B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
R3g1st3r3d Us3r
Joined
·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. I have searched and searched and searched.

I just recently replaced my stock deck with a pioneer deh-p3600.

I just got a box and two 10" pioneer 500w subs.... I have a pioneer 760w amp. Where the hell do I wire up the power lead for the amp? Can I tap into the power lead going to the head unit? Or wtf do I do?

What have you guys done?

TIA
-Ari
 

·
King of OT
Joined
·
5,210 Posts
If you're talking about the remote turn on wire, there is a spot specifically on the deck for this....
 

·
Hater
Joined
·
907 Posts
pugnex said:
If you're talking about the remote turn on wire, there is a spot specifically on the deck for this....
He did say power and not remote turn on, so I would give him the benefit of the doubt that he really meant the Power.


Ari, you're not going to be able to tap into the Power wire going to the headunit because your amp has the capability of drawing too much current. (fuses would blow, factory headunit wiring harness probably couldn't handle it, etc.). You're going to want to wire your amp all the way through the firewall and directly to the battery. You may want to search...there's a couple good threads explaining where and how to do this. (trust me, I just installed an amp and subs for the first time myself a couple weeks ago with no problems whatsoever, thanks to the help from previous threads in on this board :) )
 

·
R3g1st3r3d Us3r
Joined
·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, i did mean the power. I definitely know exactly what to do with the remote amp turn on, I just wanted to know where to wire the amp up so it gets power, like how C*z replied. Thanks C*z.

hehe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
I install audio in my spare time and did a complete system in my car so to be different and not flame you and say search i will give you some info. hook the power up to battery using a o-ring connector which should be in your amp kit. then run the wire along the back firewall to the left side of the car. there you should find a small rubber grommet pop that out and drill a hole in it big enough to fit the wire through it the wire will come out near the passengers side about glove box high. slide the wire through the grommet then pop the grommet back on and run the wire up the passengers side of the car to were you are mounting the amp. make sure the rca's are on the opposite side to avoid distortion or engine whine. hope this helps and feel free to ask anything else you need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,368 Posts
Check the owners manual. It should contain a functional block diagram on how to hook everything up.
If you need vehicle specifics, there are some writeups floating around....
or just ask in this thread....
 

·
R3g1st3r3d Us3r
Joined
·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright.... 4 guage wire for the power to the amp.... gunna wire it through the passenger's side....

Now.... what guage wire should I use to connect the amp to the subs? And what kinda wire should I use to connect the head unit to the amp for the remote amp control?

TIA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
well if you dont have a amp kit with the proper wires i suggest getting one they arent to expensive like 80-100 for a 4 gauge kit, but if you dont want to buy one and wanna go with seperately bought wires then i recommend 4-gauge power 4-gauge ground 16-Gauge remote wire and 12 Gauge speaker wire dont forget the rca's if you dont have them already.
 

·
OT Whore
Joined
·
4,411 Posts
get 16ga speaker wire, 12ga would be ridiculously large for your application. remote wire can be anything... even lamp wire. if you don't have anything yet, pick up a 4ga amp kit off knukonceptz, its like 40 bucks. 80 bucks on 4ga wiring is a rip off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
dev let me know locally where you can buy a complete 4 gauge amp kit for 40 bucks which includes power remote ground fuse hosuing fuse rca's and ill be impressed!!! im assuming he has his stuff and doesnt want to wait for shipping but if that is the case sonicelectronics.com has a 4 gauge for 30.00 but that on the internet not locally so if you want it now and cant wait then its gonna be 80-100 o you can wait and get it for 30-40 your choice.
 

·
OT Whore
Joined
·
4,411 Posts
If someone lacks the patience to wait 3 days to save $40 bucks, then whatever. But I can't imagine anyone in that much of a hurry. *shrug*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
im that guy i cant wait and i paid 100 bucks for the memphis audio 4 gauge kit. it sucks to have a sub and amp and have to wait three days for me being on the east coast its 5-6 days so i paid for convienience.
 

·
R3g1st3r3d Us3r
Joined
·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alright well I ran out to curcuit city and bought me some rca cables and an amp wiring kit.

4gauge power wire
4gauge ground wire
18gauge remote wire

I also used 18gauge wire to wire the amp up to the subs. It sounds pretty damn good.

I ran the 4gauge speaker wire through a little hole in the firewall behind the glovebox.... I used the little POS grommet that came with the amp kit.... but i'm gunna put some tape around it or something.... maybe some.... i dunno, something. hehe.

Now I just have to mess around with my headunit settings so get the right sound. :)

Thanks for the help, guys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
Ari said:
alright well I ran out to curcuit city and bought me some rca cables and an amp wiring kit.

4gauge power wire
4gauge ground wire
18gauge remote wire

I also used 18gauge wire to wire the amp up to the subs. It sounds pretty damn good.

I ran the 4gauge speaker wire through a little hole in the firewall behind the glovebox.... I used the little POS grommet that came with the amp kit.... but i'm gunna put some tape around it or something.... maybe some.... i dunno, something. hehe.

Now I just have to mess around with my headunit settings so get the right sound. :)

Thanks for the help, guys!

for only running one amp, the 4ga. is fine. but jesus dude GET RID OF THAT 18gauge!!

i run 16's on my components now, and when i redo them, i''ll prob run ~12gauge (i need a heavier jacketed wire that's less prone to short, damn cheap as$ insulation on the monster cable 16ga :mad:
 

·
OT Whore
Joined
·
4,411 Posts
um, running 12ga wire on components is not only wasteful, its downright costly. and if monster has cheap insulation, and yet somehow they are one of the more costly brands... maybe you've got something to think about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
DevlynSyde said:
um, running 12ga wire on components is not only wasteful, its downright costly. and if monster has cheap insulation, and yet somehow they are one of the more costly brands... maybe you've got something to think about.

not costly from a welding supply place :) same sh*t. thin strand twisted oxygen free copper. got a nice heavy jacket on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
678 Posts
airforcespecv said:
dev let me know locally where you can buy a complete 4 gauge amp kit for 40 bucks which includes power remote ground fuse hosuing fuse rca's and ill be impressed!!! im assuming he has his stuff and doesnt want to wait for shipping but if that is the case sonicelectronics.com has a 4 gauge for 30.00 but that on the internet not locally so if you want it now and cant wait then its gonna be 80-100 o you can wait and get it for 30-40 your choice.
I know of a place (locally) that sells 4awg dual amp kits for $29.95

20ft. 4awg red power
8ft. 8awg black ground
10ft. 8awg red power
RCA's
wireloom
distribution block
fuse holder w/ fuse
zip ties
connectors

Its at a little place called Wal-Mart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,368 Posts
SlamminSentra said:
I know of a place (locally) that sells 4awg dual amp kits for $29.95

20ft. 4awg red power
8ft. 8awg black ground
10ft. 8awg red power
RCA's
wireloom
distribution block
fuse holder w/ fuse
zip ties
connectors

Its at a little place called Wal-Mart.
^^Werd!
The one I saw was basically the same, but it only had 14 ft of 4awg power wire, and it was $24.99. Made by Scosche (sp?) or something.
I'd rock that.
Minus the RCA's that is. LOL, the RCA's looked like 18 ga wire or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,293 Posts
well the rcas don't need to be huge wire, they only carry a couple thousandths of an amp at the most. The walmart rcas are crap though, no shielding, I don't even think they're twisted, and they have crappy connectors. It is a good price for all the rest of the wire you get though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,368 Posts
2001 SE #2 said:
well the rcas don't need to be huge wire, they only carry a couple thousandths of an amp at the most. The walmart rcas are crap though, no shielding, I don't even think they're twisted, and they have crappy connectors.
I'm not concerned about the gauge necessarily, I was just noting basically what you said, being poor quality overall. I'll skimp on regular speaker wire and such, but because RCA's carry such a discrete signal, I want the peace of mind.....
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top