B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been answered before but I forget the answer and the search is not working! My friend has a Bazooka EL8A-HP amplified sub. Which he is going to give to me. My question is can I Hook this up right to the factory sub or something like that? I dont want to have to wire it all the way the the head unit! Thanks in advance!

------------------
My 2001 Sentra SE and my jet-ski's are my favorite toys!!!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes, if the amplifier accepts line level (speaker) inputs. This is the optimal line to tap into because I think the signal might already be crossed over. You also can control the volume of the sub with the stock units bass level control which is really nice.

Don't get too excited and think it will be simple now. You still need a turn on signal (unless you have the new MTX amps which use the speaker leads as turn ons). I am not sure if the stock unit has an extra turn on lead. If it does it will probably be a power antennae lead (blue). If not you can tap into the cigarette lighter outlets or check the fuse junction box for any open accessories slots.

------------------
rschauby

2001 Sentra SE w/PP auto (radium)
1998 SE-R 5spd

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I don't know too much about the factory head unit but I do know that it doesn't have the turn on lead cause I was gonna run an amp with my factory stereo and it didn't have one....

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back,Place Racing CAI

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

***My Website***

·
Registered
59 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rschauby:
Yes, if the amplifier accepts line level (speaker) inputs. This is the optimal line to tap into because I think the signal might already be crossed over. You also can control the volume of the sub with the stock units bass level control which is really nice.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you run an aftermarket amp/sub off the speaker inputs... does the power of the amp and the power originally in the line add? Do you see what I am saying? I have never messed with amps before. I didn't know if the sub in this case would see just the power output of the amp, or if it would see the amp's power plus the power in the input speaker line?

thanks,

------------------
2k Sentra SE w/PP
Radium
(no mods yet)

·
Registered
7 Posts
No, the power does not exactly add up. The amplifier in your sub will have a very high resistance, so very little actual power is going into it's inputs. It just using that signal as a source, and does all the amplification itself.

However, if the volume is higher on the input, it will be amplified more by the sub. I'm not sure which would sound better using the output from the stock amp in the back, or using the output from the head (which would require a higher gain setting on your sub for the same amount of power). Experiment and find out I guess.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Your best bet is to buy a line-level converter and connect it at the back of the radio. Or change the factory head unit to one that has preouts already. You could probably get the amp turn on from the back of the harness plugged into the factory sub.

------------------
97 nissan 240 se, stock (for now) except for custom sounds.
01 nissan sentra se/pp, stock (my girl's car).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts