B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shouldn't we shift at 6500 rpm for the optimal pickup and speed??? I've been doing it all wrong if not!!!!

------------------
2001 Black Sentra SE with Performance Package, JWT pop cone intake, clear turn signal bulbs, razo carbon pedals, neon cable interior kit :eek:) CUSTOM grille

·
B15Sentra.net Hater
0 Posts
I shift exactly at redline, even though the car gets it's peak HP at 6500 I believe when I'm in the next gear I get more torque that way

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE 5spd Black, Free air mod, K&N
1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 5spd Black

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have been told that the best way to shift while racing is to do what is called a POWER SHIFT.

basically its done by shifting without really releasing the accelerator.

EXAMPLE:
lets say im in 2nd gear and about to hit 60mph and my RPM is at 6,500.
when i shift, i dont relaese my foot off the accelerator competely. instead, i hold it in about half way and quickly and smoothly i shift into 4th gear. with teh accelerator at that half way position, the RPMs do not drop too low and if done properly, you should not see your RPM needle drop anylower when you shift.

this is the way that i do it, i cant remember the exact position of the throttle, but i hope you got the idea.

if anyone can correct my method, please do.

------------------
visit my site
OH, i ride in a
2001 SE, color = Jaded, has the Super-Sized Performance-Package, 5 gears, no gascap holder, 16 inch 6 spoke alloy wheels by O.E.M., and an overhead compartment for storing my $10 sunglasses while i zig-zag past Honduhs on the street.
in da future i wanna
PR CAI, Stillen front-end, and a nice sexy exhaust note.

·
Slowcars4life
126 Posts
I always thought about trying it, but I shift right at redline and I figured by the time I shifted it would hit the rev limiter. It probably isn't to good for you synchros either.

------------------
White 95 Sentra GLE

·
Registered
75 Posts
Shifting... I don't know much about performance driving, but for normal everyday driving, I actually learned a few pointers from some of the Honda Insight web site (Don't ask why I was there). I now shift at a 1-2-5 pattern or when up hill, 1-2-4 pattern. I down shift to 3 or 4 only when I pass someone, or go up hill and needs more power. I usually rev high enough to let me smoothly go in to my crusing gear (4th or 5th depends on the speed I need or the enviornment uphill downhill) This SAVES GAS a bit... with gas prices this high, when I'm not in a hurry, this is pretty good.

Okay, but you guys wanna know performance?! Well... there's always heel-to-toe (we all know what that can do, and how it works) and double-clutch, which is, the next gear you go in to, you get higher torque, as if you're running a lower gear, at much faster speed! You guys can always search these techniques up on the web!

Those funny Japanese videos like Best Motoring has monthly older Japanese guys trying out super cars and cool sports car on the track, they have camera that shows their foot work... learn from those, practice a lot, and of course, be safe!

(you guys wouldn't wanna smoke out your clutch like my prelude... well... not smoke out, but it's really worn down from all the fooling around)

That's my two cents...

------------------
Jay
1997 Honda Prelude Type S
Getting a Sentra SE Sport soon!

·
Registered
623 Posts
ok, if u do the "power shift" u'll put extreme stress on ur tranny. i used to to that on hondas ALL the time when i used to drag. and it didnt do much. it helps if u have lighten pullies, flywheel and stuff. not if u have a stock motor.

and the heal-toe trick is for fast cornering. u dont need to do that on the street.

i agree with the 1-2-5 or 1-2-4 shifting. i dunno about saving gas, the motor eats more gas when the its revved high. but its deff faster to get upto driving speed.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
623 Posts
say when ur going into a turn, u'll brake hard b4 the turn, clutch in and blimp ur gas while u trail brake into the turn. by blimp ur gas, it will then to torque the front end of the car up. so it will reduce the dive effect when u brake hard. this will also bring or keep ur rpm high so when u come out of the turn, the powerband will be at its highest for torque so it can pull out faster.

[This message has been edited by chinoworld (edited April 02, 2001).]

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think I understand, so you hold down both the brake and the gas and the clutch a little when going into a turn??? - This I definately don't understand!!!
:)

------------------
2001 Black Sentra SE with Performance Package, JWT pop cone intake, clear turn signal bulbs, razo carbon pedals, neon cable interior kit :eek:) CUSTOM grille
PICS - http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1587801&a=12376730&f=0&vt=vp

·
Registered
119 Posts
JayT, I don't think your explanation of double-clutching is accurate. Double clutching is a technique used to get past that annoying synchro lock we all run into when we try to shift into first gear while the car is still going. This lock is in place to protect bad drivers from accidently doing a 2-1 when they wanted a 2-3 shift.

Let's say you're autocrossing and you're going around a turn in second gear and you would like to downshift to first gear. Those of you that have manuals know that you can't just push in the clutch and move the shifter into first. It is locked out by a synchro lock. The lock is only released when the car either slows down to 5mph or less or you trick it by doing the double clutch technique.

This is how it is done<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Push in the clutch and move the stick into neutral position
<LI>Release the clutch completely.
<LI>Blip the throttle to match your RPM's for the appropriate speed you'd be going in first gear!!!
<LI>Push the clutch back in and you should be able to push the shifter into first as long as your revs are still matched</UL>

As you can see the name makes sense now considering you push in the clutch twice. It is imperative that you match your revs to the speed you are going or else you won't get by the lock. Much practice is needed to execute this quickly and properly. Even then, there is good possibilities for blowing a clutch or tearing mounts. Be careful.

------------------
rschauby

2001 Sentra SE w/PP auto (radium)
FOR SALE!
I want the new SE-R!

·
Registered
623 Posts
b4 u go into a turn, u'll brake hard, shift into apropiate gear for getting out of the turn. while ur going into the apex, u hold ur brake down and blimp ur gas to maitain engine speed. u do this while the clutch is in.

·
Slowcars4life
126 Posts
I got bored driving today and tried shifting without taking my foot off the gas. It chirped second gear harder than usual. I figured out that I don't shift as slow as I thought I did. It didn't rev up while I changed gears.

------------------
White 95 Sentra GLE

·
Registered
75 Posts
You're right, that's how you do double clutch (but it does help a bit normally)
As for Heel to Toe, yah, it's for those hard corners, and you wanna be able to go in and out of it without scraficing your brake pads in a sense (while getting good speed and control and all the other goodies)
Normally, you should do it if you do a lot of engine braking (as I was told), it doesn't wear out your clutch as fast. (like my Prelude)
But I still gotta practice all these techniques... you kinda have to get use to them...
:)

------------------
Jay

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
I still say break pads are cheaper than clutches.

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

·
Registered
75 Posts
sorry, I'm gonna make more sense on this reply! :)
Heel to toe, correct me please if I'm wrong, you down shift while reving your engine to match the engine speed with the car... that is to control the RPM from shooting up when you down shift. So, heel to toe save your clutch while doing those fast turns in to corners with lower gears (you do engine braking while you brake, so you can brake later than usual, you slow down a lot faster, and with lower gears, you can accelerate faster out of the turn)...

Whatever it is, these techniques suppose to help out your clutch from being wreak up like mine (that is if you do it properly), that is what I have been told.

------------------
Jay

·
Registered
623 Posts
sorry guys, double clutch and heal-toe really dont have anything to do with each other unless u come out of the turn in 1st. when u heal-toe, ur clutch is always in (clutch pedal drepressed). u do that b/c when u blimp the gas, the car wont go any faster. i dunno if u any of u guys had those pedal covers and accidently press the gas when u hit the brake without the clutch, it will speed up not slow down. thats the point of the clutch, ill keep ur engine spinnin fast b/c ur holding the gas down and slowing the car down with the brakes.

and when u burn ur cluth, thats b/c u reved ur motor too high and letting the clutch out too slow.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Going into first while moving at all can start to do damage if done frequently and going into it at speeds over 5 can be pretty bad too. Double Clutching is used by truckers, since they have no synchromesh on their rigs, but I know in a frontier forum they were saying that going into first can be a bad thing to do frequently.

FrontierBoy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts