B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what would cause a new compressor to not kick on? After the new compressor was installed, I had a friend vacuum it down and it held vacuum so no leaks. I started putting freon in and after roughly 15 seconds, maybe only 10, the fans kicked on. I thought that meant my pressure switch was working. About 10 more seconds of putting freon in, in said it was where it needed to be and stopped taking freon. The compressor is getting 12 volts. The power wire on the switch connector has a little over 5 volts. I let out some freon by pushing in on the shrader valve(I know, that's a no no to let freon out in the air) for about 5 seconds and the fans kicked off. I put the can of freon back on, it read low on the cheap gauge so I put some back in and the fans kicked on. So 12 volts on the wire going to the compressor, 5 volts at the pressure switch wire, and it reads full after like 5 to 10 seconds. Could the drier(where the switch is located) be plugged? Maybe it'll take freon until it builds up enough pressure at the switch but will not take anymore because it is plugged? Or maybe the compressor is not grounded good enough? By the way, how do our compressors ground with only 1 wire? Could I try a ground strap from a known good ground? Are there any other tests i can try to narrow down the problem? I have a new expansion valve, switch, and receiver drier. Any ideas would help a lot. Also, when it last worked, it worked great then it started kicking on for about 5 seconds and off for about 5 seconds. I tried adding freon at that time because I thought that was it. I do not remember why I bought a new compressor. One last thing, I'm not very well versed on ac workings. I know the parts involved and the general concept, just not the order of which component does what as the freon circulates.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts