B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting Adam's turbo kit soon and as some of you may know, it comes with the aquamist water injector kit. I was wondering what other liquids, if any, other than water, can be used. I think I remember somewhere reading that people were using a type of alcohol mixture. Any info would be great.

Thanks

Tyler

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
the biggest reason to use alcohol is if you are going to be using it where you risk freezing temps. Alcohol has a lower freezing point than water.

·
Registered
386 Posts
True, Like David said, use a mixture of alcohol and water to avoid freezing. I'm not sure what the mix is but I'm sure someone on here would know how to do this.

·
wanna be car guy
542 Posts
try putting liquid nitrogen in there, it give you like 45 extra whp!!!

·
www.gtasentra.net
582 Posts
id like to know also, cause canadian weather can get pretty cold :(

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
be careful what you mix in there though...some of those additives (i think methanol being the main one) tend to eat seals.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
david said:
the biggest reason to use alcohol is if you are going to be using it where you risk freezing temps. Alcohol has a lower freezing point than water.

No need for me to worry about that. I live in Southern California... Damn heat!

Thanks for the input, guys.

Tyler

·
Casual Lurker
2,135 Posts
the reason that water is used is for its heat exchanging properties .. its not flammable and doesnt burn it is just a medium to carry heat besides it soaking into the engine and its then sent out the exhuast pipe.

You dont want something flammable with a high ratio of expantion from liquid to water .. So using other material that have a higher expantion ratio or are less efficent as a heat exchange would not be as effective.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Methanol, alchohol are both popular.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Esc8p2NeverLand said:
I will be getting Adam's turbo kit soon and as some of you may know, it comes with the aquamist water injector kit. I was wondering what other liquids, if any, other than water, can be used. I think I remember somewhere reading that people were using a type of alcohol mixture. Any info would be great.

Thanks

Tyler
Heres a write up with all you will need to know I hope:cool:

Water Injection Facts:

When increasing the boost level of a turbocharged vehicle, an undesirable byproduct is an increase in intake temperatures as well as a corresponding increase in combustion temperatures.. These higher intake temperature increase the chance of detonation within the cylinder. The best solution is to add an intercooler when the boost pressure exceeds 12 psi, but this is not always practical due to cost and packaging limitations. The early Chrysler TI (drawthrough) turbo engines are a good example of packaging limitations. It is somewhat difficult to fit an aftermarket intercooler to the factory manifold. This makes it a good canidate for water injection.

Water injection decreases the possibility of detonation by lowering the combustion chamber temperatures and increasing the effective "octane" of the fuel. This allows the engine to run a higher boost and full spark advance without the use of race gas. Additionally, if the water is atomized in the intake stream, there is an additional cooling of the intake charge. Both effects are increased with the inclusion of 50% alcohol to the mix (don't spray the exterior of an intercooler with alcohol!, this refers to internal injection only). The additional fuel of the high octane alcohol will in turn allow boost beyond what the factory fuel system can deliver.

Water injection also has the effect of "steam cleaning" the combustion chambers and exhaust valves. This removes the carbon build up that decreases efficiency and leads to pre-ignition(detonation). It will also keep the throttle body and interior of the intake manifold much cleaner than normal.

Water Injection FAQ:

Will water injection increase my horsepower?: Yes, but not directly. Water injection works to eliminate detonation, also known as knock. The big gains come from the ability to increase boost as well as the full ignition advance allowed by the ECU when it does not detect knock. While the cooling of the intake charge will produce some power increases, those increases are cancelled by the charge space occupied by the water vapor. In other words, there is slightly less room for air and fuel. However, by using up to 40 percent alcohol with the water, additional cooling takes place before the turbo, and the alcohol works as a fuel in the charge. This results in an increase in power.

Is water injection new?: No. Water injection was used during WWII to surpress detonation in fighter aircraft and increase their service ceiling.

Does the water "burn" in the engine?: No. The water simply converts from a vapor to a gaseous state which absorbs huge amounts of heat, due to the energy required to transform it.

What if my engine has an intercooler?: We do not suggest injecting water before the turbo in an intercooled application, as most of the water will condense out at the intercooler. However, our system works great as an auxillary sprayer to increase the efficiency of your intercooler. In this application, water (add ice if you wish) is sprayed on the exterior of the intercooler to carry away the heat. Simple, easy, and effective. Subaru WRX rally cars use the same type of sprayer on their intercooler (but I bet it cost more).

Do I need an extra "tank"?: No. Our systems are designed to use the original washer fluid tank (most have a built in level sensor), but you may choose to add a seperate tank which you supply. The alcohol/water mix actually works like washer fluid, so you can kill two birds with one stone.

How often do I need to fill the tank?: It all depends on how often you use the system (it's only active under high boost) and how big the tank is. Even the smallest tanks will last for 8 full 1/4 mile runs or so. In around town driving (racing?) a tank full should out last a tank of gas.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I hope that this helps... I included a little more of the write up incase you had any further questions

George

1 - 12 of 12 Posts