B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey - I'm 16 and I've had my SE for about 6 months (manual of course w/no PP tho...weird, huh?) and now that I've become accustomed to the manual, I wanna modify it a bit, but I have a few questions...Is the air filter an easy mod to mess up? It'll be my first mod ever cuz my dad isn't into doin mods for anything. Also, does it lower the tone or raise it? (I'm trying to make it a little louder w/o it being mistaken for gardening equipment) Thanks for any help you can provide (I know the car pretty well, so you don't have to simplify too much)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry - forgot to clarify...I mean modding the intake by taking out the box and adding the filter

·
Registered
331 Posts
Search function

You might want to use the search function on the board, it has been discuss a lot before!!!

Go see on the mods page of this site, there is a free mod that u can try!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah - I've been hovering around a lot and looking at all the topics I could find...I'm just curious if I'd have trouble since it's gonna be my first mod - also I wanna know what it sounds like...I've never found a direct answer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can someone help the newbie please? Newbie wants to learn more about what he couldn't gather on his own :-(

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I just did that mod this weekend.

It was my first performance car mod EVER.
And it was DAMNED easy.

First, I got a universal filter from a local pro shop was cheaper, and I got a Nissan adapter plate. need a 3" one.

First taking the intake box out is really easy, about 3 screws and one to loosen to unplug from the MAF.

Then put in the adapter plate. Mine wasnt good. The size was right, but the screw holes didint fit, I guess I could have gone back to the shop, but I just worked the metal. ( you need the right tools, I was working in a friends garage). you wont usually have those tools handy in a normal garage.

After that was done, just screwed them all in, put it back on the MAF. And voila. I tie-wrapped it to the strut bar, cause I diidnt have a bracket, if you get one of hte kits, like the JWT one or the stillen one, I bet you'll get the bracket and instructions too.

It sounds great. low growl when the engine is working hard.

Not too loud, but just enough and kind of intimidating :)

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright - thanks for helpin the newbie...I don't have access to too much stuff, so I hope all the stuff I get works...Just one last question cuz I'm just a little confused - what are you tie wrapping? I've heard a bunch of people talkin about that, but I never really understood it

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Once you take off the Intake Box, and plug the filter, there will be LOTS of empty room.

you'll need to brace the filter if you dont want it knocking all over the place.

I will be making a custom bracket, but for now I just tie-wrapped the filter to the strut bar, so its on tight, almost doesnt show, and it wont move from there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, alright - thanks...I can be a moron if I'm not lookin at what's bein talked about :rolleyes: Well, I get it now...so I think I'm gonna try and do it. Thanks for the patience w/ my questioning

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
to give you an idea

act like you are going to replace the filter, so unclip the top of the filter box. Next have the car running and pull the top section up, with the filter still resting in the bottom of the other air box section. (don't worry it won't hurt your engine to not filter it, unless you do it during a duststorm or something) have someone sit in the car and rev it up, or rev it yourself by finding the throttle cable and moving it from the engine bay. to find this follow your black intake tubes to the actual intake manifold and you will see a couple of bare cables around a metal piece. turn the piece one way, it won't do anything if you move it the wrong way, because it won't move the wrong way, rev it up and listen in the tube how it sounds, I think it sounds pretty sweet! Good luck hope I didn't confuse you

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, nice - I'll hafta try that tomorrow...I'm pretty sure I followed ya pretty well:eek:, thanks (hope you enjoy all my gratuitous and random smileys and message icons:):confused::mad::confused::))

·
I am a mother****er
675 Posts
Hey, I highly recommend going with the JWT POP Charger. Its basically the same as the already mentioned adapter plate and univeral cone filter, but instead of a squared off inlet it has a funnel shape to it for better flow, plus it comes with the bracket to keep it stable instead of having to tie it down. I got mine for 120 shipped. However, I did manage to screw up the easy *** install....I cross threaded almost all of the bolts, so the POP will not be coming off. As for the sound, its awesome! Very deep, quite intimidating.later

·
Registered
123 Posts
would the free intake mod mess up the warranty??

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
SentraRacer said:
would the free intake mod mess up the warranty??
Heh...the warranty issue again. :)

All I can say is that if the malfunction directly deals with your intake mod, then it would void just that part of the warranty. Definitely search on this topic, it has been explained to death. :)

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Nismo00

Well thats the thing, the price
120$ is just plain freakin CRAZY for a damn cone filter.

I paid the filter 40$, and the plate 30$. Thats 70 Canadian dollars.

Thats 45.50 USD $.

See how much of a difference there is between 120$ and 45.5$ for the EXACT SAME THING. Except maybe a bracket.

Thats not counting Shipping and the DAMN taxes I'll have to pay at the border. Probably something like 30$ canadian Dollars.

So I thought about a JWT and quickly dismissed the idea, although the bracket would be nice :)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
the JWT pop is cool but i went with a universal cone and MAF plate that costs me $55-60. The one thing i didnt like about the JWT pop was that its aluminum and where it screws into the MAF, if it strips your ***'d out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts