B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been a few posts about this topic, however none really answered my question. I have a Kenwood MP3 deck (forget the model #), and I've done the RF amp bypass so that the OEM speakers would be powered directly from the Kenwood deck. I've also ran a RCA patch cable from the deck's preamp out and split the other end to connect into the RF amp (so I can get a signal into the RF sub). The speaker output harness from the RF amp was previously cut, so I attached some ordinary speaker wires from the amp, to the RF sub. Everything sounds great, no buzz/noise/etc, but everytime I change the track on the CD, I get a loud pop from the RF sub. I've checked the wiring and everythings fine. So then I was messing around with the wiring (from amp to sub), and at one point and pop was then coming from the left rear speaker and not from the sub.

Anyone have a suggestion? I know the grounding is fine, I even temporarily hooked up a Sony amp to a 10" Bazooka and it was fine, no popping. I dont want to lose truck space thats why I'm not using the Sony amp and Bazooka. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
631 Posts
the sub is popping because it, and the amp powering it, sucks, and eventually, it'll pop itself to death

lose the bazooka and the sony.

honestly man, a good system is something you'll get more enjoyment out of than almost anything else.

the HU is decent, the stock speakers and that little joke of a sub suck though

get a nice component set, mount the tweeters in the doors, get a decent amp to run them....you'll be MUCH happier.

then, if you want a little bass, get a single 10 / 12 in a small sealed box. that'll give you enough bass for a decent SQ setup...or, if you want lots of bass, a pair of 12s and an amp to match

give us a budget, we'll get you a nice setup.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what I would need to do to create a nice system, but in my Sentra, thats not what I want. The setup I have now sounds fine, I'm not going to spend any more money on this car.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
nice "Could White" Spec........

I am using the stock speakers and they sound pretty damn good....I've got several compliments on em and I haven't had the car what 3 weeks?

·
Registered
966 Posts
i think jasper is pretty much right. Poor quality, or often times "cheap", amps don't have built in circuitry to suppress "turn on noise" or "turn on thump" which is i believe what you're experiencing. I get it when i start my car up with my MTX 6500D, but that's the only time i get it. But good chance you wired everything up correctly, it is probably just the amp doing it......

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
This is "normal" I think. You seems to have done right the wiring according to my setup...

Tell me, do you have exactly the same sound when you power off the HU?

My Kenwood KDC-MP922 deck do this when I shut it down... it make the sub POP loud, like a capacitor discharging into the sub. Remember the OEM HU fade in and out so it won't do this...

Fortunatly, my Kenwood deck DON'T do this between track changes or like switching on TUNER/CD/AUX... but I know someone one our local club (www.npclub.com) that did the same wiring as me and you and he got the same problem. Sub pop loud when the HU change track.

And my guess on this is the REMOTE signal of the HU is temporarly shut off while changing tunes and will shut down the amp, creating the POP sound.

First check with a voltmeter on the remote signal at the amp or HU if it does that when changing tunes. It should read constant 12V and not drop to 0V when changing tunes. If it does, that's the problem.

What you could do to remedy to the problem is use the ACC power source for the REMOTE signal instead. So once the key will be turn on the ACC position, it will turn on the amp and keep it on until the key are out of ignition.

The other thing that could occur is voltage drop in the line-level output from the HU. Did you used the REAR output or NON-FADING/SUB output from the HU to drive the amp?

Tell me what you think of this and keep me up to date ;)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
angel2167882 said:
This is "normal" I think. You seems to have done right the wiring according to my setup...

Tell me, do you have exactly the same sound when you power off the HU?

My Kenwood KDC-MP922 deck do this when I shut it down... it make the sub POP loud, like a capacitor discharging into the sub. Remember the OEM HU fade in and out so it won't do this...

Fortunatly, my Kenwood deck DON'T do this between track changes or like switching on TUNER/CD/AUX... but I know someone one our local club (www.npclub.com) that did the same wiring as me and you and he got the same problem. Sub pop loud when the HU change track.

And my guess on this is the REMOTE signal of the HU is temporarly shut off while changing tunes and will shut down the amp, creating the POP sound.

First check with a voltmeter on the remote signal at the amp or HU if it does that when changing tunes. It should read constant 12V and not drop to 0V when changing tunes. If it does, that's the problem.

What you could do to remedy to the problem is use the ACC power source for the REMOTE signal instead. So once the key will be turn on the ACC position, it will turn on the amp and keep it on until the key are out of ignition.

The other thing that could occur is voltage drop in the line-level output from the HU. Did you used the REAR output or NON-FADING/SUB output from the HU to drive the amp?

Tell me what you think of this and keep me up to date ;)
I have a kenwood mp3 player and mine doesn't pop!!!
there has to be something causing it....it shouldn't pop....it probably has something to do with a low level output from the stereo going into a high level input on the stock amp...just my guess...I ran straight from my speaker out on the HU to the stock amp and it doesn't pop and it sounds good

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
SPECSen said:
I have a kenwood mp3 player and mine doesn't pop!!!
there has to be something causing it....it shouldn't pop....it probably has something to do with a low level output from the stereo going into a high level input on the stock amp...just my guess...I ran straight from my speaker out on the HU to the stock amp and it doesn't pop and it sounds good
Yeah so you are double-amping the signal and risk to fry the OEM amp real quick...

You don't have this pop either when you turn off the car?

BTW, here's the link to my setup/write-up ;)
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60237

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
angel2167882 said:
Yeah so you are double-amping the signal and risk to fry the OEM amp real quick...

You don't have this pop either when you turn off the car?

BTW, here's the link to my setup/write-up ;)
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60237
yes I run the risk of frying the stock amp...and if I do I don't care....:D

no I have NO popping at any time from any speakers....not my stock "drivers" or my stock sub... or my infinity kappa perfect

·
Registered
298 Posts
this may seem weird...verify the polarity of your speaker connections from the HU to the OEM speakers for that one. Also make sure you have sufficient source ground for the HU, the factory ground may not be sufficient as the unit probably has a higher output rating.

Try using the opposite wires (the one not popping) on the speaker in question. If it does not pop, connect the popping speakers wires to the speaker that was not popping. If it pops, you need to verify the cabling for that channel.

As for the SUB, I am not familiar with it, but it is likely a hi voltage input for the factory amp. You may be able to take a single channel off the HU and attach it to the amp. Try locating the factory wiring and see how it is getting its source.

Best of luck. :)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
thats good thinking truraza....I've seen reversed wires cause popping....but I'm thinking its a grounding issue with the HU or the speakers.....something to try....b4 running a whole new ground...is ground the stereo to the antenna wire.....that is a thick wire that is directly attached to the body of the car....if it still pops...then I would investigate the speakers further...if it doesn't pop anymore then run a new ground for the head unit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts