B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i just got a evo cf hood made by VIS and i was wondering if i need hood pins. the latch and everything latches up perfect.

·
I drive an auto...
1,569 Posts
yes, they are necessary

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't have pins my stock latch works fine with mine... it latchs good... don't really think there's any danger in it flying up it's pretty strong... but that's just me... i have the hood so :confused:

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
UnosGirl said:
I don't have pins my stock latch works fine with mine... it latchs good... don't really think there's any danger in it flying up it's pretty strong... but that's just me... i have the hood so :confused:
uhh, take a good look at what the hood is doing at 70+mph and tell me how long you think that latch will last....the one that is pretty much not directly molded into the hood but glassed on the bottom.

get pins. Mine has lasted a while without them as well, but the longer I go the more trouble I'm asking for.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey chimmike are all hood pins the same no matter wut brand it is

·
Premium Member
5,875 Posts
Hmmm, my DG hood belong to Silverballspecv for a year before I bought it, no pins! I had it for a year, no pins. Now VooDoo has had it for 6 months, and guess what, no pins. The hood has probably seen 60k. Take it for what it is worth, I have heard many a horror story about hoods flying up with out pins.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hoods pins are a relatively easy and cheap safety precaution. You may not necessarily need them under all circumstances, but if you dont get them and something does go wrong, you'll be kicking yourself over and over again. I say get them, powder coat them black, and put em in. You'll barely notice them that way, and they will still serve their purpose. I personally like the locking hood pins (haven't gotten to aftermarket hoods yet), because it doesn't stick up and you need a key to access your hood (no such thing as over precautious).

·
Registered
276 Posts
just took a road trip down from NY to Florida with my C/F hood...NO PINS...yes the hood does vibrate alil but nothing extreme ....1300 miles going 80 and did just fine...

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
vibrate a little? It's a bit more than a little..........the center of the hood between where it's bolted at the windshield and where the latch is..........LIFTS!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've had the EVO CF on my car for 7 months now using just the latch and had no problems... It's been though normal daily use, drags, and auto-X...

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
chimmike said:
vibrate a little? It's a bit more than a little..........the center of the hood between where it's bolted at the windshield and where the latch is..........LIFTS!
Exactly....where do you think all that air rushing in through your grille at highway speeds is applying force on? Your nice, featherweight carbon fiber hood!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yeah the hood definitely lifts bad at interstate speeds. I didn't run hood pins on my hood for about a year and people driving by bring attention to my hood thinking it was about to blow off. With the hood pins the hood doesn't move at all so no more lifting of the hood.

I just think buying something that only costs $25 is worth it instead of taking a risk with a $500 hood, your windshield, your roof, and the damage that could sustain from wrecking your car if the hood flies up on you while driving down the interstate and you not being able to see.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey i just called VIS today and they told me hood pins are not neccasary on their carbon hoods

1 - 20 of 38 Posts