B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought the HS cai from Southwest auto as the guy told me it had been redone with a new MAF plate and bushings etc...and pretty much sold me as I was going to buy the AEM till I heard about the problems of mounts breaking. Now that it's here it's sitting on my floor as I'm questioning making the right choice.I guess the mount problem dosent apply cause this did'nt come with any also I just found out that the bypass valve dosent fit HS.
This is my first new car and I want only the best!
Should I just keep it or should I send it back and go for the AEM or the Place Racing?

Guess it helps to mention it's a 2001 SE M/T

·
Nissan RICE Division
810 Posts
I say go with AEM. I've had mine since they first came out for the SE and have never had a problem.

Not sure if they make a bypass valve for the SE CAI though. If they do, let me know because I could sure use one!

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
BLAZETIGER said:
I say go with AEM. I've had mine since they first came out for the SE and have never had a problem.

Not sure if they make a bypass valve for the SE CAI though. If they do, let me know because I could sure use one!
why? he's already paid for the HS, and Hotshot makes just as good a product as any.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the aem for the SE seems to give better results due to the smaller piping diameter (2.5" vs. 3" for hotshot).

Is this true?

·
2busy4b15/but watch it
11,651 Posts
well the obvious biggest gain was at 4500 rpms. 10 ft lbs of torque maximum. at that point. so approximatly up from 121 hp to 131 hp at that point. at that same point where was my max increase hp occured up from 103hp to 112hp.

i would roughly say that increased the linear powerband by about 5 over all which is what kind of power i was hoping for. after peak the car made more hp by 7 accross the top of the band.

i actually lost power on a later dyno from doing my timing on the fly.. i was more than likely over doing it at that point.

cant wait to get this new car tuned to get its numbers with the header :)(this car feels stronger oddly.. could be the clutch)

edit.. i noticed peak gain.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A friend of mine told me that the bigger the air flow the better so I installed the HS , which so far gives pretty good performance. I just recieved the bypass valve from AEM... hopefully this will work.......

P.S...thanks for the dyno results!

·
Registered
227 Posts
i have found through reSEARCHINIG that the AEM bypass valve doesnt fit any CAI made for the Spec V. There isnt enough room for it. As far as securing your HS CAI, I have found, again through reSEARCH, that you can secure it by taking a 3/8" inch rubber fuel lines and cut it in the middle of the tube. Take the tube and line the hole where the pipe goes down by the wheel well.

·
sonnypippo
6,461 Posts
Britjamcoolie said:
A friend of mine told me that the bigger the air flow the better so I installed the HS , which so far gives pretty good performance. I just recieved the bypass valve from AEM... hopefully this will work.......
yeah i'm not sure that will work. 009 installed one on his AEM, which uses 2.5" piping. so i'm thinking it probably won't fit the hotshot 3" piping. keep us posted...

·
Tired...New Father
1,693 Posts
The shop that worked on mine said that they could get a bypass that would fit the Ingen if I wanted to look there for the CAI...I think that the Ingen has 2.75" ro 3" piping if I remember correctly...don't know if that helps you at all...though after speaking with a tech at AEM they do not really recommend that anyone uses a bypass on anything but AEM...I can't imagine that it would really make a diff...probably just to aid in swaying people to look toward AEM instead...hope this helps...?? Good gains on my AEM though someone commented about perhaps getting bogged down by installing the bypass (and he could be right!!!)...I can kinda see how if that would be related to distrubing the origional form of the cai but still feels real nice...I will try to dyno as soon as I can to see what comes out as compared to other dynos I've seen on the SE both stock and modded...still though it may bog down I sleep a little better with a the bit of insurance the Bypass gives me though the actual need for it may not ever come about...

·
Registered
79 Posts
HS CAI advice:

To stop the CAI from rattling, disconnect the battery cable closest to the drivers side, wrap it around the intake tube and then reconnect it to the battery. You may have to slide the battery over to the right a little for the cable to reach. My car has has been running like this for a year with no more rattle and no problems.

Also, replace the cheesy HS "Hyper-Flow" filter with a K&N cone filter. It's a better filter and may prevent expensive MAF failure.

Lasty, use a bunch of duct tape under the plastic fender well gaps/holes to prevent dirt and water from hitting the filter. This really helped keep the filter clean.

Enjoy!

·
sonnypippo
6,461 Posts
SE-YA! said:
HS CAI advice:

Also, replace the cheesy HS "Hyper-Flow" filter with a K&N cone filter. It's a better filter and may prevent expensive MAF failure.
is that advice from HS as well??

i kid, i kid! :p

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The 20-403 model Bypass valve fit the 3''intake nice and snug.....
Also I was able to wedge the intake into the hole without widening so there is no rattling as it held pretty good but not too tight, I just had to shift the battery as far to the left as I could.
I also cut the HS intake for the bypass valve, plugged the hole for the sensor and drilled a new hole further up, as it made no sense to have the bypass valve after the sensor..all in all I think it came out real proffessional and I'll post pictures as soon as I get my hands on a camera.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts