B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will admit this is somewhat of a technical request, but
since I do not consider it to be one of critical importance I thought I would throw it into General to see what responses I would receive from the Forum:

My GXE 5spd. is just 4 weeks old and still in the break-in stage, and both drivers have noticed an occasional reluctance/resistance when attempting to engage 1st gear - from neutral or otherwise working through the gate.
I have attempted to vary my technique in attempt to isolate the conditions by which this instance occurs, but it's cause remains a definitive mystery...
Is this a unique case for my vehicle or some more common occurrence as the result of the function of the Sentra's rod linkage???

I would appreciate as many returns as possible to this thread.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine did that for a while, mainly during break abnd then it stopped. Now problems now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now serving...

Thanks for your input sr20reNaISSANce...

I'd like to think it's not the result of my technique...

Keep the hits coming!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the same problem. I took it to the dealer and they said they could not duplicate the problem. I also have a hard time getting it into second gear sometimes. I'm going to take it to a different dealer next week to see what they say.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The truth is a virus...

Thanks for the quick returns to all...

Some promising responses.

Don't quit on me yet!

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Thats pretty normal for 1'st

I don't have a 5 sp. I've owned bunches of manuals over years and years. Best thing is just to go to 2 nd and then shove it up to first. Just try it if it doesn't to first from neutral. Sometimes I find myself doing it automatically. In the old days 1 st didn't even have a syncro, that was really ugly.

·
Registered
250 Posts
1st gear on my '01 SE is sometimes difficult to engage conventionally (i.e., clutch in, shift, clutch out). However, I've found that preloading the transmission (for lack of a better term) makes shifting into 1st effortless. To do this, I first apply and hold light pressure on the shifter and then depress the clutch just enough for the shifter to snick into 1st.

My SE is still in its break-in period, so the shift action of the transmission might improve over time.

DL

·
Registered
222 Posts
I must agree with the others....

I had the same problem. It will improve with the break-in. I've got over 10k miles on my car and it hasn't happened to me in awhile.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many happy returns...

It seems I have really struck onto something since I started this thread.
I'm a new member so I do not know if this issue has been struck upon before -
I'd again like to thank all the members of the Forum for their timely and honest responses...

This condition has been sporadic and infrequent, however persistent enough to warrant it's mention here.
It just seems at times the linkage just gets tied up a bit - those who have experienced this probably have a good idea what I'm talking about...
In many years past my old '85 626 was poor for selecting 1st, 2nd and also reverse, however the original clutch had been heavily worked for it's 225,000 mile lifespan before I sent it on it's way, I was slightly surprised that such an affliction would still plague of car of this day...

Feel free to continue to add to this string, as I'll be checking in periodically to see what more has been said from the group - as for me, I must attend to an airborne little gift a birdie politely left on my hood this morning,
please don't make me start a string on this topic, you don't want to know what I think!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts