B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys n gals, just a little background first...I'm a 20 y/o college student who just got my first new car, a 2001 5-spd Sentra SE. I love it, and its even better to me because I've been driving a '74 VW Superbeetle for the past 4+ years. Feels good to be in the Nissan family so far. Anyways, got a few questions for ya'll...

1. My clutch squeaks. Nothing big to me (on my Beetle everything that moves squeaks), but it sucks on a brand new car. I can deal with it, but i'm wondering if I should slob some lithium grease on it or just have the dealer take care of it at the first oil change. Do you think the dealer would try to charge me extra? If so ill do it myself.

2. Today I experienced the dreaded high-pitched wind noise coming back home at ~80 mph. I've seen ya'll talk about this before, it's covered by the warranty, right? Again, because its so much better than my old car, I can deal with it for a few weeks. Any thoughts?

3. Whenever I'm rollin up the front driverside window, when it gets near the top it starts making a cracking noise (not the glass, sounds like its coming from inside the door). It's not that loud and doesnt sound like its causing any damage, but it's annoying. Any of you encountered this?

4. Gotta do something about the audio. It's nice for stock, and i'll probably keep it that way for a while (as I currently have no money) but I am an audiophile and demand more from my system. Being an audiophile does NOT mean I want 3 12"'s in the back, it means i want clean sound at all frequencies. Anyways, I was wondering if ya'll had any suggestions. Electrical work does not bother me (that's my major in college) but getting to those speakers looks like it would be rough. I would like to keep the stock CD player if possible because I love it's look and ease of use. Plus I don't see why every new aftermarket CD player that comes out has to be 12 times brighter and more annoying than the last model. I was thinking I could just add an outboard amp and change the speakers out. Anyone done this themselves? How is it? I'd rather do it myself than let a store do it.

ATLien

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Welcome ATLien

I'd give the dealer a shot at the first 3 items, especially #3. I don't know how long you have the car, but If I had those problems I'd wait a few weeks to see if anything else developed. Clutch would probably drive me bonkers, I'd probably look at it. I don't have 5 sp on this car but usually you need a spray , possibly silicon to get in those bushings to lube. You might call dealer and ask the service manager. Give him an hour in the morning to get organized.

Later
Al

·
Registered
816 Posts
As for the audio components, I have the same plans as you do. I just want to improve the sound quality but don't need butt thumping bass. A few people on this board have praised the sound of the Infinity Kappa's which are on sale from Crutchfield. And I believe that you can hook up an outboard amp which has speaker level inputs, that way, you don't have to install an RCA out onto your headunit.

Go to the Audio section of this board and do a search of topics. There's a lot of good info there. Also, those directions on How-To that Y2KSE posted are kick-***!! You da MAN!!! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts