B15 Sentra Forum banner

Aftermarket intake pipe, stock box????

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  pugnex 
#1 ·
I want to run the stock air fiter box but want to get rid of the rubber intake track. For those with a CAI (preferably Nismo) how close is the upper intake pipe compared to the stock one?

I'm hoping (keyword: hoping) to be able to drop in just the upper pipe and some couplers.

PLMK. Thanks.....

Discussion starter · #3 ·
To be honest. I have no interest in the full CAI set up. I have the Place Racing CAI in my G and it's a PITA maintaining it. No matter how good the sheetmetal grommet is the lower pipe always seems to get scratched up.

Mostly, I just want to get rid of the stock rubber intake tube with all the stupid chambers they put in there.

Also I'm buying all the Nismo suspension pieces (minus the FSTB and arms with bushings) and it would be cool to have that upper pipe in Nismo.

Discussion starter · #7 · (Edited)
chimmike said:
CAI requires no maintenance.

You won't see any gains while still using the stock airbox....that's a fact.....whether you use a different pipe or not.

seems like a dumb idea to me, to go to all this trouble. Perhaps you should research intakes a little more if you think they are pains in the arse to maintain...........................
Honestly I don't know how it is on the Spec but on my G20 I have to take off the inner fender lining, jack up the car because of the ride height, twist the lower pipe just right or it won't come out, clean the filter, wait for the oil to dry and twist to install and on top of all that make sure I don't scratch the tube. Living in Washington I've noticed I have to clean the CAI filter twice as often.

That my friend is a PITA no matter who you are....

Thanks for voicing opinions but I asked if anyone knows if an aftermarket upper tube is the same as stock? All I what to do is get rid of the ripples and extra chamber. Being honest, I don't want an intake growl in my Spec.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
UnderJerseySkie said:
are u crazy? the growl is one of the best things about it ... why don't you want it? not like its obnoxious like a ricey exhaust would be...
Don't know. One goal I have for my Spec is to be quite as possible; even when on the gas hard.

civiceater said:
Why dont you stock clean/oiled filters on hand so if its time to replace them or clean them you can just grab the dirty/old one and clean it, then popped the clean/oiled filters, time saver IMO. And also the K&N CAI, on the Specs doesn't require you to make the hole bigger at all. It fits perfect and it also has a 3rd bolting point (not like the others with 2) so it doesn't move as much. Mine hasn't scratch or touch the hole at all. Also it comes with a dry charger so it'll be easier to clean. Speaking of clean I should clean it now...It's been there for more than 10k lol...
Thanks for the advice.....appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.