B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steve came to Charlotte to do rear beam bending on 5 of Southern_Shift's cars. He was polite, very professional, and really knew what he was doing. You people on here know that I'm decent with suspension, well Steve is really a Sentra God when it comes to this stuff. We all had our beams bent exactly as much as we wanted, mine was the most extreme because I only use my Sentra for autocross. And let me tell you, the 3/8" toe out that I have is a HUGE reason that I was able to win EP class at the 24 hour superbowl of autocross here in Charlotte. Steve gets a 10 out of 10 on the work done.

·
"Founder of GTi-R City"
413 Posts
I hosted the event in the Maryland area, and I must say it was a blast! Steve's equipment is superior to that of his competitors. The total process may take as long as twenty minutes, and you are done. Quite amazing to watch! I documented this entire event on digi-cam and it is a site to see. When it comes to mods there is NO SINGLE MOD in this price range comparable to this. I recently upgraded to 17" wheels from 16" and noticed my car was extremely skittish and wandered left and right at random? After Steve had serviced my car, every problem I had was eleminated! Note I had the car lined up at a local Nissan dealer too, still skittish, after Steve, problems no more! I STRONGLY recommend if you have a B14/15 or any other type of vehicle that uses a rear beam system that you get this done. We spend mad-money on modifications that often cost us power, this will help you see your power. My car is planted-down now straight line ready, handles 100% better in curves, and that bit of resistance off the line is gone!

·
"Founder of GTi-R City"
413 Posts
We are NOW making plans to host another "Ream beam bending party". We would like to get all of those B14/15 owners in the D.C. metro area out to attend. Steve should set the general time/day/date. I will host for you again. I would invite some of the first events people back for a talk/see session with the new-people. THERE IS NO MOD FOR THIS PRICE YOU WILL SEE THIS MUCH BENEFIT FROM. Now all I need is a DET and it will be DE-Done!

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Well, I was pretty skeptical about this because the word "bending" scares the crap out of me.

Steve took it very seriously, and took his time to make sure it was done right.

It's far and away the most expensive "alignment" i've ever gotten, but the back end definitely rotates better. You notice it the first time you go around a corner.

Now when my sway bar comes, and i buy some less shitty tires, i may actually do well at the autocross.

I need to find a day to adjust my coilovers, and maybe install some motivational upper mounts and koni bump stops.

Robbclark1 and I had a great time hanging out with greg and joel etc, they're crazy bastards, but they're good guys.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good, you'll be able to notice it a ton in autox, it's like the car's a part of you, you can feel the turns so well. Also, for your future plans, how much do you really think that you need the Moti upper mounts? I mean, I think that I'd rather just have my struts shortened....

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Tony,

my coilovers are set like crap right now. I bottom out non stop. Steve suggests I raise the top perch up ¾ inch, and then do the same to the bottom perch. I have about zero rear travel right now which sucks in the city. I just don't want to keep bottoming out so hard and having no rear travel.

I think I may need to raise the car up for the off season, and put the damping down to soft...

As you know the car needs an alignment. Finding time to adjust this crap in the next 2 weeks may be tough to say the least.

Mostly I need someone who know what they're doing to help me out.

·
Registered
693 Posts
What all goes on in the beam bending process that only takes it 20 minutes? I have seen thread on this before but i am not sure if they actually state what he does, or is that part of what your paying for? Someone said "expensive alignment" does this mean it is something that can, over time, go away? i think he just put it in those terms so people would understand better but i am not sure. Sorry about all the confusion. I will probably get told to search and I probably should but thanks anyways.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sixspeednismo said:
What all goes on in the beam bending process that only takes it 20 minutes? I have seen thread on this before but i am not sure if they actually state what he does, or is that part of what your paying for? Someone said "expensive alignment" does this mean it is something that can, over time, go away? i think he just put it in those terms so people would understand better but i am not sure. Sorry about all the confusion. I will probably get told to search and I probably should but thanks anyways.
Nah, I'll search for you, we have like 3 threads that are great for explanations. I'll post my findings in a second.

pditty- Dude raise your ride height RIGHT NOW......bottoming out is the last thing you want to do with those JIC's.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
sixspeednismo said:

Basically what happens in that the rear beam has a slight toe it. Steve bends the thing out with a hydraulic press (without scraping or damaging anything) to either zero toe, or toe out depending on what you want.

The bar is pretty damn stiff, so once it's set, it's not going back unless you actively bend it back.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
fluid1 said:
Nah, I'll search for you, we have like 3 threads that are great for explanations. I'll post my findings in a second.

pditty- Dude raise your ride height RIGHT NOW......bottoming out is the last thing you want to do with those JIC's.
Yah, I know they need to be raised, I'm actually only dropped one inch, but the thing is setup all wrong.

I don't really have anywhere to do it, maybe i'll see about doing it tuesday morning or something... F!

living in apt and working days and going to school nights makes it tought to get crap done.... ever.... especially since it gets dark at lunchtime now.

i hope nothing is F'd up.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pditty said:

living in apt and working days and going to school nights makes it tought to get crap done.... ever.... especially since it gets dark at lunchtime now.

i hope nothing is F'd up.
lol, tell me about it, I go to work in the dark, get out in the dark, lol.

I doubt anything is serious, but the sooner it's fixed, the better. Good luck, I wish I was closer to help.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sixspeednismo said:
BOO-YA!! Read, young Padwan. :)

http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68137&perpage=15&highlight=toe out&pagenumber=4

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
If I got it done (and I did) I wouldn't let anyone but steve do it, and I don't know anyone else that can, and I'm sure steve wants to keep it that way.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pditty said:
If I got it done (and I did) I wouldn't let anyone but steve do it, and I don't know anyone else that can, and I'm sure steve wants to keep it that way.
I'd trust me to do it ;) But I'm not trying to get into that line of work....lol

sixthspeed......don't even attempt to do it on your own unless you can describe caster to me ;) (and even probably then....hello internet definitions, lol)

·
"Founder of GTi-R City"
413 Posts
Expensive line up, . . . HAH! What Steve does is PERMANENT, this is not to be confused with a wheel line up. I will explain like this. Stev, correct me if I f#ck up here. . . HEY, YOUS GUYS (newbs) This is how it goes! Draw a rectangle on a sheet of paper, put an "F" at the top of it and a "R" at the bottom. Take a plastic Bic ink pen and place it on the sheet of paper close to the "R" symbol AS TO REPRESENT THE REAR AXLE. Next bend the pen in a smile formation. Note the "F" on the paper is facing verticle, so as you see it the pen is curved like a smile. NOW gently allow the pen to resume it's NATURAL position "STRAIGHT". This is a simple way I can hip you up on what he's doing. The very bottom of the "SMILE" 6pm position is where he sets up his bender and by pushing right there on your rear beam it curves your "SMILE" axle to a "GRIMMICE" axle and now you have a ZERO TOE BABY! This BIG metal beam is NOT going to bend out of place so once you are set, you are set for the life of the car PERIOD! NOW, let's STOP asking blah blah and call me and get you name in the fish bowl for the next show! What should I give away next? Another front STB or a B1415 Nismo lower tie bar? 301-509-6176 -ORO- [email protected] stop yappi'N and lets do this. Steve once I compse ALL of the pictures together from Joel camera and mine, I will mail you the whole event. SWEET! Ready 4 round 2 -'87 SE

·
"Founder of GTi-R City"
413 Posts
The extent of your required "Bend" to get zero toe is based on how off your beam currently is. The objective is to get you to zero, if a slight bend or a major bend is needed this is what you get. YTD only ONE B15 did NOT need to get bent. He or she was mechanically blessed! When I was 15, the only way to get bent was a gooseneck bottle, as I aged, I learned different! -'87 "The Original SE" B4 PP B4 Spec-V you had me, the original SE. much respect B11, B12 dont challenge us, cherrish us, you NOW are me THEN!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts