B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. i believed i mentioned something abot a stiff 4th gear before. well, now it's not stiff. it's more than likely coming apart. it happens when i accelerate hard off 1st and second. not when i ride it till redline. just accelerate hard. usually i accelerate it till i get to around 50mph. then i just go into 4th from 2nd. that's when it happens. ghsagagds!!! that's the sound. or something like it. it doesn't miss shift. it's that initial backforce you get when going intogears. it's like a metal rubbing on spinning metal. now it's not the clutch. none of the other gears do it. after i push it past the grinding it's fine. no vibrations, no noise. it makes the sound as if i was trying to go into gear without the clutch. but the clutch is all the way in. i baby my clutch. every time. i've always hit the clutch all the way in. now before... i learned how to drive stick a long time ago. i never got proficient at it 'cause i did not own one. so you can say i learned it better on this car. soo... ofcourse i missedshifted a few times. but they always happened in 3rd gear. never in 4th. so waht gives???? the car has only 23k miles on it and is a early 03. i got it november 02. i just hope it doesn't break down on my ay from NY to VA. any feed back be nice before i take it to the dealership tomorrow.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Could be a synchro problem. When you skip gears you are forcing a greater change of speed to the gears, causing more wear. This has been a problem for a few F-Body owners I know, that have the 1st to 4th shift set-up. I also remember a SAE paper from a few years back written by some Honda engineers on the increased wear of skipping gears in manual transmissions.

Dan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts