B15 Sentra Forum banner

05 Spec v idles up and down randomly but does not stall.

11K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Isolee 
#1 ·
Over the past week my car has been idling weird from 1500 to 2000 rpm up and down when I put the car in neutral as I am braking to stop. Once I stop it goes down to a new idle at 1000 rpm. It seems to be getting worse and no MIL light is on. It's the 2.5 engine and it vibrates a little more than normal if I'm sitting, but this could be normal as it has 155k kms. Never had one problem til now.

I am planning on doing my first spark plug change and cleaning my K&N filter (8 months since last clean and 40k kms.) tomorrow to see if this helps, but can't see how.

So can anyone help me?

#2 ·
yea, i would continue with your tuneup as planned, see if it helps. hope you check all your fluids, oil and coolant. these 2 common problems that usually cause rev jumping. one if your maf readings (clean or new maf), the other is your tps failing (new/reman throttle body). either way you will need to do an idle relearn to correct your idle jumping

#5 ·
then your car is perma***ed, ive had two sentras and thats not normal.

Do your tune up, check for vacumm leaks, clean MAF / Filter and do idle relearn.

Chances are your problem will be fixed, granted you actully do idle relearn correctly....

#4 ·
Thanks for the reponses. Does Coolant really play a big role in the idle jumps?

Come to think of it it might as in the early mornings on my way to work (cooler outside) I have no idle issues, then in the afternoon leaving work (warmer outside) thats when I start seeing the jumping (especially when the motor is warmer).

As for the idle relearn, I took the steps from this forum and will try it tomorrow and see with all of the maintenance (spark plugs, etc.) I am doing.

Thanks for your time.:

#6 ·
Did the maintence on the car, cleaned the MAF sensor, cleaned the throttle valve, and now the MIL light just came on. Hooked up my computer to the car and it says the MAF sensor has low input...so this might be the problem finally!

Drove to work this morning and the MIL light is still on and the revs are twice as worse, almost like the car is trying to gasp for air. the idle is at 1,250 mow, not the 750 as suppost to be. This is even after the idle relearn. Going to pick up a new MAF sensor today and install it tonight. If this does not work I'm selling the car and buying something else besides a Nissan.:eek:

#7 ·
Changed the MAF sensor and the check engine light has not come back on yet...but it is still idling from 1500 to 2000 revs up and down constantly. Did the idle relearn and still did not fix it.

Dropping it off to Nissan dealership tomorrow as I do not know what else is left that is causing this problem.:mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.