B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SER Mod Father
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...big recomendation for turbo guys. I thought that this would just raise the boiling temp of the coolant to allow hotter running, but it makes my car run cooler. My water temp (and oil temp) was getting up to 220. With the new rad cap it's sticking right around 190-195. The oil temp isn't rising any higher than that anymore either so I think this is the best $22CAD I've spent on the car. For reference the NISMO was over $100CAD with a 6-8 week lead time. When I wouldn't afford the time or money for the NISMO cap I decided to pull the poser plate off the front too (looks bare).
BTW I also pulled over 20#'s of boost briefly on the highway last nite and actually maxed the turbo out passing before noticing the dial was (still) turned too high. No aparent probs. Glad I hooked up the water lines before any of these probs/incodents.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
chillboy said:
...big recomendation for turbo guys. I thought that this would just raise the boiling temp of the coolant to allow hotter running, but it makes my car run cooler. My water temp (and oil temp) was getting up to 220. With the new rad cap it's sticking right around 190-195. The oil temp isn't rising any higher than that anymore either so I think this is the best $22CAD I've spent on the car. For reference the NISMO was over $100CAD with a 6-8 week lead time. When I wouldn't afford the time or money for the NISMO cap I decided to pull the poser plate off the front too (looks bare).
BTW I also pulled over 20#'s of boost briefly on the highway last nite and actually maxed the turbo out passing before noticing the dial was (still) turned too high. No aparent probs. Glad I hooked up the water lines before any of these probs/incodents.
There is no reason from a heat transfer point of view for this cap to do anything except to raise the pressure in your system-potentially leading to head gasket leakage.

·
SER Mod Father
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gettting caught in traffic today temps got up over 210 again but overall seems to be running a little cooler.
I've heard of people blowing headgaskets with these caps but with my closed deck motor (not ringed) there isn't a lot of coolant flow up there. You really think I should be concerned about the headgasket? It's held together with ARP studs too.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
chillboy said:
Gettting caught in traffic today temps got up over 210 again but overall seems to be running a little cooler.
I've heard of people blowing headgaskets with these caps but with my closed deck motor (not ringed) there isn't a lot of coolant flow up there. You really think I should be concerned about the headgasket? It's held together with ARP studs too.
Well-I really don't know if the higher pressure will cause the gaskets to leak. I just know that the pressure will be higher. I guess one thing is that if the pressure is a bit higher it will tend to stop the very localized boiling more than the lower pressure cap. So that would be a good thing.

So the answer to your question is, "I don't know"

·
SER Mod Father
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the cap I picked up. The new fan went in today too, but now my heads are leaking well beside it. Some grey caulking that they say isn't the strongest, so back it goes. I'll get a turbo timer in there next visit too. Anyone following all these redo's will know that this car will be made to last when I'm done.

·
2busy4b15/but watch it
11,651 Posts
adc100 said:
Well-I really don't know if the higher pressure will cause the gaskets to leak. I just know that the pressure will be higher. I guess one thing is that if the pressure is a bit higher it will tend to stop the very localized boiling more than the lower pressure cap. So that would be a good thing.

So the answer to your question is, "I don't know"

OMG !!! did you just mention something about a higher pressure cap being a good thing :p

·
Boost Addict
3,414 Posts
chillboy said:
That's the cap I picked up. The new fan went in today too, but now my heads are leaking well beside it. Some grey caulking that they say isn't the strongest, so back it goes. I'll get a turbo timer in there next visit too. Anyone following all these redo's will know that this car will be made to last when I'm done.

your leaking where?

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
SR20dee said:
OMG !!! did you just mention something about a higher pressure cap being a good thing :p
Yea but-overall-I think its a bad thing. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts