B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been reading on-line and print reviews of the new 07 SE-R (Spec V) and none of them address this question, mostly because the review is gear toward Spec V with 6spd manual.

My question is why does the CVT on the SE-R need paddle shift?

On a traditional transmission, we can use the paddle shift to shift the gears on an automatic transmission. The paddles keep our hands on the wheel.

CVT has no gears. So what is the purpose of the paddles?

Is it to shift it from Park to N to D?

Maybe I don't understand CVT enough........:confused:

· Old Age Sux
5,993 Posts
It's actually pretty cool. It allows you to "shift" though the gears like a stick but of course there's no clutch. You have control of what RPM's the engine is operating at instead of the transmission choosing. You don't have to use it. You can just put it in drive like any other automatic and go. I test drove the CVT in the Altima and it's really nice. You don't feel any shifting, you just go!

· Super Moderator
19,045 Posts
Most CVTs feature a mode wherein it simulates a traditionally geared transmission. There are four to six preselected points that comprise the typical gears; the paddle shifters allow you to flip between them. Essentially, its a manumanutic mode.

· CluB15 Photographer
1,733 Posts
What's nice with the CVT is that when you shift using the paddles...the "shift" in gears is quite instintanious...where as...in other tip tronic shifting cars...with no CVT...there is a small noticable lag if you will...I thought it was pretty cool when I got to first drive the o7 SE-R at work...

· Registered
55 Posts
My wife and I just went and test drove a Versa yesterday and it had the CVT Tranny in it. It was really neat just watching the RPM's drop and not feeling anything. It kinda got me into a little bit of trouble when I got on the hwy, lol. It was very smooth. Although, we would rather keep or Sentra or get a New Sentra.

· Swagnificent
1,064 Posts
With the right paint, they could be Kryptonite if you wanted. Are you referring to the new Lancers that get the "magnesium" paddles?

19,760 Posts
This is a gimmick, pure and simple.

"Shifting" a CVT into predetermined ratios defeat the whole purpose of owning a CVT (improved fuel economy and performance over regular automatics).

· geezinondowntheroad
27,287 Posts
txspeccer said:

"Shifting" a CVT into predetermined ratios defeat the whole purpose of owning a CVT (improved fuel economy and performance over regular automatics).
You forgot one : knowing your walker will never get hung up on the shifter when you pull it over from the passenger floorboard to allow your new tweenage hooker easier access to your junk.

· Registered
3,532 Posts
2001se2.0 said:
With the right paint, they could be Kryptonite if you wanted. Are you referring to the new Lancers that get the "magnesium" paddles?
Why yes, yes I am. Every time I hear that commercial I just wonder out loud, "what the fuck is that supposed to mean?"
txspeccer said:

It's because all the morons need to feel that reassuring jolt...or else they think their car is slow. Again, morons. There's no jolt whatsoever when I shift anyway, but of course you can hear the RPM fluctuate...without at least either the sound or the jolt, there is the sensation of not changing speed. BS.

· Swagnificent
1,064 Posts
armadnigeneral said:
Why yes, yes I am. Every time I hear that commercial I just wonder out loud, "what the fuck is that supposed to mean?"
I'm pretty sure it falls in the same category as "Corinthian Leather":D :D

· Registered
197 Posts
07blksentra said:
its a waist with the cvt
I just love the public school system, don't you? :rolleyes:

hom·o·phone (hŏm'ə-fōn', hō'mə-) Pronunciation Key
n. One of two or more words, such as night and knight, that are pronounced the same but differ in meaning, origin, and sometimes spelling.

· Registered
197 Posts
cden1 said:
Mine is 36".
Mine's so big it needs CVT. :eek: :)

Just kidding, I'm 36" or 38" depending on the pants.

· Fast **** box
2,554 Posts
2001se2.0 said:
EVERY miligram of weight reduction counts.

· Registered
2 Posts
Most CVTs feature a mode wherein it simulates a traditionally geared transmission. There are four to six preselected points that comprise the typical gears; the paddle shifters allow you to flip between them. Essentially, its a manumanutic mode.
Nissan did a great job in doing so. When you are bored of the low revs, manual.makes the trip much more enjoyable, especially on a curvy road!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts