B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Lower than u will ever be
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on the actron code scanner. I've been having quite a few engine problems lately and I'm thinking about buying one (only $150) just to save from having to run to Auto Zone every time to see what's up and then wasting $5 to have them clear it. Is it something that would be handy to have around even once I get everything fixed or am I just wasting money??? Any opinions are welcome.
 

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
Joined
·
9,081 Posts
Depends on the features. Till all the dust settled and I had it upgraded for GM's. I have about 400 bucks in mine. I'm kind of a gadget man and I have graphs on the parameters. It can pay for itself in diagnosing problems when you have intermitant problems you just press the button when the vehicle starts to run bad and then look at all of the different readouts. It also tells you if the O2 sensors and the leaning (economy) circuit is working properly. I have used in on a bunch of cars including daughter and son's family cars.
 

·
2busy4b15/but watch it
Joined
·
11,651 Posts
yeah that kinda sucks

the actron super scaners a great deal if you want data logging
they should havde a normal actron oBDII scanner for about half the price..

i swear by that thing.. makes my life easier
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
I looked at one of these today at Pepboys. Do you have to buy anything special along with it to go on a Nissan or just buy the thing and thats it? Does upgrading mean you gotta send it in or what?
 

·
Lower than u will ever be
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
suavespecv04 said:
autozone charge's u $5.00 to clear codes?
They just started doing it a few weeks ago around here.

sr20dee said:
the actron super scaners a great deal if you want data logging
they should havde a normal actron oBDII scanner for about half the price..
I believe the one I looked at today was the top of the line one available to the public

hs thompson said:
I looked at one of these today at Pepboys. Do you have to buy anything special along with it to go on a Nissan or just buy the thing and thats it? Does upgrading mean you gotta send it in or what?
They told me this one has everything I need to use on almost any car and that it will definatly work on all the nissans without anything else.

Looks like I'm gonna go get it tomorrow when I get paid. I think with how many little problems I'm having it'll be worth it. Luckily everything that's been going wrong has been little but with the dealership wanting $86 for a diagnostics and how much of a pain in the *** running to auto zone all the time is it'll pay for itself rather quickly.
 

·
Lower than u will ever be
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah. The one I'm getting was $299.99 a few months ago but now they're on sale for $149.99, that's why I started thinking about it when I saw it.
 

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
Joined
·
9,081 Posts
Shaved01SE said:
Looks like I'm gonna go get it tomorrow when I get paid. I think with how many little problems I'm having it'll be worth it. Luckily everything that's been going wrong has been little but with the dealership wanting $86 for a diagnostics and how much of a pain in the *** running to auto zone all the time is it'll pay for itself rather quickly.
Two things..the protocall for OBD_II changed for these things in 2004..I believe. It may be possible that this thing does not do either 2004 or does only 2004 and later vehicles. Also unless it allows you to download in graph form to a computer screen.- Its useless for diagnosing. You would be better off just getting a cheapie that reads codes and clears the SES. Pehhaps someone with better information can correct me.

BTW this may be old information but: Codes
 

·
Lower than u will ever be
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I asked the guy about it and he said it works for all OBD systems, 96 thru 04, and then for 95 and older it does just the trouble codes. I looked at some of the other cheaper versions and really don't like them as much especially since the price difference isn't that much by the time I get all the other things I would need for the cheap on.
 

·
2busy4b15/but watch it
Joined
·
11,651 Posts
seriously you only need the basic actron scanner. they are like 80 bucks..

you can get a standard code reader from harborfreight for even cheaper.. like 50..

you really dont need the data logging if you do not know what you are doing.
 

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
Joined
·
9,081 Posts
Shaved01SE said:
I asked the guy about it and he said it works for all OBD systems, 96 thru 04, and then for 95 and older it does just the trouble codes. I looked at some of the other cheaper versions and really don't like them as much especially since the price difference isn't that much by the time I get all the other things I would need for the cheap on.
Will it download to a computer??? If not forget it.
 

·
2busy4b15/but watch it
Joined
·
11,651 Posts
adc100 said:
Will it download to a computer??? If not forget it.

im not sure what you keep driving at?

are you possibly talking about the data loading?

the ones that he is looking at are glorified code readers with slight data logging capabilities..

he has an SE.. so im not real clear on what your asking?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
980 Posts
well if he has a laptop or pocketpc, he should just spend $60 and get something like laplogger. It is built on the ELM chip, so it works with most Freeware and pay ODBII logging programs.
www.laplogger.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
I bought a VAG-Com of my VW and I love it. It is nice to know I don't have to run to the dealer every time an engine light comes on. For example I had an emission problem with a small leak in my evap system and I able to save me the fustration most deal with sitting in the dealers for hours to fix something as simple as a new gas cap. I am planning on getting something for the wife's Sentra if something happens to it.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top