B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... I know that some of the 91-99 5-speed manual SE-Rs (including Sentra SE's) had LSD in them. My question is this: Are these trannys the same as the ones in the 00-01 SE's with LSD? My reason for asking is cuz I'm looking to do a tranny swap. If I can't find a used 00-01 SE tranny w/ LSD, then I might have to go into previous years. Would this work?

CURSE THE INVENTOR OF THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!!! Heheh! J/K :D

------------------
Jae
'00 SE w/ some stuff.
There's no place like home...

G

·
I believe they are the same, with the exception of the gear ratio's. The Ratio's are different (the B15 has a shorter 1st gear I believe,) but the transmission housing is the same.

I don't know about putting a used transmission in a new car though. It seems counter productive.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd Cloud White.
MODS:
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back.
- Hotshot CAI

"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific."

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost a year and 13k miles... I don't consider new. But yeah, I'm aiming for a 00-01 5-speed LSD tranny... according to copartfinder.com, there's only two in the nation available through salvage yards. Maxx, do you think it's worth it to do the swap? Damn, I paid more just to have a lazy left foot for a year...

------------------
Jae
'00 SE w/ some stuff.

G

·
Who knows. I have no idea how much that would cost. It can't be cheap. I mean you have the transmission, the instalation. All the linkage, and buying a new center console to replace the Auto. unit. That is all assuming you don't have to modify anything.

You might be better off buying a new car. hehe. *yikes* I guess you can chaulk this one up for experience. Don't buy an automatic ever again!!

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd Cloud White.
MODS:
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back.
- Hotshot CAI

"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific."

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No kidding. When I'm 70 years old and creaking with arthritis, I'm gonna make sure I work out my left leg EVERYDAY so that I can still hit that clutch...

AUTOMATIC NEVER AGAIN!!!

------------------
Jae
'00 SE w/ some stuff.

[This message has been edited by SR20DE 2K (edited March 22, 2001).]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Here's the deal with transmission compatability. They are not compatible! Nissan for some reason changed them in '95, '98, and 2000. I know you couldn't put a '95 transmission in a '98. There is a big difference in gear ratios. The 2000's gearing was changed to make up for the loss of RPM's.

Swapping would be very expensive to do, and almost harder to get done right. You can almost count on always having quircks you can never get rid of. That would be a shame on an almost new car. I believe it would be cheaper and better if you just take a hit and sell your car and buy a new or used 5spd.

------------------
rschauby

2001 Sentra SE w/PP auto (radium)
1998 SE-R 5spd

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everyone who's done the swap in Sentras has said that the ECU is the same for both. There's just this plug that needs to be changed around so that the engine idles or something like that.

But either way... I STILL HATE AUTOMATICS!!! :D

------------------
Jae
'00 SE w/ some stuff.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i got my 2000 SE because i had an auto 96 Sentra GXE... is was slow as hell.... but fun as hell to drive.... sometimes i would break fools off.... they must have been too busy looking at my car to concentrate! :D

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - Hotshot Cold Air Intake - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires - Arospeed Shortshifter - Smoke Side Markers
SDsr20de858 pics

·
Registered
816 Posts
the labor and cost are not worth it. Just sell your car and buy a similar used one with 5sp tranny. You'll spend less, the car will still be under warranty, and you'll have less problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The transmissions from '91 to '97 are identical. The only differences in them, is the speedo went from mechanical to electrical in '93, and the '95-'97 had a crank angle sensor on the bellhousing. In '98, the LSD was dropped. You CAN put a '91-'97 tranny in a '98+ car. The gear ratios never changed. As for the part about the gears being different in the B15, I don't know that, but I don't see why you can't put a B13/B14 tranny in a B15.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~novtec" TARGET=_blank>
</A>

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahh I see. Thanks NoVTEC. Turns out that I may not be doing this swap after all. If all works out, I'll be able to keep my SE and all will be good. If not, then I'll may be rolling around in an econobox Civic (again).

Thanks for the info though.

------------------
Jae
'00 SE w/ some stuff...
Desperately seeking an SOHC VTEC... yes, I'm serious.

[This message has been edited by SR20DE 2K (edited March 29, 2001).]

·
Registered
75 Posts
EEEWWW! Automatics! YUK!

:D

Hehe!

------------------
Jay
1997 Honda Prelude Type S
Getting a Sentra SE Sport soon!

·
Registered
300 Posts
real men drive stick!!!! :)

------------------
94 XE 2 door 5 speed, Tenzo-R intake, Front Upper Strut Bar

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by XtremE:
real men drive stick!!!! :)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok. Wanna race? Or is your intake and strut bar going to power you past me? j/k :D I totally agree.

I don't know what I was thinking getting an auto... :( Autos SUCK!!!

------------------
Jae
'00 SE w/ some stuff...
Desperately seeking an SOHC VTEC... yes, I'm serious.

[This message has been edited by SR20DE 2K (edited April 02, 2001).]

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Hey, there's a lot of things I miss about having an Auto. Just depends on your style of driving. If you want to do 10 things at once and drive your car, then the Auto would be better. If you just like driving, then you'd definitely be better off getting the stick. I had thought my Auto was the greatest till I started driving a stick. I knew that this was the way I wanted to drive. :)

Sorries for blowing past the topic, but I couldn't help myself. :p

------------------
Marvin
-2000 Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 Spd, Avalanche
Current mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust System
Future mods:pR CAI, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, Window Tint
-Previous Owner 1995 Sentra GXE, w/mods, Auto, Maroon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts