B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2001 Sentra Gxe yesterday. I had rented one a few weeks ago, and liked it's smooth handling and ride. But this one, yikes!! I feel EVERY little bump in the road. If i wanted that I would have gotten the frontier truck!!

Any suggestions? It is also pulling a little to the right, like the alignment is out. Geez i am regretting this already. Its a NEW CAR for crimany sakes!

do you think this has anything to do with that recall? Does your sentra have a smooth ride?? Thanks for replies.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have no complaints about the ride quality of my sentra. In fact it rides much better than the 97 Civic EX i traded it in for. I even get compliments from the passengers about how smooth it feels.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree it's a little bit rough, but I think that's good. It mean's the suspension's a little stiffer, right?

I like my GXE's ride. On the highway, it's pure butter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The GXE have a good performance. And have a smooth ride. But, somebody has photos of it's Sentra GXE? Or any homepage??

·
Registered
12 Posts
If its pulling to the right then obviously something isn't right with it, take it back to the dealer and have them take a look at it. Any problem they find would be covered under the warrenty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
if your car is brand new.. thats what it is. i test drove a brand new one about a week ago, the guy told me it would ride really stiff because it was all brand new. check your tire pressure, they crank it way up on brand new cars.. and it will probably take a bit to let the springs settle... if it pulls to the right, the alignment is off.. take it back and ask them to fix it for you.

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
I would definiately have the

1) Alignment
2) Tire pressures

checked.

I remember test driving a GXE before I bought my SE (didn't want a GXE, but no SE's were on the lot), and it was very smooth to me. (Take into account I was driving a 92 Topaz w/ 158k miles.)

If the tire pressure was too high, it'll make the car seem rough riding.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No complaints...

I noticed the ride firmed up slightly once I got the rims put on as expected, but otherwise I've always found the suspension tight, but by no means punishing...

On the highway it's compliant on surface imperfections and never reacts unpredictably when it encounters them.

Here's a quick pic sEnTrA GxE Y2k1:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Some people complain about the SE's ride because the suspension is so stiff. But not the GXE. I think that there is probably something wrong with your car. Just take it in, they'll take care of it.

I took a test drive in a Frontier two days ago and the ride was bumpy, like you described. I took a ride in another one because the salesman insisted that it was a fluke. Turns out the truck I drove just needed to be aligned. Good luck, I am sure it'll be figured out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
ride

Did you get the rims with your GXE? If so that would explain why you feel more of the road -- the rental probably didn't have rims -- just basic wheels. With rims (being that they are larger vs base-wheels) you have lower profile tires wich aids in better handling/cornering and more tactile feel of the road.

As for the pulling to the right, that's pretty much normal on all cars in the USA. Most streets in the USA have a somewhat convex curvature, intentionally this way for a few reasons, firstly so rain runs off of the roads into drainage, and secondly if someone was to loose consciousness at the wheel their car would drift out of on-coming traffic --- more so for the previous reason. If a car was not to drift to the right, it most likely would have alignment issues (where the car tends to crawl to the left, but due to the roads curvature is compensated for and ends up driving straight). If you have any doubt you can probably have service check your car out.

Your just hyper-criticizing your car.

My supra had its alignment checked, i had it adjusted to near factory specs. And it still "pulls to the right" - as for feeling the road my GXE is a smoother ride than the supra, only second to muh durango..

I find myself going in joy-rides in my sentra. --- its just fun for some strange reason.

·
Registered
8 Posts
sinner said:
some reason after i got new rims my ride got better. But it was never bad in the first place. Now its supra smooth.
This goes for me, too. Not only did the ride get better, but the road noise was a lot more consistent. If you can abide the sheer ugliness of the Ford, I know that people disliking the ride of the Sentra were going to the Focus.

I still maintain that those Firehawk GTAs are Fred Flintstone wheels. I won't be in the least surprised when they're recalled :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
bort13 said:
I still maintain that those Firehawk GTAs are Fred Flintstone wheels. I won't be in the least surprised when they're recalled :)
The 205/55R16 Firehawk GTA 02s that come standard with the '00/'01 Altima SEs *were* in fact recalled last February. Apparently, there was insufficient clearance between the steel belt and the interior sidewalls, causing chaffing (sp?) and cracking. I called Nissan Consumer Affairs a few months ago, and was told the 195/55R16 Firehawks on our Sentra SEs are *not* affected by the recall. Which is a shame because I truly believe those Firehawks should only ever be used on the sides of harbour tugboats. Or burned for fuel.

Do you think that, if enough Sentra SE owners call Nissan to express concern about their Firehawk tires (in the light on the Explorer and Altima tire recalls), Nissan will extend the recall to include our tires?

Fred Flintstone = "FF"
"FF" = Firestone Firehawk
Coincidence?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rough Ride

If the mechanic who does the recall does not do the bolts one at a time, it could cause a rough ride. You have to tighten the lower control arm bolts with the weight of the suspension already applied, otherwise it will 'bind' causing a rough riding sensation.

I had this problem with my BMW after I replaced the lower control arm in my driveway. I just loosened the bolts, put the car's weight down on that wheel, and torqued them again. All was well after that.

Of course, I don't know if this directly relates to your Sentra's problem, but it is something to consider.

·
Registered
435 Posts
dleong said:

The 205/55R16 Firehawk GTA 02s that come standard with the '00/'01 Altima SEs *were* in fact recalled last February. Apparently, there was insufficient clearance between the steel belt and the interior sidewalls, causing chaffing (sp?) and cracking. I called Nissan Consumer Affairs a few months ago, and was told the 195/55R16 Firehawks on our Sentra SEs are *not* affected by the recall. Which is a shame because I truly believe those Firehawks should only ever be used on the sides of harbour tugboats. Or burned for fuel.

Do you think that, if enough Sentra SE owners call Nissan to express concern about their Firehawk tires (in the light on the Explorer and Altima tire recalls), Nissan will extend the recall to include our tires?

Fred Flintstone = "FF"
"FF" = Firestone Firehawk
Coincidence?

i have an altima 2000 gxe that had firestone affinity 15 in tires.. those went bald at around 17-18,000 miles.. now i'm on 15 in firehawks.. they're a lot better than the affinitys but i'm still concerned because they're both firestone...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts