B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking im goin to get 2x12" Alpine SWR's (Type-R's), since they are DVC what impedience should i get 2ohm or 4 ohm, also what amp would u reccommend for these. Thanks

-Ben

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
get a pair of 2ohm, that way you can run them at 2ohm, which will squeeze the most power out of your amp...

350w rms each i believe, so youll need 6 or 7 hundred rms....

jbl bp600.1 is a very good mid-priced amp, puts out 600w rms to 2ohm... $205 shipped on ebay...

thats probably the best amp for the price you can find, and that setup would pound, for around $400, you would be really satisfied.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
if you are getting dvc then i would get the 4 ohm that way you can hook it up to be 2 ohm and use both of the voice coils. that is why i got the 4 ohm. i got the mrd 300 that was rated a 333 at 2 ohm. let me tell you something. this setup is one of the loudest that i have had and cleanest sounding. if you get dvc 2 ohm i think that you are just wasting a voice coil. you could get the 2 ohm and run it for 1 ohm but then you have to find an amp that will push 1 ohm. if you get an alpine amp then just get the 4 ohm dvc b/c that is the way that they recomond running the subs and the birthsheet only comes in a 2 ohm load.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
he said hes getting 2 DVC subs, therefore he needs to get 2ohm subs in order to play them at 2 ohm.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
03blackout said:
he said hes getting 2 DVC subs, therefore he needs to get 2ohm subs in order to play them at 2 ohm.
that is wrong. if he was to get 2 4ohm he could run them both at 2 ohm, by using both voice coils, then if he gets an amp that runs 2 channels at 2 ohm a peice he would be fine. if he gets the 2 ohm and a mono amp then he will be running at 1 ohm.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
according to jl's tutorial, which is what pretty much everyone uses when wiring dvc subs:

2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Series / Parallel
Connecting the two voice coils of each driver in series (+ to -) and the drivers themselves in parallel (+ to +, etc.) will result in the following impedances:
Dual-6 Ohm Subwoofers: 6 Ohms
Dual-4 Ohm Subwoofer: 4 Ohms
Dual-2 Ohm Subwoofer: 2 Ohms

2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Parallel / Parallel
Connecting the voice coils of each driver in parallel (+ to +, - to -) and the drivers themselves in parallel (+ to +, etc.) will result in the following impedances:
Dual-6 Ohm Subwoofers: 1.5 Ohms
Dual-4 Ohm Subwoofers: 1 Ohm
Dual-2 Ohm Subwoofers: 0.5 Ohm

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
JAYDOGG said:
that is wrong. if he was to get 2 4ohm he could run them both at 2 ohm, by using both voice coils, then if he gets an amp that runs 2 channels at 2 ohm a peice he would be fine. if he gets the 2 ohm and a mono amp then he will be running at 1 ohm.
youre talking a 2 channel amp?

why would he do that?

why not just simplify everything and buy a mono amp and run one channel?

·
Just 35 more...
2,296 Posts
JAYDOGG said:
if he gets two of the two ohms and a mono amp he could run it at 2 ohms. Series each voice coil in a sub, then parallel the subs. Put it on a 2ohm stable mono amp.

Aren't 2 ohm mono amps cheaper than dual 2 ohm stable stereo amps?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
i see what you guys are saying. i am talking out of my ***. if it where me, i would get 2 4ohm subs and 2 mrd 500 amps. sh.it if you want loud that would be the way to go. amp the front stage, amp rear stage, then amp each sub. loud and clean. where would you put 4 amps that would be a different story.

·
OT Whore
4,411 Posts
... why on earth would you purchase two low power amps given pricing on more powerful amps...?

My sub amp is a 2 channel max power @ 2ohm or 4ohm bridged.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
DevlynSyde said:
... why on earth would you purchase two low power amps given pricing on more powerful amps...?

y because i know that the mrd 500 will run at 500w or so at 2 ohm rms. you have a 800*2 so is that 800 per channel rms ro is it 400 per channel rms. it is all about what rms you are running not how much it says it can do. if it is 400 per channel then my setup would be better imo. 500 rms per sub. i had an amp that ran a 900*1 at 2 ohm and 450*2, 450 per channel, at 2 ohm and it doesnt sound as loud and clear as just my one amp with on sub. i think that it would be bad *** to setup an amp rack in the back seat will all of the amps, clean wiring, fiberclass, batteries, etc. that would be the sh.it, for a show car. this is just my opion so dont hold me to it.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
DevlynSyde said:

your amp only runs at 200w per channel. so where are you getting lower powered amps.

·
OT Whore
4,411 Posts
JAYDOGG said:
your amp only runs at 200w per channel. so where are you getting lower powered amps.
... right... and he should get the which ohm subs again? Its 400x2 at 2ohms, 800x1 at 4ohms. Atleast do a little research before spouting off your mouth.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
funny how such a simple question can spout such a messy thread.

you want 2 ohm final load to your amp. simple. cuz you can get more 2 ohm power out of an amp than 4 ohm power..

in order to get final 2 ohm load to your amp, just buy

Two "dual 2-ohm" voice coil subs.
Series the subs themselves, then parallel them together to bring it back down to 2 ohms. Class D amp most efficient.

But a few people probably already explained this.

·
OT Whore
4,411 Posts
Noggin said:
yeah, in the last couple of days the audio section has been seeing a LOT of this.
I guess atleast no post goes without answer here... its definately one of the more busy audio forums of the various car forums I've frequented as a result of too many cars in the past year and a half.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts