B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my amp & sub in from Crutchfield, so I am ready for the install. I already ran my power cord to the trunk, hooked up the ground wire, and I installed my 10" Infinity sub in the Q-Logic box. Now I have a couple of questions. I searched the archived forums, and found that the black/white wire to the amp is the remote power lead. Is the factory amp in the milky-colored plastic box suspending from the bottom of the rear deck? How do I get to the wiring? I am wanting to use the inputs for the factory sub as my inputs for the Infinity sub. What would be the best way to go about doing that? Hopefully, I can get this straightened out this afternoon, and finish the installation by the end of the day.

For those who kept the factory head unit and have a enclosed sub...How exactly did you do the wiring?

Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well first off, the factory amp is in the case hanging under the sub. I checked my setup and found that the light blue/white wire was the factory turn on lead. The black and white might be the power lead to the battery(not sure). To get to the wiring, there is a connector that plugs into the factory amp, that you could use. Using the factory inputs might be the hard part. I'm sure that they are speaker level inputs, so if you have speaker level/high level inputs on you ramp, no need to worry about that, but if you don't, then you will need a line converter(think thats what its called) to change them to line level inputs. There is also one input for each of the channels(front l/r, rear l/r). In mine I just used the rears for now. I just connected the wires together in the right place and waaam, good enough bass for me. Hope this helps you out a bit.:)

P.S. If any of this might be incorrect feel free to correct me. Thanks.:cool:

[Edited by 01Sentra on 05-24-2001 at 12:18 PM]

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info...it really helps.

My amp has both speaker level inputs and an adapter for high level inputs. Which one should I use? I don't really understand the difference between the two...I just know that there is one. What would sound better? I might end up getting an aftermarker head unit, so this will probably be temporary.

·
Registered
78 Posts
luv2play18 said:
i suggest using the speaaker level inputs thats what i did with mine and i think it sounds better than the other way
I agree, the speaker level inputs would be the easiest right now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys...all of you.

Now...I'm just sitting around waiting on work to get over so I can go home and finish installing my sub/amp.:)

One more thing...How did you guys secure your box?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine our heavy enough to sit there by themselfs, the only problem I'm having now is that the carpet is sliding around.:(

·
Registered
311 Posts
L-brackets are the way to go for securing big boxes, for small boxes, velcro might be good. I've also heard that bunjee cords work, but depending on how you do it, it might look a little ghetto-fabulous.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Amp turn on wire!!!

Just so you guys know, the factory turn on lead is too weak to turn on an aftermarket amp. In fact, it is too weak to even drive a relay (30 amp). If you wire an amp, you will have to get it from the ignition wire.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Maybe, but it works just fine on mine. But then I dont have a huge amp. Thought the turn on lead just had to be a 12v source.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hook up my system last night. Since the factory wiring was so small, I just used the high input connections on my amp with the provided adapter. I ran the "left +" and "left -" wires to the left rear speaker. I know that I have the polarity right, but for some reason I am getting no sound from my sub. The rear deck speakers still works, and my amp is getting power, because the lights are coming on. I am trying to hook it up "ghetto-style" for right now, because I have decided to get a new headunit which will allow me to run RCA to the amp. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I had thought about using velcro, because I just have a single 10" sub box, and I don't think it is heavy enough to keep itself from moving.

·
Registered
78 Posts
How do you have the sub hooked up to the amp? If it's bridged, it should be fine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I have the two channel amp bridged running to my sub. My buddy has a line-out converter he said I could use that would allow me to run RCA inputs into the amp. Would that make a difference? If I ran the left rear speaker inputs into the line converter, then the two RCA cables into the amp?

·
Registered
78 Posts
The sound might be better, but I'm not sure on that. The converter might fix the problem, cuz maybe the speaker adapter has a problem with it.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
You probably need both right and left inputs to the amp. If you're giving it only one side of the input, it does'nt have the whole signal to amplify! The adapter might have an adjustable screw, which can crank the gain, so you can turn down the gain on the amp. Keep the gain on the amp as low as possible, and you'll get less static. Turn the gain all the way down, crank the deck as loud as any of the other speakers can go, the slowly turn the gain up until the sub is as loud as it can go, too. Hope this helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts