B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I got my car October 2k...it has 8700 miles on it already due to alot of work traveling. For some reason I checked my fluid tanks and I saw that my anti-freezer tank was almost empty. Is this abnormal for a new car?? Anyone else noticed the same thing?

Also, I asked people around that you are supposed to use your antifreezer 50/50 with water...they were like noooo, just pour the entire thing in pure.

This is bad aint it?

------------------
"ya nahmean?"
------------------
2k1 Sentra SE w/PP
Granite & Manual Trans.
20% Tinted Windows
Alpine CDA-7965 Unit
PPI PC6600 Amp
Cust. Built Box w/
3 JL 10w3 Subs
Cust. Short Shifter

Waamm!
[email protected]

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have always used 60-70% antifreeze. A straight antifreeze solution in the system will start eating away parts of your radiator.

------------------
I wish my garage included '67 Toyota 2000GT, several years of 240Zs, my crunched '85 Supra, the last Supra and 300ZX Turbos, Lotus Elise, and my first, a '79 Celica GT.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
60% anti-freeze and 40% water is always a good combination thats what i've always used when ever i flush my radiator.....nevr use straight anti-freeze......

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
ChinoTooNice:

You don't ever want to use pure antifreeze. Believe it or not pure antifreeze freezes at I believe 22 F (above zero) Also water is the best fluid except for liquid sodium for heat capacity. That means water removes more heat from your engine than antifreeze. 50/50 mix is best. Also I always add a can of water pump lubricant/anticorrosion fluid. Just get the $1 variety instead of the $2.50 one that prestone likes to sell you. Gunk makes it and there are others. It defenitely saves on waterpumps. I always keep cars over 100,000 miles and only ever had 1 water pump go out on me.

Later

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with Auto

·
Registered
35 Posts
Approx. 50-50 is probably OK for most climates. I believe adc is mistaken about anti-freeze freezing above 0 degrees. I think the reason to mix anti-freeze and water is to help on both ends of the scale, both freezing point AND boiling point.

The tank you are noticing is empty is not a storage tank for your coolant. It is I believe a spillover reservoir. So instead of your system over-pressurizing, it pushes the excess into the reservoir. Later extra that is in the reservoir gets drawn back into the system. Not having any in there doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem. If you are concerned I would probably just pop the radiator cap and have a look. (Wait about 12 hours for the car to cool off before you do that though!)

------------------
2001 Sentra SE+PP 5 speed Canadian model

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Neild:
No offence taken but I'm not wrong on that number. Put pure antifreeze in the freezer and it will freeze. I'll get the exact number when I find it. Like I said water is a better carrier of heat than antifreeze. Boilover is also no problem because at 20 pounds of radiator pressure, pure water boils at 260 degrees. Thats why in an emergency you can drive with pure water in radiator.

Later,
Al

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with Auto

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info., guys.

------------------
"Haters Hate This."
------------------
2k1 Sentra SE w/PP
Granite & Manual Trans.
20% Tinted Windows
Alpine CDA-7965 Unit
PPI PC6600 Amp
Cust. Built Box w/
3 JL 10w3 Subs
Cust. Short Shifter

Waamm!
[email protected]

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
After further checking the stuff will freeze at anywhere from 1 to 10 degrees above zero. I stuck some in the freezer and it did not freeze at 5 Degrees F. It boils at 390 degrees but thats not the issue. Perhaps the 60% mixture that rev4ever uses is best recommendation since Prestone calls for 50 to 70%. But anyway 100% ain't the way to go.

Al

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with Auto

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I gotcha. Tell that to my bro and father who have ford trucks and they always used pure .lol.

------------------
"Haters Hate This."
------------------
2k1 Sentra SE w/PP
Granite & Manual Trans.
20% Tinted Windows
Alpine CDA-7965 Unit
PPI PC6600 Amp
Cust. Built Box w/
3 JL 10w3 Subs
Cust. Short Shifter

Waamm!
[email protected]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Pure anti-freeze by itself will freeze. The reason some garages top off low rad with pure antifreeze is that they are too lazy to mix in water. This may be a blessing also since most will just add in plain tap water...which will clog the passage way with sodium...always use distilled water.

------------------
mexican heartache-GXE, refuelling convienence pkg. engine warmer, shaggy car mats.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Good point with the distilled water. I use it but very few peopoe do.

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with Auto

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.