B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow in the mail I should be getting the smc short shifter, I ordered from import parts plus. I know much has been said in various threads concerning this modification. One point that wasn't touched on however, to what degree can you actually shorten the throw. I know on the stock shifter it's a considerable move from second to third gear. Just curious can the throw actually be reduced for instance by 75%. By the way William at import parts plus, was very helpful. Pleasure to do business with. Also ordered a momo cobra with leather inserts. Should look right on. Adios Amigos

·
Registered
124 Posts
How much did you pay for the shifter? I'm interested in getting one.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a package deal including the momo cobra 220.00 + shipping.Not cheap but from what Ive read smc makes the best short shifter.From what william said the new model has a more ergonomic bend in the shaft.Expected it today didnt come, should have it tommorow. Already have a mechanic buddy lined up for the install. Will post difference in throw when completed. Adios Amigos

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
the throw is noticeably shorter and more precise. other than the SS brake lines, prob'ly my favorite mod so far. (yes, even more than the CAI)

the shifter is very well balanced and I find myself shifting sometimes, even still, when there is no need. the shortness of the shift depends really on how far you adjust the pivot ball. i have minehtreaded all the way up and it's at a minimum 50% shorter of a shift. It will be firmer at first, but once it's broken it, like butta. Little tip for you...when tightening the bolt thru the "T" bar underneath (you'll see what i'm talking about when you're installing it) don't tighten it too tight. that will make your shifts too firm. tighten it in firm, but not super tight.

·
Registered
940 Posts
i have installed the stillen braided brake line on my 2000 se sentra, absolutely no difference from stock!!! and i mean it. i had the whole system flushed with a brake pump and refilled with DOT5.

i guess it looks cool. maybe with the slotted rotors and a good pad would make a diff.

i paid $130, and i picked it up. i don't recommend it, unless you are doing a complete brake upgrrade.

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
greendot said:
i have installed the stillen braided brake line on my 2000 se sentra, absolutely no difference from stock!!! and i mean it. i had the whole system flushed with a brake pump and refilled with DOT5.

i guess it looks cool. maybe with the slotted rotors and a good pad would make a diff.

i paid $130, and i picked it up. i don't recommend it, unless you are doing a complete brake upgrrade.

odd, my SS lines made a noticeable difference. i got the ones from SMC. pedal sensativity is increased and abs chatter is gone.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally had my short shifter installed this weekend, absolutely love it,Lee I must agree with you, it is the best modification I have done to my se to date.The shifts are incredibly more precise, and in my case, I believe I reduced the throw by more in the range of 70%. I also like the reduced height of the entire unit. With the momo cobra knob, it looks totally right on. Contrary to most of the past posts was able after considerable effort to twist stock knob off intact.Adios Amigos

·
Registered
605 Posts
Anyone figure out how to remove the stock shift knob without destroying it? I remember someone running over it once!! If I get the shortshifter, I would like to use the stock knob (i am cheap and i like leather).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My friend who did the install, removed the knob by first wrapping it in a heavy towel, and twisting it off with a large pair of pliers(while still in car). It took him a couple of goes but it eventually came off intact. As far as the installation goes, Williams said it would take about a half hour to 45 minutes. It actually took about an hour and a half. Instead of cutting or bending the heat shield, we simply added a few washers to give the required clearance. It all seemed fairly straightforward and simple. Don't want to sound like a broken record,but man o man it raised the fun factor of driving this car by a quantum leap. Adios Amigos

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Read above post.With continual tension the glue released and the knob screwed off intact. Adios Amigos

·
Registered
186 Posts
One question, does changing to the SMS Short Shifter void the warranty? I'm just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As has been posted before they have to prove your "bolt on mod" caused the malfunction in order for it to void warranty.The short shifter is pretty simplistic can not imagine it causing any problem.Adios Amigos

1 - 16 of 16 Posts