B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i know this has been mentioned before but i need some new advice. well my first gear engagement totally sucks! like from a dead stop, it would take me over 5 tries to get it into gear. sometimes its like that, sometimes it goes in smoothly. is this because of my tranny or my clutch? i think my clutch is about to go though because when i shift into 2nd, my car jerks really bad. any warrenty i can claim or is it just wear n tear???? need help soon because my car is one year old next month!

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Have the dealer drive it.

Usually when clutches go out they slip when starting out and shifting. Perhaps your shifting technique needs some tweeking??

Clutches should not wear out that soon. I have probably put half a million miles on manuals without one clutch failure.

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
after you come to a complete stop, try putting it in neutral, 2nd, then 1st.

better yet, get the SMC short shifter... :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think I read something in the manual about that. I believe they suggested something in there.
I don't have a problem but I remember asking myself that same question when my gf got her SE. Read the manual and now I never have a problem.....well except sometimes I miss a shift. Ohhh I hate when that happens. :(

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i did learn stick in this car but i dont think i drive that bad. ive probably powershifted less than ten times ever. but it feels really crappy for a new car with less than 10000 miles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the same problem. This is my 7th stick shift car so I know it is not my driving ability. I took it to the dealer and they claim there is no problem found. I actually took a test drive with the mechanic and I could see he was also having problems but he would not admit it. I guess it's time to see another dealer. I have 8700 miles on my car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sometimes its hard for me too to stick it in first gear. I solve the problem buy letting off the cluth just a little bit. that always solves the problem for me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Old dog, same tricks...

My first post here on the boards was about the same problem - funny, same subject title even... thought someone had replied to mine...

I noticed the same thing when I first bought the Sentra in April - and I put it out to the Forum to see if it was something other people had experienced...
A number of members responded, so it is not a unique phenomena...
I've found that after my break-in it doesn't happen as often..
If you're approaching 10,000 miles... break-in, obviously, isn't an issue...
Just seems the linkage gets tied up from time-to-time and additional rowing it required to get it to notch.

·
Former Boosted B15
1,652 Posts
Like Lee said.... You can just put it on 2nd then try to go to first. It happens to me sometimes when i'm trying to reverse. Its not really bad, but when i drove your car, it feels different than mine. maybe some clutch fluid can help....

·
Car Noob
1,826 Posts
1 & R gets stuck

Mine does that too. When I went to the dealers about it, they say it just needs to be broken in. After 8 months with it, and only 8k mi on it, it happens less, but still happens.

I changed my driving habit, actually - now I try to shift into 1st just about when the light turns green (if I can help it). This way, if there is a problem, it gives me enough time to shift to 2nd, then back to 1st so I don't look like an idiot sitting at a green for a split second. :)

Oh, I've killed my engine several times before (The B15 SE is my first stick)... very embarassing. :D

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: 1 & R gets stuck

naddie said:
Mine does that too. When I went to the dealers about it, they say it just needs to be broken in. After 8 months with it, and only 8k mi on it, it happens less, but still happens.

I changed my driving habit, actually - now I try to shift into 1st just about when the light turns green (if I can help it). This way, if there is a problem, it gives me enough time to shift to 2nd, then back to 1st so I don't look like an idiot sitting at a green for a split second. :)

Oh, I've killed my engine several times before (The B15 SE is my first stick)... very embarassing. :D
exactly my point. i think there should be some petition or something. i know i dont drive that bad to make my car feel that crap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts