B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, hello to everyone. I've been watching and reading this forum since I got my Spec-V. The content and the search tool are invaluable! Unfortunately, the search doesn't give me anything on ECU code 0172. I'm just a regular guy, 27, dad of 4, telecom technician in PA and everything I know about cars I've learned, well, here. This 0172 code is labeled FUEL SYS RICH B1, which sounds pretty self explanatory. I've put only 93 octane in the car since I've owned it (bought used with 3K). The SES light has never come on before. I really don't want to switch to 87 or 89 and go against the factory recommendation for 93.

Any of you guys who know what you're doing got any suggestions? Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Could be a fault o2 sensor

Take it to the dealership should be under warranty

·
Registered
94 Posts
Unless you already did this ... Bring it to the dealership and have them run a diagnostic. But before they try to give you "the shaft" have them give you a print out and you can probably just fix it on your own .. probably. It could be that there is nothing actually wrong with the car, just that the light came on. When i got my sentra last year it was brand new. Soon after i put about 3000 or so miles on it and the check engine light came on. I was like WTF!!! (the car was probably just trying to tell me to chill the f*** out) and went to the dealership to raise some hell but there wasnt actually anything wrong .... heh. Stupid lights!! Hopefully its ok, which it probably is unless you did something silly to it. By the way Good luck. :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses already guys. I forgot to point out that I am in very rural northern PA (as in trees and cows everywhere). This makes for fun country road driving BUT it also means that the nearest Nissan dealer is about an hour and a half away. Also, I have installed a CAI and don't really know if the dealer is gonna be cool about that or not. So if there are any fix-it-yourself ideas, I'd like to try them first.
Thanks again, keep em coming. I'll try almost anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just wanted to post a little follow up here in case anyone ever has this trouble in the future. I did nothing and it cleared. When I first got the trouble, I ran through the procedure for the ECU code a couple of times. After that, I started and restarted the car about 6-8 times....no change. Finally, a day later, I just noticed that the light wasn't on any longer. Strange, but if you get this, don't panic.

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
Well if you are running rich it mean there is not enough air getting into the engine or too much gaz.

I would check the air filter first and maybe to a A/F recalibration with the Consult-II after.

BTW, the factory recommendation for the Spec-V are 91 octane, not 93 ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
by the way what did you use to get the code ... ? And where did you get it? (I want one)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Did you try to erase the code using the gas pedal method (listed here on B15Sentra.net)...? Try that and see if the code comes back again.

Damned OBDII cars! Codes are always flying as soon as you make one little mod.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
1.8 sleeper said:
by the way what did you use to get the code ... ? And where did you get it? (I want one)

turn key so acc. lights come on. Wait exactly 3 seconds...then fully press and depress the gas pedal 5 times within 5 seconds. Then wait 7 seconds and then hold the gas pedal down for 10 seconds...the SES light will begin to blink in short and longs increments. Count the blinks and there is your code. 10 blinks means a 0.

EDIT: To erase any code while the SES light is blinking hold the gas pedal down for more than 10 seconds and turn off the car....any code should be cleared when you turn the car back on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
:eek: wow ... i really didnt know that. Thanks for clearing that up. Now how do i find out what each code means?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts