B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone with a 2005 spec confirm that the reverse lockout works or does not work on their car? Mine did not work. I am able to get the car in reverse without pulling up on the lockout ring. I took the shifter boot off to see how the ring works. I found that pulling up on the ring lifts a piece of plastic up and is supposed to allow the shifter to move all the way to the right. On mine, the ring did not pick the plastic peice up high enough to move the shifter to the right, but it was still able to be shifted into reverse, but not as easily as it should.

I was able to partially fix this problem by unscrewing the shift knob a few turns, which allowed the ring to be pulled up higher. I can now move the shifter all the way to the right and getting into reverse is much easier. But, I can still shift into reverse without using the lockout ring. This defeats the purpose. I have already accidently pulled it into reverse a few times instead of sixth when shifting from fifth. Ouch!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Plastic? Why is it we can't get something like this made out of steel? This is a constantly used part that will be shifted, lifted, and abused for 10's of thousands of shifts over it's lifetime...plastic?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
b12sentra said:
Plastic? Why is it we can't get something like this made out of steel? This is a constantly used part that will be shifted, lifted, and abused for 10's of thousands of shifts over it's lifetime...plastic?
Nissan

·
Registered
156 Posts
Oh come on! You shouldn't have to rely on a lockout ring to shift properly. All you have to do is learn to feel for the right side shift wall notch. If u push past thatl then your heading for reverse territory. If u just bump it, then push up / down ur in 5/6 as needed.

Now if u rush it, and a noob, u might bump reverse. But it will be a brief zip that will stop u from going further.

I don’t like taking the human element out of driving.

BTW: I’ve heard that the corvette will decide (with the manual tranny) to shift from 1st to 4th if your pushing it and the ecu decides that you’ve forgotten to change gears. Nasty.

·
Registered
126 Posts
pherschel said:
BTW: I’ve heard that the corvette will decide (with the manual tranny) to shift from 1st to 4th if your pushing it and the ecu decides that you’ve forgotten to change gears. Nasty.
I noticed on an 02 vette i had at work it has a light on the dash that says "1st to 4th shift"

·
Knight Rider!!
6,690 Posts
o man... how do u go from 5th to 6th..... for the 04 in order to even get into reverse u have to like push it past what seems like a gate and that is a hard push to do that.... i think u need to practice shifting while parked or something...

·
Huh? What??
391 Posts
I noticed this reverse ring on the Altima SE-R as well. I thought it made the car look cheap personally since I hadn't seen that since my friend's Focus ZX3...

·
Hater
2,311 Posts
Bah. 5th to 6th is cake. It's 4th to 5th that I sometimes end up missing and going too far right on...but that comes from having my other car being a 5-speed and having years of muscle memory expecting to go all the way right to the end of the tunnel before going up. But that's only when I'm driving braindead. If I'm paying attention I'll get it right every time.

eff a lockout. You just need practice.

pherschel said:
It's to save fuel. And it's only if you're accelerating slowly in 1st. If you get on it, it will let you select 2nd. And it was also like that in the 6-speed V8 Firebirds and Camaros.

And it could be eliminated with a CAGS eliminator...or probably several other products...

·
LEMONade
1,778 Posts
Well its not whether or not he should rely on the lockout. Thats not even what he is asking for feedback on. Its a factory feature and if it doesn't work right, take it back to the dealer and get them to take a look at it. You shouldn't have to loosen the shift knob to make it work correctly.

·
Suffering From Boost Envy
1,939 Posts
For me I had a lil problem with 4/5 and was a lil scared of 5/6 when I first started driving stick (this car). After like a week it was cake, I dont even hit the sidewall when shifting to 4/5 or 5/6 anymore. It becomes like instinctive memory after a lil bit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
4th to 5th can get you sometimes, especially while curving towards the left, damn inertia makes you push farther. never missed it and went into 3rd on right curves, though. I felt nervous putting it in 6th the first few times..you get used to it real quick and then laugh at yourself for ever worrying. But you should take it to the dealer, if you havent already, and see if they can do something about your lock if you think its a problem

·
Registered
315 Posts
LoS8 said:
For me I had a lil problem with 4/5 and was a lil scared of 5/6 when I first started driving stick (this car). After like a week it was cake, I dont even hit the sidewall when shifting to 4/5 or 5/6 anymore. It becomes like instinctive memory after a lil bit.
haha yeah i kept shifting from 5th into 4th instead of 6th, so i just started putting the back of my hand towards me when i shifted and voila. i remember the first time i test drove it i was tryin to back out of the dealership and i had it in 6th, and i went forward. i was like...i know how to drive standard, i swear!! :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, thanks for the feedback, but I assure you that there is a mechanical problem and I don't need practice shifting. I've been driving a stick for 31 years now. All I wanted to know was whether other 05 owners had the same mechanical problem. If you haven't driven an 05, your not really going to understand what the problem is. They designed this so that when you move the shift all the way to the right and push uo, that's 5th. Pull down and that is suposed to be 6th. On mine, it's trying to go into reverse instead of 6th. To get reverse, you pull up on the ring and the shifter will move even farther to the right than if you didn't pull up on the ring, then pull the shifter back.

I hope this is more clear. I guess I will bring it to the dealer if I can find some time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts