B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone ever gets annoyed by the sound of an exhaust. Sentra or not of course.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
When they sound like lawnmowers, I have a problem. Not deep and throaty. A nice hum at wide open throttle is real nice. Mine definitely sounds deep. I like that much better than what I've heard out there.

·
Former Boosted B15
1,652 Posts
I lov ethe way muy Focuz Tanabe style sounds!!!, its a deep low tone. Not like one of those dirt bike civics :D

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Original Mr Sentra said:
When they sound like lawnmowers, I have a problem. Not deep and throaty. A nice hum at wide open throttle is real nice. Mine definitely sounds deep. I like that much better than what I've heard out there.
I agree with Marvin on this,,,,I also have the Stromung cat-back...

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
azninvazion said:
Why can't greddy make a catback for our cars????
Cause we don't own Civics

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lot of people I talked to from the time I posted this topic till this reply have actually told me they DO get REALLY annoying. IF noone here agrees though I'll still brew.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I hate the chain saw exhausts that some of the Honda
guys use. There is nothing worse than driving along
on a warm summer day with all the windows down, and
hearing that buzz coming up from behind me. Yuck!

To be honest, I LOVE the sound of my Stomung outside
of my car, but inside it tends to get on my nerves.
I'm sure it's the trunk altering the sound into something
that sounds like an exhaust leak. I talked to Scott at
Stromung, and he said adding the resonator wouldn't hurt
performance, so I'm going to install one. How often
am I listening to my car from the outside anyway? :)

I will miss the compliments I receive on the sound though.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I love the sound of my exhaust. It drones a bit on the freeway, but I have a feeling the B15 is a little better sound-dampened than the old B13, so it might not be even as loud. It's really not irritating at all. My exhaust isn't an extremely loud exhaust, but it puts out some noise. The sound is deep enough, though, that I've learned to tune it out.

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
They can be annoying for two reasons... One is if they drone or sound like dirtbikes. Two is if they are on automatic tranny cars (Just MY opinion though).

And now you guys know why I passed on the Stromung group deal. My car's an auto. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
So what's wrong with automatic car having an exhaust?? Don't they sound the same?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Stillen vs. GReddy...

i just installed a GReddy SP cat-back on my car a couple days ago man compared to the stillen it sounds so sweet nice smooth low throaty sound the stillen droned quite a bit on the highway and it does get annoying after a while. it's sure nice to have a quiet interior again. i love the sound of my GReddy exhaust sure hope they make one soon for you B-15er's...

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Re: Stillen vs. GReddy...

sentrapower93 said:
i just installed a GReddy SP cat-back on my car a couple days ago man compared to the stillen it sounds so sweet nice smooth low throaty sound the stillen droned quite a bit on the highway and it does get annoying after a while. it's sure nice to have a quiet interior again. i love the sound of my GReddy exhaust sure hope they make one soon for you B-15er's...
I'll add that my GReddy SP Cat-Back that was custom fit for my old GXE had a real nice tone to it, and was very VERY nice wide open. That was on a GA16DE. My Stromung has a louder idle sound, and it wails wide open. It's all a matter of opinion and what you think sounds good. As long as it doesn't sound like a lawnmower. :D

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
whitesentra said:
So what's wrong with automatic car having an exhaust?? Don't they sound the same?
The exhaust note is the same. It's the way it sounds when the auto tranny shifts. Almost sounds like it's whining. It also sounds retarded when you're going uphill and your ECU can't decide what gear it wants to be in so it upshifts and downshifts like four times in a row. I can't stand it. Then again, that's just me. And before anyone gets mad, I have an auto tranny too. :p

[Edited by SR20DE 2K on 05-26-2001 at 11:55 AM]

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I think that the HP gain is going to be worth the noise. So maybe sometime next week I'll order the HKS cat-back. :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
I've had exhausts for like 5 years now on 2 different cars. First on my Honda Accord, I had a Thermal Research cat back system. That thing was a straight through design and was loud as hell even with a resonator. It made good power though. Then I decided to go with a more "grown-up" exhaust. I got the DC Sport full stainless system. This was a dual chamber exhaust and was a little quieter and the sound was smoother, although not as free flowing.

Exhausts sound great for around the town cruising but when you're on a long drive, it can get very annoying. That's why I went with the Stromung WITH resonator. This is a very solid, relatively quiet exhaust. It definitely has the "grown-up" look and sound.

The HKS is really nice too but it is definitely more aggressive in terms of looks and sound so if you don't mind the droning on long drives, then get the HKS. I'm 30 years old and married and am very happy with the Stromung WITH resonator. (without the resonator was too loud on the highway for me)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts