B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone on this forum taken out their stock cat (secondary) for high-flow or test pipe?

Just asking 'cuz i'm looking at getting SSR's midpipe which goes from where the Hotshot/Nismo headers end to where ur catback begins and eliminates ur cat all together, just wanna see what people have to say if they'r either cat-less or high-flow.

Sound? Loudness? Deep? Honda-sounding? Noticable power gains? etc

Thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don't know how emissions is in WI but you'll most likely not pass. but as far as power... of course you'll gain some if you got a header and cat back and intake. you're motor will be fully opened up. it will get louder and maybe a little raspy... you'll most likely not like it

·
Foolishly Impractical
966 Posts
IMO the few horsepower you would gain wouldnt be worth the noise, and pollution you'd be putting out without a catylitic converter in there.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SSR-Engineering is who I'm talking about, and they've treated me w/ alot of respect and have been very helpful w/ answering all my questions about there parts and turbo kits.

Hey u don't need to flame on me for asking people's opinion that have it already done, which is what i was asking for. This so far has been the only import that still has a cat on it that i've owned and my Teg and 2g DSM both benefited from replacing the cats w/ test pipes. Just trying to see about this car from others that have done it.

Wisconsin has no emissions, so i don't have to worry about that at all. Pollution? I'm already doing that all the time... 11.9-12.1 air/fuel ratios across the powerband and since we have 330cc injectors that's alot of fuel to b dumping, but that's what my car liked to b at for the best power from low end to top end. Hey I'm just looking at what to do next on my SpecV for some power and since the UR pulley hasn't shown me it's worth the $190-250 for 1-3whp, 2-4wtq that i've been seeing in before and after dyno's I'm looking into other ways of gaining some power for under $300. Just getting info. But thanx for ur opinions they're well noted and apperciated, Thanks.

Later,

Jay

·
Engaged! :)
2,687 Posts
I removed both of my cats.... the only one I have left is the precat which will be eliminated once I get my header... (if I ever buy it :rolleyes: ) it was way too loud with a muffler and 2.25" piping all the way.... I added a small little ceramic resonator to quiet it down. it feels alot "free flowing" that's for sure :p :D

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
TeknoPunk said:
I removed both of my cats.... the only one I have left is the precat which will be eliminated once I get my header... (if I ever buy it :rolleyes: ) it was way too loud with a muffler and 2.25" piping all the way.... I added a small little ceramic resonator to quiet it down. it feels alot "free flowing" that's for sure :p :D
There is 1 pre-cat and 1 cat... so you cannot have removed 2 cat and leave the pre-cat :confused: What you are probably think is the second "can" under the car is the resonator on the same piping of the mid-pipe and you removed it also. And prior to the resonator there is the cat along with the down-pipe ;)

And everybody that have Stillen header or the 1st gen AEBS header are also catless so you might ask to them too 2K3SilverSpecV

·
Grimey :D
462 Posts
the stillen header elemenates both cats but i have 2 resonators after the race pipe

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have no cats on a AEBS with 2.5 stainless all the way back and it's way too loud. Random Technology is building me a cat right now. Also you will get backfiring and power loss, it's simply too wide open at that point.

·
SER Mod Father
3,419 Posts
I had a 2.5" with dp and a Magnaflow high flow cat and resonator (when NA) and had to go 3" with turbo (no cat, no res.). They're both freakin loud and both backfire when you let off the throttle hard (with no silencer).

·
wanna be car guy
542 Posts
If you are going to do this check www.hpautoworks.com. Andy has a great reputation for service and to date has not blown up any customer cars(like ssr). They have a down pipe on the market. Pitula (sp?) has not cats and had a BIG resinator welded in this car it was like 24" and 3" dia I think. PM him about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts