B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering, if there was a way to "channel" the air from the air conditioner to the engine!!!!!

this may sound kinda dumb, but i was thinking maybe it would work unless-the strength needed to run the AC was more than the strength the cold air would add.

What do u guys think!!!

------------------
White 1998 Nissan Sentra GXE 16inch rims and bangin sound system!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ooh, looking for that super-cold air intake idea! Couldn't say, the fact that you're operating something with pretty high parasitic drag is likely to offset any real gains on the intake end. I'm thinking there's no real benefit. Best off with a good CAI.

------------------
Waiting for PR CAI, got the Stromung, got the Unorthodox, got a big fat empty "0" in my bank...:)

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shadi:
i was wondering, if there was a way to "channel" the air from the air conditioner to the engine!!!!!

this may sound kinda dumb, but i was thinking maybe it would work unless-the strength needed to run the AC was more than the strength the cold air would add.

What do u guys think!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn Shadi, I thought I was the only one walking around here that thought of that. Heh.. But as Larry points out, best to just get a good CAI. The air might not be as cold, but it would probably save the hassle.

Redirecting the air from somewhere would seem like it would work. Hmm.....

------------------
Marvin
-2000 Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 Spd, Avalanche
Current mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust System
Future mods:pR CAI, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, Window Tint
-Previous Owner 1995 Sentra GXE, w/mods, Auto, Maroon

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
not too mention that you would probably loose more than you would benefeit form it....It takes alot too run the AC.....

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI,and Painted Calipers & Rotors
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1428062&a=10696175" TARGET=_blank>*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*
</A> ***My Website***

·
Registered
25 Posts
well if you already have it you might as well try and get something extra out of it!!!
just my two cents....i like the idea

------------------
1991 SENTRA XE 5SPD
OPENFILTER MOD,BOSCH PLAT+4 PLUGS,A/C BELT DISCOUNTED, GUTTED REAR/TRUNK AREA, ADV TIMING 15 DEG, SYHTHETIC BLEND OIL, SUN PRO TACH....

·
Registered
605 Posts
Wanna gain some speed? Turn off the AC! Ever wonder why race cars don't have air conditions? Think about how much electricity it takes to run your house AC; same thing for the car.

------------------
SR20DE..Sorry Si guys.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no guys i DONT have this mod.

I was just wondering if it could be done or not, so far the genreal consensus says no.

Its just a thought but i think the gain would not offset the loss of power that the AC takes away.

------------------
White 1998 Nissan Sentra GXE 16inch rims and bangin sound system!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My auto teacher has told me that you lose 3-5 horsepower running the air conditioning compressor. I would stick to a cold air intake, I think you would be losing more power than gaining. It's a good idea though, never even crossed my mind. Imagine if it did work, impressing friends by turning on the AC!

------------------
2000 Sentra SE PP Black 5 spd
Just got hit and have to get a new fender!

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by azninvazion:
Wanna gain some speed? Turn off the AC! Ever wonder why race cars don't have air conditions? Think about how much electricity it takes to run your house AC; same thing for the car.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember back in the ghetto day, some of the street racers at the illegal drags in my area used to blast their heaters to divert heat from the engine bay. :D You just reminded me of that...

------------------
Jae
'00 SE
Missing my Civic, but loving my Sentra.

·
Registered
3 Posts
on a turbo motor it would work. I know that they have such a set up for the GMC syclone that cools the air to 32 degrees, even in 90 degree heat. But even then its probably only about 5-10hp over a good intercooler.

------------------
"if it isn't broke, modify it."

·
Registered
62 Posts
What about a larger radiator, oil cooler and transmission cooler?

Keeping the engine/tranny cool from the inside would probably offer some benefits like a CAI.

Remember the old racecars that had airdams not at the chin of the car, but a little further back b/w the front bumper and the front wheels?

That was for reducing drag AND to direct some air up into the engine bay.

*NEW IDEA* -> functional hood scoops! [WRX]

------------------
911 / 944 / 935 Turbo, F355, F40, early Ferrari's, Z06 Vette, RX7, WRX, Lingenfelter Viper, 300ZX, Shelby Cobra, GT40, Copo Camaro's, Countach, McLaren F1, '70 Challenger T/A, Parnelli Jones Mustang, any Mustang's up to '69, Eleanor [Gone in 60 sec], whatever Carroll Shelby touches...
My dream.......is a heated 100 car garage, a nice little house and a racetrack for my driveway......oh yes, a gorgeous & rich wife would be nice too!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I would love to put a functional hood scoop on my car it's just that I'm trying to find a company that would make one for me that has one......

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI,and Painted Calipers & Rotors
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1428062&a=10696175" TARGET=_blank>*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*
</A> ***My Website***

·
Registered
623 Posts
lol guys... blasting ur heat b4 ur up for race is always being used. i still do that at the track b4 i run my cars.

and openings on the front bumpers r usually for cooling intercooler pimping on drag cars and for brake cooling for touring cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts