B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone has some answers for me. I don't that it can be fixed for cheap since I know nothing about car audio. I have already replaced the fried amp so I am not in any hurry to have this one fixed. It is a RF Punch 160a2. The amp is at least 3 years old and finally blew along with the sub I had. Both are replaced and working fine now. Does anyone know how to fix an amp without paying a ****load of money??? I have taken it to Best Buy and they are going to charge me $25 just to send it out to RF to be looked at, then if the repair costs are too expensive, I still have to pay for the $25. Any help would be appreciated if you can.

Luke

·
Registered
631 Posts
for that particular amp, i woudlnt even bother.
if you want, post a budget, im sure someone will be able to chime in and offer a good setup for the money you want to spend. (btw, if an amp fries, its usually either the power supply, which is big money, or part of the board, which cant be fixed).

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Yeah on an amp like that, a repair would not be economically efficient.
For example, what if your network card in your computer broke? Would you pay a technician 20 bucks an hour to fix it? Not when you can get one new at wal mart for $9.99.

It would be extremely hard to troubleshoot one of those without a schematic, and even if you had one, you may have a hard time finding the parts that burntup.....a local shop may be able to bench it for you, and yeah they'll still charge you 20-25 bucks..........

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
fixing it would not be wise...and like everyone else said, not worth the money...

HOWEVER!!!! its not a bad way to LEARN....go get yourself an ohm meter and start pokin around on the board.....learning a little about electronics is never a bad thing...just make sure you don't have it hooked up while you're doing it ;)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
cortrim1 said:
since all rf amps have used dsm technologly since 92-93 you will not be able to repair this your self. Most repair places do not have the proper equipment to replace disceat surface mount componets.
still fun and a good way to learn some basics about electronics to take it apart and start playin with the ohm meter :D

·
Registered
631 Posts
SPECSen said:
still fun and a good way to learn some basics about electronics to take it apart and start playin with the ohm meter :D

its useless without a power source. what do you want him to do? pop teh hood and connect his jumper cables to the amp so he can play with it?

besides, unless you're fairly knowledgeable about electronics, looking at a circuit board isnt going to mean a thing to you, no matter how long you stare at it.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Jasper said:
its useless without a power source. what do you want him to do? pop teh hood and connect his jumper cables to the amp so he can play with it?

besides, unless you're fairly knowledgeable about electronics, looking at a circuit board isnt going to mean a thing to you, no matter how long you stare at it.
you really don't know anything about electronics....an ohm meter supplies its own power moron!!!

you can learn a lot just by playing with a board and an ohm meter...something you've obviously never done

·
Registered
631 Posts
SPECSen said:
you really don't know anything about electronics....an ohm meter supplies its own power moron!!!

you can learn a lot just by playing with a board and an ohm meter...something you've obviously never done

actually, i have. and if you'd pay attention, a moderator had to edit your last post in general. keep the flames to PMs and stop hijacking threads. yea, he could play with an ohm meter. wow, then he'll find out that electricity has the capability to pass through a circuit board!! i never woulda known that!! omgomgomgomgomg

like i said dude, 5.8 posts a day, .1 are useful. dont come in with an attitude assuming that you're all-knowing. theres guys on this board that know far more than you'll probably ever know....especially when it comes to electronics...and for some strange reason, we dont feel the need to start sh*t with eachother

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
cortrim1 said:
you don't need a power source to do a continuity check or to check the impedence of a componet. these are the easiest methods of tracking down a issue. broken electronics are great learning tools because they are broken you can't really make them worse ;)

True, but like jasper said, no amount of poking around and measuring resistance is going to teach a total electronics noob anything about electronics. Its going to look like greek......

Specsen, you really dont know what you are talking about. A DMM does not supply power to anything. It does not power a circuit. It uses very small amounts of current for testing purposes.
Its clear that you have maybe had an AC/DC theory class or two, and thats about it. I like how you didnt understand my post in the discussion about the regulated amp, so you come here and try to act like you know what you are talking about.....get off it.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Jasper said:
actually, i have. and if you'd pay attention, a moderator had to edit your last post in general. keep the flames to PMs and stop hijacking threads. yea, he could play with an ohm meter. wow, then he'll find out that electricity has the capability to pass through a circuit board!! i never woulda known that!! omgomgomgomgomg

like i said dude, 5.8 posts a day, .1 are useful. dont come in with an attitude assuming that you're all-knowing. theres guys on this board that know far more than you'll probably ever know....especially when it comes to electronics...and for some strange reason, we dont feel the need to start sh*t with eachother
I have said multiple times that I don't know...wow...thats what most know it alls say.....as for the knowing more than me.. you're right...lots of people know more than me...and you started sh*t with me...I didn't say one word to you until you flamed me....and I believe that everything I have said has been true...whether or not you find it relevant to the topic is your decision...but I felt the need to make it known....now if you'll kindly get off my back....thanks

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
SpeC-V_Freak said:
True, but like jasper said, no amount of poking around and measuring resistance is going to teach a total electronics noob anything about electronics. Its going to look like greek......

Specsen, you really dont know what you are talking about. A DMM does not supply power to anything. It does not power a circuit. It uses very small amounts of current for testing purposes.
Its clear that you have maybe had an AC/DC theory class or two, and thats about it. I like how you didnt understand my post in the discussion about the regulated amp, so you come here and try to act like you know what you are talking about.....get off it.
wow....I didn't see you post anything about a regulated amp....the only post I saw was that an amp can push the same amount of power at 2 different resistances....and I said I don't know about that....

and I DID NOT SAY THAT AN OHMMETER WILL POWER A CIRCUIT...I said it has its own power supply....by that I meant....you can test a circuit with out it being live for reistance...and with most ohm meters you can change voltage and current inputs so you can learn how each affects the other across a circuit!!!

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
SPECSen said:
wow....I didn't see you post anything about a regulated amp....the only post I saw was that an amp can push the same amount of power at 2 different resistances....and I said I don't know about that....

and I DID NOT SAY THAT AN OHMMETER WILL POWER A CIRCUIT...I said it has its own power supply....by that I meant....you can test a circuit with out it being live for reistance...and with most ohm meters you can change voltage and current inputs so you can learn how each affects the other across a circuit!!!

You said that if the resistance is cut in half, the watts will increase (basically)
You are posting very general facts that dont apply to the specific situation at hand.

Anyhow, I dont really care.

·
OT Whore
4,411 Posts
SPECSen said:
i just can't believe that someone who acts like he knows about car audio has never heard of regulated amps, in particular JL Audio amps. been living under a rock? obviously saying regulated amp wouldn't have meant anything to you, since you obviously don't understand what they are.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dear mods, can you please delete the posts that have nothing to do with this question, and please people, keep the flaming to a minimum.
Does anyone want to buy this amp to see if they can mess with it and fix it???

Luke

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Dude we already answered your question. Unless its something EXTREMELY simple, such as an internal fuse or a current limiting diode, it cant be fixed without special equipment. You'd need a chip layer, for chips with leads on the bottom of the chip. As well as the actual schematics.
I'll buy it. $5 shipped.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you don't have to be an *** about it, if someone wants to buy it and work on it then they can, and it can't be a $5 thing, cause it will cost more than that to ship.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
LOL sorry dude. Seriously though thats all I would spend for it. If you want to pay the shipping I can look at it for you and see what I can do but I probably wont be able to fix it. I dont have the resources to go in depth on it.
Even if I could diagnose it its not likely I would be able to get the parts. It could however be something simple such as a connector come loose, bad solder joint, or blown fuse......

·
Just 35 more...
2,296 Posts
SpeC-V_Freak said:
Dude we already answered your question. Unless its something EXTREMELY simple, such as an internal fuse or a current limiting diode, it cant be fixed without special equipment. You'd need a chip layer, for chips with leads on the bottom of the chip. As well as the actual schematics.
I'll buy it. $5 shipped.
Surface mount by hand isn't terribly hard, I've done 0603's many many times. Made a SIP pullup pack out of 0805's once too. Done a .6mm PQFP package with a $20 radio shack iron.

Saying an amp is "blown" and asking what the problem is can be compared to "my car is making a noise, whats wrong with it?"

How does it act when you power it up?

My amp right now SEVERELY clips even the most minimum of input. When I get some time I'm going to pull it out, I have a strong suspicion that its the preamp gain thats messing up. Assuming its controlled with opamps, I think the feedback loop is shorted to ground.

Assuming your amp does not turn on.... I'd check for internal fuses first, then move to remote input, then to the amps power supply.

If it lights up but there's no sound coming from it, I'd check the common ground for the speaker outputs first. But I suspect that if the amp acted like this, it could be a myriad of problems.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts