B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this belongs in the Tech forums, but I posted it here so that everyone would see it. I took my car back to the dealer today to have them look at my car for these reasons:

*VERY bad gas mileage (250 miles to a full tank)
*that auto tranny stall problem first reported by Nismo00
*rotten eggs smell from exhaust and a/c
*overheating brakes
*various rattles and creaks

The funny thing is that they worked on my car the WHOLE day (supposedly) to no avail. Turns out that my ECU was causing the car to run VERY rich in fuel so that's what caused the bad mileage and smells. They found out at the end of the day that Nissan released a new ECU program to download for my car (2000 SE) that would fix all of this. Not only that, but the Service Dept Manager promised me that the new program would also fix the tranny stall problem. So they're going to hold my car for another day to upload the new program into my ECU (it takes about 1 1/2 hours).

They also told me that my Sentra isn't the only one with this problem. That's why Nissan released the new program for the 2000 SE. So if you guys are getting crap mileage and stank exhaust, then maybe it's time to take your ride back to the dealer. Alrite that's it. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, but I'm in a hurry. Later people.

·
Registered
312 Posts
hhhmmmm... That is very interesting.

I get fairly decent gas mileage, (25-30) but I'm wondering
if maybe the black soot a lot of us are seeing on
our tailpipes is a result of the ECU problem.

If you get any more details, please post them.

I don't want to take my car in... I just installed
my CAI today. Damn! :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hmm interesting!! I should bring my car in before warrant ends.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
man really?
That sucks... at least it explains the smell from a/c and soot on tailpipe and gas mileage... New update, they should call us all in to get the update!

Customer service, I'd think..

·
RWD is teh bomb
2,138 Posts
I hate to break this to you.. they did the same "Fix" on my auto 00SE and the mileage is WORSE

·
Registered
623 Posts
hey jae, which dealer did u take it in? i gotta take my car in for that too, hehe... hope they wont mind my cai, headers and exh.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Try this

If you have an auto or manual. Use a small amount of acceleration to get it to shift so the rpm's stay under 2500. During normal driving (when you can) keep the rpm's no more than 2000 rpms. If you have an auto that meams when the torque converter "locks in" at about 40 to 45 mph, avoid acceleration that knocks it out of lockup. Bottom line 2500 for shifts and 2000 driving. I realize you can't always do this, but with all of the driving you guys do you can deal with it for a tankful. You should get the better part of 30 in suburban and high 30's on trip. This will tell you how well your engine is performing. You might find that if you do this every once and a while it's not a bad thing. Saves wear on engine, saves gas $$'s and probably cuts down accidents/tickets!!

I think that the black exhaust is worth checking into. Most cars do run this way, but I noticed mine is not black.
:D

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
chinoworld said:
hey jae, which dealer did u take it in? i gotta take my car in for that too, hehe... hope they wont mind my cai, headers and exh.
I don't think they will mind chino, I would take it in anyways. My problem is that I've seen a decrease in my gas mileage for the past few complete fill ups. My problem is that I like to drive faster than normal recently and that the oil change that I got this past time was done by Firestone with second rate oil. :( I'm kinda bummed, and I think I'm going to check and change my oil here on Monday. Not sure how the oil change effects my gas mileage, but I know I've gotten my worse three tanks since the oil change (23, 22, 24 mpg). The one prior to my oil change was 27 mostly city, and the one prior to even that one was 31 on straight highway. The ECU problem is pretty interesting...

·
Registered
250 Posts
SR20DE 2K said:
I know this belongs in the Tech forums, but I posted it here so that everyone would see it. I took my car back to the dealer today to have them look at my car for these reasons:

*VERY bad gas mileage (250 miles to a full tank)
*that auto tranny stall problem first reported by Nismo00
*rotten eggs smell from exhaust and a/c
*overheating brakes
*various rattles and creaks

The funny thing is that they worked on my car the WHOLE day (supposedly) to no avail. Turns out that my ECU was causing the car to run VERY rich in fuel so that's what caused the bad mileage and smells. They found out at the end of the day that Nissan released a new ECU program to download for my car (2000 SE) that would fix all of this. Not only that, but the Service Dept Manager promised me that the new program would also fix the tranny stall problem. So they're going to hold my car for another day to upload the new program into my ECU (it takes about 1 1/2 hours).

They also told me that my Sentra isn't the only one with this problem. That's why Nissan released the new program for the 2000 SE. So if you guys are getting crap mileage and stank exhaust, then maybe it's time to take your ride back to the dealer. Alrite that's it. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, but I'm in a hurry. Later people.
Thank you for keeping us informed. Do you know if the ECU fix was issued under a Nissan technical service bulletin, and if so, what the TSB number is? If I go to the dealer to request the ECU reprogramming, I think my case will be stronger if I have a TSB number with me.

Also, does the fix affect the 2001 SE model?

Once again, thanks for keeping us updated!

DL

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Re: dleong..this is interesting...

adc100 said:
There are no TSB's for Nissan for 2000-period in "Alldata". But check out item #36 for the Infinity SR20DE. What's up with that???

http://alldata.com/TSB/27/00270303.html

Holly...this is REAL interesting now. I'm wondering if we were to address this to the dealership, what do you all think they will do? Our SR is the exact same as the G20, is it not?

·
Registered
297 Posts
damn

eyah gas mileage sucks, and I don't think Nissan will mind your upgrades, all the people at the service dept. loved my car and gave me props for it, they were amazed at seeing a modded brand new SE with CAI and full stainless steel exhaust....heheh. I love nissan service it is fast and parts always timely at arrival..I know my crappy gas mileage is becuase how I drive, like around 22-26mpg.

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I'm picking up my car today. I'll see how it goes. I'll ask the Service Manager what's up with my car and the air to fuel ratio. He seemed to know what he was talking about.

Dleong, that Technical Service Bulletin thing sounds really interesting. I'll get as much info as I can about where the fix was issued. I'll also find out if the fix applies to the 2001 model.

Chinoworld, I took my car to Wondries Nissan in Alhambra. That's where I got my car. :p

Utahj, that's why my CAI has been in sitting in my garage for like a month now. I've been meaning to take my car back for a while now...

Tgenius, my mileage CAN'T possibly get any worse. I'm running at 19-22mpg with "granny driving". But we'll see what happens.

Adc100, if I drove like that in MY neighborhood with all the hills that we have here, even the grannies and soccer moms would be honking at me. :D

Well, I'll be picking up my car in a few hours. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hey chino, do you notice a great increase in speed/pick up with the intake, headers and exhaust? And in regards to you worrying about the dealer caring about your mods, I think if they say anything we should all look at them funny, and tell them they shouldn't be busting our balls about mods because if they haven't realized yet, the car industry is really starting to turn in the "sport compact car direction" (for lack of a better describing word)

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
hey..SR20DE 2K..

You can go 53 mph in a 35 mph zone if you want at 2000 rpm. Thats good enough , right? :D :D:D

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
Until you get to a steep hill...

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: hey..SR20DE 2K..

adc100 said:
You can go 53 mph in a 35 mph zone if you want at 2000 rpm. Thats good enough , right? :D :D:D
Like Y2K SE said... until I get to a steep hill. Then my auto tranny will decide for me that it doesn't like 2k rpm so much anymore. :D :p

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I got my car back yesterday. Here's the info they gave me:

The fix was not issued under the Nissan Technical Service Bulletin Board. There's a bulletin board type program that every dealership can purchase from Nissan called "Assist". They get their fixes through that, but the fixes and info they get from it are not open to the public. I really wish Brakeman1 could confirm this for us... :D

Also, the service manager wasn't there yesterday so I just talked to the tech at the counter. She couldn't tell me for sure whether or not the fix affects 2001 models directly. All she could tell me is that the fix affects ANY cars that have that sulfur smell. So if your '01 has that smell then it may be affected.

Well so far, the smell is COMPLETELY gone from my exhaust and a/c. And I'm shocked to find that my brakes don't grind anymore during hard or emergency stops. The rattle from my sunglass holder disappeared for a while, but returned by the time I got home. I'm considering that a worthless case. Low and behold the auto tranny stall problem still exists. I'll probably take it back again later on in the future. Whether or not my mileage has improved remains to be seen. I'll let you guys know in a week.

On a side note, I was picking up my gf and I rolled down a hill by her house at about 55mph and 2k rpm... and I thought of this thread. Darn you adc100. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts