B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i have a rockford 801x powering 2 sets of rockford FNQs and the speakers are the best ive heard yet, but my problem is the amp overheats like a ****** and i figure if i can find a good 1000w 4 channel amp, thatll solve my problems, ( i know, way to state the obvious). i know that these speakers can handle 250 peak, and i doubt that an amp that says it will give that much wont put quite that much anyway. the FNQs are 100/200w, 4 ohm, 6.5" components. so that all being said, what is a good amp that fits the bill for all that crap i just wrote? any help would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the c2k4.0x, says 100x4 @4ohms, is that rms? are these amps very good/expensive??? im trying not to crush my bank with this... thanks with for your help!

·
King of OT
5,210 Posts
basshead said:
the c2k4.0x, says 100x4 @4ohms, is that rms? are these amps very good/expensive??? im trying not to crush my bank with this... thanks with for your help!
Yes, they are very very good, but very very expensive.....

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
look on ebay for an avionixx 440.4 it's 85w RMS x 4 @ 4 ohm. [email protected] 2 ohmsIIRC

good amp for ~170 on ebay

oh. and turn the gain down.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ohhhh, is it that my gains could be too high??? the amp seems to shut off faster when i blast it...

·
OT Whore
4,411 Posts
Either your gains are too high or that particular amp is a piece of garbage. There is no reason for an amp to go into protection like that.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha, i guess so... thanks, i'll turn the gains down and see if that helps. that wont effect my volume will it?

·
NISMOnkey
1,015 Posts
It will. Your gains should be set so that at whatever gain setting you're at, your h/u volume will be at about 3/4 max before it starts to distort...

So if your gains are too high, you might be at ear-piercing sound at 50% volume, and so on.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, i turned them down, and i blasted it, and i didnt actually feel(hear) the need to turn them up at all, bit i did just a tweek. the funny thing is that my subs seem to have attenuated themselves to the change in my components...strange? thanks for your help guys!
-anthony

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
errr, attenuate was not the right word... i go to turn it up, and my subs arent working, so i said, "well, maybe i didnt attach the wires when i moved the box back." so i reattach the wires, ensure that they are working at minimal volume, and i go and turn it up, nothing. so i turn up everything i can to get them to work, and i go and look at them..... and i dont hear a thing, but they are flapping around like you would not believe!!! they were about as linear as(insert the most NON-LINEAR thing youve ever seen). WTF!!!!! im starting to get really pissed with this kinda crap. and to top it all off, my tweeters are scratching pretty bad off and on. what are good reliable amps/subs/ components that are prefferably not too expensive??? next month is my audio shopping month, now.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
basshead said:
what are good reliable amps/subs/ components that are prefferably not too expensive???
um, not fosgate

their amps are decent, but I would steer away from the rest. Although I have heard that a few of their subs sound ok, I don't have any experience though.

what kind of budget are you looking at first of all?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Basshead are you running an amp in tri-mode? Are you using passive X-overs or some sort of x-over on the amp? The full excursion with no output is a weird one.

I would double check all of the connections and the settings you changed. I have seen subs "flutter" when they are getting voltage and no signal.

Good luck.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, whatever it was with the subs, i fixed it. as far as the components go, i want to keep them because they sound amazing. but that friggin amp overheats within an hour if i dont give it a break, and the higher the volume, the time seems to decrease almost exponentially.so, any good amps that wont cost me an arm and a leg>? i kinda need 100/[email protected] a little over that wont hurt.

·
King of OT
5,210 Posts
basshead said:
well, whatever it was with the subs, i fixed it. as far as the components go, i want to keep them because they sound amazing. but that friggin amp overheats within an hour if i dont give it a break, and the higher the volume, the time seems to decrease almost exponentially.so, any good amps that wont cost me an arm and a leg>? i kinda need 100/[email protected] a little over that wont hurt.
What;s your max price???

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
thats a power series amp? my buddy had a RF power 800 pushin an infinity kappa perfect and it never overheats....I want the new 8004 RF :D

·
OT Whore
4,411 Posts
Funny, the amp at Best Buy is always overheating while pushing those pos subs to bottoming out nonstop while the idiots praise how awesome it sounds.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
DevlynSyde said:
Funny, the amp at Best Buy is always overheating while pushing those pos subs to bottoming out nonstop while the idiots praise how awesome it sounds.
the 8004? I haven't been able to test it at best buy....last time I went in there a kid was there changing speakers every 2 seconds...has best buy ever sold the RF Power series? I don't think the 8004 is from that series if they even make it anymore...

·
OT Whore
4,411 Posts
i like my 9 year old punch 100. i should try running it again when i get my kodas. thing puts out sick power.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
i want something other than my gay power acoustik err how ever you spell their gay *** name

1 - 20 of 34 Posts