B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 12V outlet in the car makes me nuts. I'm gunna try to convert it to constant on power.

I ran a search, but it's hard to find much about this, especially since some of the key search terms are too short.

Can anyone point me to anything?

I don't think I'll be able to get to this for a week or 2 anyway.

I doubt it's that hard but... any help would be apreciated to avoid blowing fuses by over drawing on a line etc.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it would be tough to do, I think that would work, I'm just worried about drawing too much power out of it and blowing the fuse all the time.

When I wired the fogs I experimented with a few things before finding something reliable.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
you shouldnt have too much problems off the constant on the radio, i suggest puttin a inline fuse just for safety of course

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
qr25deSpecV said:
you shouldnt have too much problems off the constant on the radio, i suggest puttin a inline fuse just for safety of course
what rating do you figure?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
whats the rating on the average plug in device you will be using, to play it safe i would say double that

·
Expert NOOB
177 Posts
do you have the FSM. I was thinking the same thing. in the electrical schematics it look like you can hotwire the accesory relay. it's normally open so i think if you make the input high it will always be on. The realy is in the relay box thats in the engine compartment.

I'll have to look into this more but maybe someone else can verify if i'm going in the right direction.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The FSM is online somewhere.

Mostly I want to be able to plug in my cell phone for more than 5 minutes at a time if need be while running around town.

Super.. let me know if you come up with anything.

·
Expert NOOB
177 Posts
ya thats the same reason i was going to do mine. I Haven't attempted it yet but i might have some free time in a few weeks to try it. I'll let you know if it works and i'll try to post some pics of the relay and stuff if i get it working.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
i wouldnt expect to have to put more than a 25-30amp fuse in there. you shouldnt have any problems with draw, i used the constant wire on my radio, to hook up a power inverter, the radio itself, and the cigarette lighter, i just check and i only have a 30 amp bus fuse on the line

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
03YellowSpec said:
Just run your power from the 12volt outlet to the battery. And you will be fine.
Well, that's the easy way to do it, but it's kinda ghetto.. and then you have to run wires to the battery, as well as running stuff through the firewall.

I think tapping into the million other wires in the dash would be cleaner, and just as easy.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
daddysuperfly said:
ya thats the same reason i was going to do mine. I Haven't attempted it yet but i might have some free time in a few weeks to try it. I'll let you know if it works and i'll try to post some pics of the relay and stuff if i get it working.
I'm in the same situation, I'll also let you know.

Either post here, or post a link etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just1pepsi said:
isnt it fused in the fuse box? just run a jumper wire to a +12 constant.
Any constant 12V is gunna be fused yah, but a redundant fuse never hurts... especially if you want say the fuse in your jumper wire to the 12V socket to pop before the fuse of whatever wire you've tapped into.

You wouldn't want to tap into your headlights or something else important, and then plug in your cell phone at night while driving, and pop your headlights.

That's just an example, of course that wire ain't likely to be in the dash.

·
Expert NOOB
177 Posts
figured it out

i just got back in and i have it working. It's kind of a pain in the *** but well worth the effort. The accessory relay is behind the fuse block. There are four pins with a diagram on the top of the relay. I shorted pins 3 and 5 together and now it works. This is only for the cigarette lighter under the radio. The rear one has a different circuit that's tied into the alarm. I'm going to post a link for a "how to" once I get a chance...hopefully later on tonight.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: figured it out

daddysuperfly said:
I'm going to post a link for a "how to" once I get a chance...hopefully later on tonight.
Please do. Damn, wish I had time to work on this also. Been bothering me for a long time, hence the thread...

-pat

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You gotta PM david... but good luck, I wrote a few over a year ago that are still floating around nowhere.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts