B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If some of you are cramped for space in your sentra (possibly?) there is a definite solution for your problems. Instead of wasting money and space on a big box you could just replace the rear sub and/or replace the OEM oversized six inchers. In case you were wondering, Kicker makes two different versions of 6 1/2 inch subwoofers, one of them requiring no box. JL Audio also makes a 6 1/2 inch sub. While I have not heard the JL's, I have the Kicker free-air subs in my rear deck of my 240 and they sound fantastic. The bass/midbass response is amazing. All you would need is sheet of Dynamat Extreme a tiny 100-200 watt amp and boom, your done. A perfect match for the front components with no trunk rattle. If you replace the two factory rears, then you're talking about 13 inches of cone space! Replace the factory sub and it's over 18 inches. That's alot of space for no box. What do you guys think?

------------------
97 nissan 240 se, stock (for now) except for custom sounds.
01 nissan sentra se/pp, stock (my girl's car).

·
Registered
7 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nismo240:
If some of you are cramped for space in your sentra (possibly?) there is a definite solution for your problems. Instead of wasting money and space on a big box you could just replace the rear sub and/or replace the OEM oversized six inchers. In case you were wondering, Kicker makes two different versions of 6 1/2 inch subwoofers, one of them requiring no box. JL Audio also makes a 6 1/2 inch sub. While I have not heard the JL's, I have the Kicker free-air subs in my rear deck of my 240 and they sound fantastic. The bass/midbass response is amazing. All you would need is sheet of Dynamat Extreme a tiny 100-200 watt amp and boom, your done. A perfect match for the front components with no trunk rattle. If you replace the two factory rears, then you're talking about 13 inches of cone space! Replace the factory sub and it's over 18 inches. That's alot of space for no box. What do you guys think?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you talking about 'free-airs/infinite baffle'? I always thought they sounded crappy vs. a sub in a box. Don't get me wrong I'm still bone stock but I'd rather go with a small sealed box. My previous car had (2) JL 12W6's powered by a PPI A600 which sounded pretty good but each sub required 1.5 cubic feet. But your suggestion uses the least space. Just my opinion - Loco

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's an idea I came up with:

Mobile Authority makes an enclosed tube 18" long. I could place the tube upright so it would be directly under the hole where the sub is, and could move the air through that hole. This would make it less muffled than it would be just sitting in an exclosure in the trunk. Not sure how high the trunk is, but maybe i could put something under it if its more than 18".

I saw those kicker 6 1/2 " subs, and I think 3 of them would sound pretty good for a quick solution, but not as deep as a single 10" would.

[This message has been edited by DuffMan (edited March 29, 2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts