eagle GA compare to the RS-A?
I got GA in my maxima

G

·
Ebony- YOu do know that 205/55 16's will rub when turning at full lock, right? If they have a 205/50 in that model, it would be a much better choice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts