B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading this about the new Acura TL (2004):

"a two-stage intake manifold and a cold air intake to help generate 270 horsepower at 6,200 rpm and 238 lbs-ft of torque at 5,000 rpm."

Isnt that the same as a dual runner intake manifold?

"2004 TL features a drive-by-wire throttle system. "

hmm looks familiar...

·
I like fried Spam
383 Posts
The short runner long runner, valved intake is not a new idea.
Then again what is a new idea?
Throttle by wire is not new either. I think BMW and Mercades last I read have brake by wire and steer by wire either out or on the way.
Scary thought on that one.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Da_jester said:
The short runner long runner, valved intake is not a new idea.
Then again what is a new idea?
Throttle by wire is not new either. I think BMW and Mercades last I read have brake by wire and steer by wire either out or on the way.
Scary thought on that one.
My point was that Vtec was what they would stand by and now there using nissan ways for more power as in dual intake runners.

Yes Bmw uses throttle by steer or whatever which I hear sucks because it compensates for power and what not so a lot of times there is a lot of understeer and other times oversteer.

·
I like fried Spam
383 Posts
I am sure they will be standing by Vtec but my thing was nissan is not the first to use dual intake runners.
The steer/brake/throttle by wire is just creepy.

·
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
522 Posts
PhatVSpec said:
My point was that Vtec was what they would stand by and now there using nissan ways for more power as in dual intake runners.
but your point doesnt hold much water, because nissan wasnt the first company to use dual intake runners.

there really isnt anything out right now in the automobile market that hasnt been done before. well, thats not totally true, BMW is doing some cool things with valvetrain technology.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
disillusioned said:
but your point doesnt hold much water, because nissan wasnt the first company to use dual intake runners.

there really isnt anything out right now in the automobile market that hasnt been done before. well, thats not totally true, BMW is doing some cool things with valvetrain technology.
Ohh man..

I wasnt here to say they started it but most rivals are Nissan vs Honda and its funny to see them using the same thing. I could understand if it was Toyota and Honda but nissan and honda kinda funny.

·
Registered
773 Posts
well if honda or acura was smart....which they arent... they would get their torque numbers closer to the Hp numbers. i remember reading about a S2000 putting down 315 Hp to the wheels from a super charger, guess what the torque was, 180tq.... blah!

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TQ isnt always need for 1/4 mile, besides thats way off topic since the car has no need for tq, due to weight and aerodynamics. Do you know what we need to do to get 300 hp?

·
SOPHROSYNE
2,756 Posts
I think Acura is ahead of Nissan with their engines , even if they don't put so much power they are leading brand of customer satisfaction excellence

·
Hater
907 Posts
He11, even a base RSX has dual intake runners....

That's what so many people were mistaking for VTEC in the base K20 around 4600 RPMs (the actual i-VTEC transition starts at 2200rpm on that motor). Copying Nissan?

Now, the CL's auto trannys breaking for no apparent user invoked reason...now that's copying Nissan thinking. :D

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
IStop4NoMan said:
well if honda or acura was smart....which they arent... they would get their torque numbers closer to the Hp numbers. i remember reading about a S2000 putting down 315 Hp to the wheels from a super charger, guess what the torque was, 180tq.... blah!
that would mean making more torque vs. a decent amount of torque at high RPM.

Remember hp is merely a torque curve plugged into a formula and pasted on the same graph. Nothing more.

If the spec made its 165lb/ft of torque at 9k rpm it would have 282hp.

so yeah.

·
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
522 Posts
PhatVSpec said:
TQ isnt always need for ¼ mile,
huh? i would say that torque is very necessary for acceleration.

PhatVSpec said:
besides thats way off topic since the car has no need for tq, due to weight and aerodynamics.
all cars need torque. that statement sounds like honda drivers reasoning.

PhatVSpec said:
Do you know what we need to do to get 300 hp?
forced induction. and better rods.

PhatVSpec, i dont want you to think that im picking on you, but youre really not making any sense to me.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
disillusioned said:
huh? i would say that torque is very necessary for acceleration.

all cars need torque. that statement sounds like honda drivers reasoning.

forced induction. and better rods.

PhatVSpec, i dont want you to think that im picking on you, but youre really not making any sense to me.
I think your confused between low end tq and high end tq..aka HP.

Figure RSX-S weighs 20 more lbs then a Spec V, has less tq and more HP :)

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
These are street cars. Not Drag cars or race cars. You want torque for the street. I do not want to have rev the snot out of my car to avoid being run over from behind by a Geo Metro. I'm a torque freak. That's why I love the SR20DE and the Buick 350 and 455 engines.

·
Registered
929 Posts
AZ_2K_SE said:
These are street cars. Not Drag cars or race cars. You want torque for the street. I do not want to have rev the snot out of my car to avoid being run over from behind by a Geo Metro. I'm a torque freak. That's why I love the SR20DE and the Buick 350 and 455 engines.
kinda off topic but wasnt it a buick or oldsmobile engine in that awesome shelby series somethin car that came out a few years ago? just curious

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
The Buick guys WISH that was the case. I have not seen the series 7 up close, but he made some other car a year or two before that and I did see it at a show. I'm positive that one didn't have a Buick engine in it (damnit). I think a nice Buick turbo V-6 (86-87 especially) would be great for a g-machine or any other car he builds.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts