B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive looked but cant really find any write up for this..can i get some help..where exactly does the freon go?(location) and how much of it do i need? i recall a previous thread about the amount that was necessary but couldnt locate it.

·
Lower than u will ever be
622 Posts
Under your hood there's 2 polished lines (A/C Lines), locate them. Start the car and turn the A/C on high. Let it run for about 2 mins (and leave running) Take the cap off the bigger line and follow the directions for the charge kit (if you have one). If you don't have a kit hook up the can of r134a to the gauge/ filler hose (with the valve closed). Then hook the other end of the filler hose up to the fill nipple on the a/c line previously mentioned. open up the valve on the filler hose and follow the directions on the can for filling. The most you will use is 15 oz. and that's for if your system is completly empty. If it's not completly empty just watch the gauge to make sure the pressure doesn't get too high and keep checking inside the car to see when it starts blowing cold. If you have any questions PM me. If I have time later I'll do a step by step write up with pics since this has been coming up alot lately.

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok..the two lines youre talking about are on the passenger side of the engine bay and are capped off with blue caps right? i just wanna make sure im doing it right.pics would be appreciated though, if you have time. this is the first time im attempting it so i dont wanna do anything wrong. thanks

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
FuLIsh said:
ok..the two lines youre talking about are on the passenger side of the engine bay and are capped off with blue caps right? i just wanna make sure im doing it right.pics would be appreciated though, if you have time. this is the first time im attempting it so i dont wanna do anything wrong. thanks
You want the larger of the two lines. Wear glasses/goggles. One of the problems using the Joe Sixpack kits is that you wind up getting moisture/air in the system and you don't get the right charge in the system. I think its best in some cases to let someone do it who knows what he/she is doing. Wait for the writeup. I think I did one a month or so. Do a search.

Are you sure you need a charge?? How do you know??

A good thing to do is go to KMart.Walmart and get an electtonic temperature gauge (they are about 7 bucks)

They have a temperature probe on a 6' wire. I take it and put it down the the middle vent (the right one-its the coldest) On say an 80 degree day after you have been driving the temperature should be in the 40-45 Degree range.Check it bf you add freon.

Btw keep the can upright so only "gas" goes in. If you turn it upside down liquid will go in and it will suck the can down to fast. :)

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well for the past few weeks the ac has been working but the air doesnt get cold enough, even if i press the recirculate button. i was in florida a few weeks back and the thing was so cold that frost could be seen coming out of the vents. i get back to ny and the bloody thing doesnt even get cold. i had it checked for leaks. there were none so im assuming it need to be recharged.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
First check your microfilter-if thats clogged then that could be the problem. Recirc is usually needed on hot days. Like I said check the outlet temperature of your vents. Also check the large line near where the service fitting is located. If its cold you probably don't need a charge. Also if your filter is clogged it will be really cold (but you won't get the benefits of the a/c. Frost coming out of you vents is a sign of filter plugging or ice on the coil (not low charge)

What is the status of the filter?
Again-check the temp out of the center vents. Ideal conditions would be say 50 to 60 mph steady rate.

Throwing freon in there without the benefit of refrigeration gauges is risky. :(

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do all b15s have the microfilter? i gotta 00 se, where do i find the filter? i didnt know the se had the filter

·
El Burro
4,272 Posts
Take it to a shop to do it. That way they could evacuate the lines and remove all moistre that in teh system. After that they'll add fresh refrigerant and oil.

BTW freon has been fased out since the early 90s. The new refrigerant that we use is r134a. They're not interchange able and freon has better cooling capabilities than r134a. ;)

·
Registered
569 Posts
take 2 a shop and do it. and make they check out your compressor, condenser, restrictor, evaporator, blower motor and allll the hoses. :)

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok..will do, youre sure freon was phased out? dont they still use it in acs and refridgerators? i could a sworn that was the case cuz we threw out a fridge the other day and had to have the dept of sanitation come remove the freon. the fridge was
only about 2 years old but it was crap.

·
El Burro
4,272 Posts
I know for automotive uses freon was elimintaed since 1993, I'm not too sure about other uses though. My guess is that the EPA banned it, but I'm not certain about that one.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
FuLIsh said:
ok..will do, youre sure freon was phased out? dont they still use it in acs and refridgerators? i could a sworn that was the case cuz we threw out a fridge the other day and had to have the dept of sanitation come remove the freon. the fridge was
only about 2 years old but it was crap.
Well its a "Refrigerant" Just like R-12 which was in cars before 134a. Actually very little difference in performance.

And if you take it to an a/c place it only takes a minute to evaluate if everything is O.K. They will put probably just add a few ounces. Its not necessary to evacuate the system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts