B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't had any problems at all out of my wonderful SpecV, until now! Cams didn't throw codes, idle was great, ran strong. I've done all my mods myself, without incident. Then I just had to open the Intake Manifold to check the butterfly valve screws as a precaution, since I've seen all the problems some have had.
All screws were tight :)

I was careful to not drop anything into the runners. I reused the IM and TB gaskets(bad, I know), everything got tq'd to specs, and hoses all reconnected. Started up and idle was fine, but I drove it and as soon as i got to higher rpm's, the engine got louder than I've ever heard it, and the knock sensor reading went way high(54) on the SAFC-II. :eek:

Hoses were all still fine, so I took the IM back off, re-torqued it down, and it idled fine again. Then the same thing happened once i hit high rpm's (4k or so) again. Now it does it during idle and driving at any rpm, though the vibration is more noticeable during acceleration and engine braking. :(

Symptoms:
1) Engine loud (can't tell if it's valves tapping or what)
2) Engine noticeable shakes while idling
3) Power loss is minimal
4) Now throwing a P0011 code after driving conservatively for 400 miles or so
5) Only 1000 miles since last oil change(Mobil 1 5W-30) and it's black as can be, with some silver streaking on the oil cap and Cam Position Sensor

I only have 14000 miles on this car, but with Nismo cams in, I'm afraid the dealer will void my warranty and shovel me off like a pile of poop. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks a bunch :D

edit: new IM gasket didn't help, TB gasket on backorder(put a small amount of liquid gasket on each side of old TB gasket to ensure good seal in the meantime), idle is normal speed (750-800rpm)

·
Registered
29 Posts
unfortunately, this one is intake cam related. the ecu is seeing that the angle of advance the cams SHOULD be at is not happening. ground your KS for starters (thats just a side note). anyways, to fix this problem, you should pull the timing cover, set cyl. 1 to TDC, pull the timing gear cover, and make sure the cams are installed correctly. if they are, your VTC control unit may be dead. if you cant figure it out, take it to a stealership as a last resort.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything in my head is saying the same thing... I just can't get over the coincidence of it all happening on the first drive after taking the IM off, and it's been 2000 miles since putting the cams in... :(

Valve cover is coming off today, looks like...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cams checked out ok. Valve lash is still in spec for all lobes, and timing still appears right.

Another possible theory: I notice when I take off the upper IM, that the runner for #4 cylinder has more oil around it than the other cylinders. Is this normal, since it is closest to the PCV hose? Could it be possible that the IM gasket blew around that runner, and air got sucked into that cylinder all at once, causing damage from being too lean in that cylinder?

Just throwing something up in the air... :p

One intake lobe for that cylinder appears to be worn slightly more than the rest, but nothing major. Boy this engine oil sure is full of black junk...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took it to the dealer today, and they won't even touch the engine because I have cams. How can they prove the problem is because of the cams if they don't even open it up? It's what I expected out of them anyway, so...

Looks more and more like a new engine for me and my pocketbook!
(I can't whine, because I knew what I was doing to my warranty when I put the cams in... I just hoped they would at least diagnose it first)

Called 800NISSAN1 but I have very low expectations. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They saw that the silicone gasket stuff was red instead of grey, and they asked me if anyone had been in my engine. Since it was pretty obvious, I told them. Also, back when I was getting the cams put in, I took it to the dealer for them to do it, since it would be at least *less bad* for my warranty situation. However, they kept it all day, and just gave it back to me later and said they didn't want to touch it. So I took it to someone else who I trusted to do it exactly right.

They ran beautifully for 4000 miles, and this sh** happened all of a sudden. It just doesn't add up to the cams being the problem. I've seen others here and on thevboard who have had their 2004 SpecV's blow up with under 15k miles, and they had no internals done. I wish they would at least *consider* the possibility that the cams aren't the cause...

But who am I, but a simple 3-time Nissan owner... :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, a little bit goes on the valve cover too, but mainly on the timing cover. It goes all around that one, and is very hard to miss. The tube of silicone gasket is from Nissan, but it's red instead of grey.

·
I'm with your mom
1,540 Posts
tell them you have nismo cams,
you sure that they can deny the work cuz of cams? they dont void the warranty remember

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I told them they're Nismo cams, and I told 1800NISSAN1 they're Nismo... They're supposed to call the dealer within 48 hours (that was 9am today, so far they haven't called them) to discuss the situation. If I get screwed over like I expect, I'm going to have them do a diagnostic, and if they can't prove it's because of the cams, I see a court case coming up in a hurry.

Can anyone think of a reason why cams would behave flawlessly for 3000 miles, no muck in the oil during that time, and all of a sudden *BANG* the engine gets a shimmy, and muck all in the oil?

·
I'm with your mom
1,540 Posts
this only happened after u took ur intake manifold off? make sure u put all the bolts back on. iono, change ur oil too i guess, try and get an oil catch can...i'm just spitting out idea's

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya, and i appreciate all help. :)

I just can't believe that this is all caused by the intake manifold being taken off/being put back on, either... I used a tq wrench, double-checked all hoses. How many hundreds have done it without *any* problems at all? Even those who forgot hoses or broke bolts didn't have major problems.

I'm so frustrated, and don't want to blow 5 grand on a new engine...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll just say this: If I *do* get a new engine from Nissan, I'm not putting cams back in until the warranty is over, regardless of whether they caused the problem or not.

However, the power gain was real, and noticeable. I was extremely happy with the cams, and I still don't think they caused this problem. I'll see later this week, hopefully, what the real cause was. (Unless I get a new engine from warranty, in which case I will not care, and just be happy to not be screwed)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: Took the car to a different dealership (as advised by 1800NISSAN1), and they are diagnosing it for me :D They couldn't figger out what it was with their equipment, or by calling Nissan engineers, but they said they are getting a machine delivered on Monday (new, or back from repair, I forget) which the engineers said should be able to diagnose the problem exactly.

Today(after returning from the different dealership), I twice heard a grinding noise which seemed to come from the area in front of the lower firewall, or below that (balance shaft ***'y?). It did not sound good at all, but it only lasted less than a second each time, and the engine didn't stumble when I heard it. Hope that machine gets here quick... :p

Keepin my fingers crossed...

·
Registered
230 Posts
hey dude there is a topic about SES lights and codes in the STICKY PART of the coulumn

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, dealer opened up the valve cover, and says there is a little wear on the cam bearings, and there is noise from down in the block somewhere. They don't want to go any deeper, so they are just saying the cams are the cause, even though they also say the cams appear to be installed correctly.

End result: NO WARRANTY
Cost of new engine: $4680 installed including taxes

At this point, I don't really feel like there are any other options, so I guess I have to cough up the dough... been renting a car for a few days already, and I guess I will keep renting for a few more days till i get money and it's fixed. :(

·
Casual Lurker
2,135 Posts
they need to give you a reason as to why the cams are the problem and what is actually wrong with the engine. If is something like the main bearing going bad or the balance shaft is faulty that can't be blamed on the cam install..

You are taking this too easily.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts