B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some pics of some parts I installed today. Made a huge difference in my boost, and I gained at least 3 psi across the board. In a turbo, thats worth 10-15whp.

My stock N75 for reference, in case I forgot how it went on. That is an "F".

The J installed, nothing really to document there. Just that the harness went under that accordion hose instead of over. and it barely fit for me, but its not pulling too bad.

So in this pic you see how easy it is to install your MBC. I have inserted a "T-splitter" that came in my Overboost kit in 2 places. One on each hose. That is a temporary position, and learn from me. Dont tighten any clamps until EVERYTHING is hooked up. I had to loosen many times to figure out the best positioning:

In pic 3 you see the MBC installed. Pretty basic, just make sure the hoses go to the corrct fitting, it DOES matter:

In pic 4 you can see that I found a way to use that clamp that was included to bolt this to the firewall a bit. That stud was pre existing, so i just found a nut to fit it. In this next pic, note that I altered the hose lengths greatly as I decided on my positioning. Snipped a little bit at a time:

Pic 5 shows the setting I guessed about. I didnt want to hurt anything, so I just turned it down a lot, less boost, and tightened my lock nut. I figured I could always open it for more boost if I had to:

My last pic shows some hosing I used to prevent the MBC from banging on the firewall as I drove. I didnt hear it bang, but I'm sure it would have. I took an old piece of hose, and just tie wrapped it around the back:

This stuff is fully out of the way of my cover, and my cover went on perfectly stock. It makes a HUGE difference in the cars power, but im sure ill have a few issues to deal with as I test it out some more.

i been playing with my adjustment knob you see in that last pic. Its quite frustrating, and tricky. Not cause its so sensitive, but cuz its so NON-sensitive.

That little brass square you see.. thats my Boost Control Solenoid. That opens the waste gate when it thinks boost it high enough. That boost control solenoid is made for a higher power car. So it tends to want to boost higher than my ECU likes. This throws you into limp mode, where you cant go past 10psi, or in hard limp mode, cant go past 5 psi. (which is slower than stock). Just takes turning off the car and restarting to reset that problem. So, in order to stop the spiking from the new boost solenoid, you add this MBC I added. This is a ball and spring type device, fairly simple. The more you tighten the knob, the tighter you make the spring against the ball. Thus, the more pressure it takes to push the ball up. Thus, the more you tighten the knob, the more PSI will be kept in the system before it is released. The general thought is one turn = 1 psi. But I have not found that to be true. That MBC only handles a max of 21psi, so I think i'm nearing the end of its range. I am peaking at 18-19psi and then it drops steadily to redline.

·
Slappy McGear Slapper
913 Posts
Sweet, damn you turbo VW boys:)

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Dude hit me up on AIM or something. I just bought the wife an 04 1.8T. Looking for some good forums. I wanna chip this thing too.
BTW, how much boost is stock, and how much boost is safe on stock internals?

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
TY.....
is the APR chip worth the price tag in your opinion>?

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you tell me.

My APR = $800 for 35hp/40tq.

(engine ratings, not wheel:)
Stock car numbers 180hp/175tq
APR numbers 235hp/242tq

Isnt that what an exhaust and intake cost round here, for 10hp max? Just saying.. its the best power gain to money you can buy for VW.

And you can get it for $500. But thats not stock switchable with no lock out. I take 2 programs, chip and stock. I can put it in stock anytime i go to the dealer and lock it out. Dealer will never know. Its all software, no hardware is altered or soldered, period.

and I have a VAG-COM unit ($300) which I can plug into my ECU. I can record blocks from any sensor, I can reset any ECU codes anytime. I reset an overboost code on my laptop AS I was driving the other day.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
LOL, yeah thats insane power for the money. What if I found a stock ECU at a junkyard (or somewhere dirt cheap) and bought the $500 dealie? I could still reverse it %100 right?

EDIT** Did you do a before/after dyno?
How accurate are their numbers?

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya, you could buy a spare cpu and put APR on it. but the numbers have to match EXACTLY.

I dunno, there are tons of dynos... those numbers are real.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Yeah thats basically what I was getting at. Was it 40 WHP (but really only like 5 LOL)
I'll look around on the forums and such. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
theres two many variables to compare dynos. every mod and valve people tweak changes the power. The chipped 1.8Ts put down from 195whp - 210whp.

waiiiit a minute.. i think i got those APR rating wrong... the APR rating might be 215hp/242tq... ahh go to their site..

www.goapr.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts