B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why I still smell someone's dirty arse exhaust fumes even when my vents are in recirc(sp?)? I can't get away from it at all, is there something wrong?

------------------
Marvin
-2000 Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 Spd, Avalanche
Future mods:pR CAI, Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust System
-Previous Owner 1995 Sentra GXE, w/mods, Auto, Maroon

·
Registered
841 Posts
Change your filter. Open up windows...put your AC to max...check for cracks...stay away from old arse cars with their smoking exhausts!!

Have a nice day.

------------------
"ya nahmean?"
------------------
2k1 Sentra SE w/PP
Granite & Manual Trans.
20% Tinted Windows
Alpine CDA-7965 Unit
PPI PC6600 Amp
Cust. Built Box w/
3 JL 10w3 Subs
Cust. Short Shifter

Waamm!
[email protected]

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What would I do without you Chino?

I just hate that, when you're driving on the freeway, and you have your AC on and in recirc, and start to smell stuff from outside of the car. Yuck!

------------------
Marvin

G

·
I had the exact situation occur today that your talking about. A car infront of me had left their emercency brake on. The rear brakes were just burning up....smoke and everything. That burning brake smell is the worst! So, I hit the recirc. button before I get too close, but it just keeps intensifying as I get closer, and then dissapears as I pass them. I was a little dissapointed.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (On The Way!!)
- Hotshot CAI (At The Coaters.)

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See, that's what I thought the recirc button was for, to stop the outside air from getting in, and the inside air from getting out. Then you can turn it off and let the air from outside come in. I think I'm going to the dealer about this after my underway trip to Florida.

------------------
Marvin

·
Registered
33 Posts
I thought I remember reading in the manual the the recirc doesn't actually keep everything out, and that it still lets some air in. That could be why the smell is still around. From my experience with any car, if there's something smelly in front of you, that smell's gonna get to you, and it won't go away until you pass that sucker. Same thing as when you're walking by cigarette smokers on the sidewalk. Anyways, here's to holding our breath...

------------------
2001 Radium SE 5SPD PP

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem is, Raven, is that my old GXE never had that problem, no matter what was in front of me, or(not knocking Ontario, CA) when it smells like cows outside, I just would hit the recirc on the GXE, and the smell when away. Like it closed the vents to the outside completely. I'm not totally sure, but thanks for the input. I'm going to read the manual this weekend to see if I can find it.

------------------
Marvin

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd agree. I've had other cars where the re-circ keeps the outside air and smells out. I've noticed with the Sentra still some outside smells get inside...

------------------
2001 Sentra SE+PP 5 speed Canadian model

·
Registered
33 Posts
Guess it could be something with the Sentra. I do know that when I've rented cars (Corolla, Mercury Sable, Ford Taurus) while driving from San Francisco to L.A. we'd drive by a place where there are thousands of cows, and the smell would come in, and I'd hit recirc and it would still linger until we finally got past it when I kicked in the fresh air again. Of course this could just be lingering stink from the initial bad air coming in. My gf has a '93 GXE, and the only problems I remember are lingering skunk smells, but I think that's a skunk issue as opposed to the recirc not working right. I'll see what I notice as I continue to break in my baby... (car, that is...)

------------------
2001 Radium SE 5SPD PP

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Raven might be right. I believe there is a requirement to bring some air in due to potential carbon monoxide buildut. I smelled stuff with all of my cars (many of em)

Al

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans
Car partly remanufactured
(Sarcastic comment)

·
Registered
6 Posts
They probably do let some outside air in even on recirc, mostly to help keep the ac from getting smelly in the summer time due to mold buildup and such. Also, if you smoke in the car with total recirc and no outside air, the car will smell like the bottom of an old ashtray in short order.

One frequent complaint we get at the Toyota store where I work is smelly AC, and the owner has invariably left the control on recirc all the time with no outside air at all getting in.

------------------

Dammit Jim, I'm an automotive service technician, not a mechanic!
01 SE PP Auto, Jaded

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good info fellas, I'll just deal with it like normal operation.. I hate being picky.

------------------
Marvin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts