B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me just say, don't do it, well you really can't. I went over to Gene's place to install them on Sat.

The procedure isn't too bad if you are used to taking cars apart, but if you aren't have fun.

The basic procedure is jack up the right side front, take off the right front wheel.
Take off the wheel shroud. Now you will have access to the pulleys you can't reach from the top.
While you are at it, unbolt the radiator overflow and move it out of the way.
Then you can loosen the belts and take them off.
Now you can go in whatever order you want to take the pullies off.
The waterpump is fairly easy to do. If you are standing on the right side of the car looking into the engine bay it is the second from the left. It is held on with 4 9mm bolts I belive. You just have to hold the pulley in place to get them loose. This is kinda tough. Once you have that off you can put the UR one on.
The next easiest is the crank one. I suggest loosening the bolt with a impact wrench. Once it is loose, use a pulley puller to get it off. Much easier than trying too pry it off. There is a huge weight difference from the stock one to the UR one. Like night and day. Put the UR one on with a impact wrench.

Now here is where you should stop. DON'T but the 4 pulley set. Here is why.
To get to the alternator pulley, you must unbolt the compressor to get to the bolts to unbolt the alternator.
Then you can move it so you can get to the pulley by turning the alternator upright. Do Not unbolt the bottem pivot bolt, you shouldnd't need to. I did that and in the course of a day of driving that bolt backed out and the nut fell off. If you ever hear a tinny sound at partial throttle coming from the front of the car, check the alternator pivot bolt. Luckily yesterday I figured that out and the bolt got caught and I was able to retrieve it and reattach it.
So once that the alternator pulley was on, we went to work on the power steering pulley. What a pain in the butt. Its near impossible to get this thing unbolted. If you want to disconnect the lines from it things are easier, but then you have to worry about getting air out of the system. Once we finally had it in position to be able to take the pulley off, we noticed it didn't have a bolt on it like everyone who has installed them in other sr20s has said. It also didn't look like it was splined like the UR pulley is. But it would have to be or it would slip. The last major difference was the UR pulley is much larger than the stock one. So we said screw it and left the stock pulley on. Bolted everything back up.

For belts we ended up using the stock 4 groove belt because the one they say to use to replace it is just too big. Mainly because the UR power steering pulley is so much bigger. The 6 groove aftermarket belt fit fine. I thought it was a bit loose, but it seemed ok.....

Well all and all it took probably 6 hours a screwing around. Some sitting around here and there. There is a noticable difference in how smooth the car is, and definatly tends to pull harder.

When I got home I noticed when I start the car I got a squeek, loose belt..

I fixed that yesterday though, and reattached the alternator pivot bolt.

I am going to call UR today and find out if the power steering pulley is suppose to be much larger than the stock one. My suspicion is that they changed it on the newer car. If you are going to get pulleys, just get the 2 pulley set, you will be much happier and not be cursing all day long.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
HEHEHE I have to admit the install was a great experience,,,,It was not that bad at all.....It was great meeting david also,,,and I'm sure we'll see more of each other....but the install went pretty smooth besides like david mentioned about all the swearing it was a bit aggravating at times but we did get the job done....I think I'm deffiently going to just go with the 2 pulley set seeing we couldn't get that one pulley on...

But hey david I am still wondering if they did switch the sizes of the last pulley,,,so keep me informed about....

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
David, Gene..you guys rock man! I would have been SO frusterated. I'll definitely pick up the 2 pulley set when I get the chance. So, the two pulley set was pretty much real easy, as it looks like according to your post?

Hey Gene, if I get those pulley's in July, think you want to hook up and install them with me? We might be able to do ours together, if you come down. Let me know brother. :)

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes the 2 pulley is really easy. The water pump is right there from the top and the crank just make sure you have a impact gun and take off the wheel to get to the crank pulley. Adjust the belts so they are tight and you done. :)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Yeah I'd be willing to do them again......But 2 cars in one day,,,,that sounds like a weekend trip:D

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
david said:
yes the 2 pulley is really easy. The water pump is right there from the top and the crank just make sure you have a impact gun and take off the wheel to get to the crank pulley. Adjust the belts so they are tight and you done. :)
But like david said the 2 pulley would be fairly easy.....

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Hehe...man Gene, you're on man! We'd knock it out in no time(Me talking bunches of ****, especially since I don't own my own tools)! :)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts

Here's a picture of the 4 pulley's

·
Registered
3,122 Posts

Here's a side by side shot of the new and old...

Notice david's hand how dirty they are HEHEHEHE:D

·
Registered
3,122 Posts

And here's a couple of shots of two of the pulley's installed....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Awww... Come on guys... that sounds so SIMPLE

Sentra Styling said:
HEHEHE I have to admit the install was a great experience,,,,It was not that bad at all.....It was great meeting david also,,,and I'm sure we'll see more of each other....but the install went pretty smooth besides like david mentioned about all the swearing it was a bit aggravating at times but we did get the job done....I think I'm deffiently going to just go with the 2 pulley set seeing we couldn't get that one pulley on...

But hey david I am still wondering if they did switch the sizes of the last pulley,,,so keep me informed about....
After doing cam gears, and underdrive pulley install on a 300ZX, that sounds like cake!!!

;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nope...

SDsr20de858 said:
has anyone ever heard of pulley have negative effects when combined with cams??
As long as you do it correctly, there's no reason for negative effects to occur... that is unless the gear breaks or something.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You guys are the ishhhh!

thanks for all the comments and tips, I really want to do the 4 pulley set, and will ask my bro and friend(master mechanic) if it is possible or worth it, I might just get a 140 or 150amp alternartor that will work...damn lights keep almost going on and off when bass hits, and the car didn't want to start 2 days ago, heheh. Oh well, back to the coaters :)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Re: You guys are the ishhhh!

2k1DragSentra said:
thanks for all the comments and tips, I really want to do the 4 pulley set, and will ask my bro and friend(master mechanic) if it is possible or worth it, I might just get a 140 or 150amp alternartor that will work...damn lights keep almost going on and off when bass hits, and the car didn't want to start 2 days ago, heheh. Oh well, back to the coaters :)
I noticed this before and I have only a 280 watt amp in my car.....

·
Registered
297 Posts
Damn, that's it!?

I think you might have a slight problem then SS, not anything to really worry about, but if I were you I would move up to either a 4gauge wire, or if you already have a 4gauge wire, then think about adding a capacitor or car battery(last resort, very uneccesary, but cheap alternative). I am pushing 1600watts RMS, and have a baddass 1.0farad digital capacitor, which tells me that the voltage in our cars is pretty good, but not as good as the one on a Civic(my car stays b/w 12-13.5 volts with bass), with the same sound system my bro's voltage didn't drop pass 13.6 or so, remained pretty evenly at 14volts. Ohh well....OMG, I do not recommend anyone to put as much bass as I did, cuz things rattle in the car now that didn't rattle before, when I floor it now I can hear things rattling, damn bass is making things get loose. Sorry to go off topic, but I will reply once I get my pulleys all installed and done for. I am still waiting on my bro to send me the hood lights so I can take some pics, I will get the camera right after I install them, maybe I'll wait till aznivation gets here so we can take some group B15 pics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts