B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Yikes Josh, this is a tough one. The Tacoma has the looks, in my opinion, but Nissan is who I favor in the end. Supercharged Frontier just says it all. Kevin has a point with the Tacoma with taco. It can get expensive. I love the Prerunner package with all of the loot! Both trucks kick ***. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
IMO

get the toyo, i love my sentra to death, but toyota is in my opinion at a higher level in car making than Nissan. I hope i dont get flamed for this but the quality of Toyotas (IMO) is one of the best i have ever seen. if thats what you're looking for if not get the NISSAN!!! :)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
both are going to be base model reg cab 4 bangers(ill have to make 2 car payments and gas aint cheap thats why). The project car got the axe and i NEED a good cheap truck with good tuning potential. The taco has a 2.4 with a good aftermarket like turbo, bolt ons etc... The taco also costs a little more and i dont really care for the newly designed front end. the frontier look really cool and agro, it shares the DOHC ka24(s14 engine) so i dont know what performance parts would transfer over???...just like my sentra, i have no plans on staying stock :)

[Edited by DarKsiDe_SE on 05-29-2001 at 08:44 PM]

·
Registered
605 Posts
I thought the Tacoma looked better than the Frontier last year, but with Nissan's redesign, the tacoma can't touch it. As for the Supercharger...Nothing less than awesome.

I was tempted to get the frontier (non supercharged) instead of my sentra, and I also considered the Tacoma. I ended up deciding to get the sentra, but if I were to get the truck it would have been the frontier. The price is right. As far as build quality, both trucks have got it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
well, like everyone here...I love my Nissan but if I were to buy a truck it would certainly be a Toyota Tacoma...I really like the looks and with my Dad and brother both having one I know they can last quite a while :D Just my opinion though...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1WiCkEdGt said:
the ka series motors were noting to brag about
tru, but for a 4 banger its power output is second only to the tacomas. I know the Tacoma is a better truck but not by much and the styling is kinda bland. I dont know, im still undecided.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
hmmmmm...

I have the '92 Toy T100(small). Don't know if the engine is the same as mine. I have the 22R-E, supposedly one of the best engines ever built. It has zero power. My truck is 4WD. Milage is 20-25 and I drive super conservative. I assume that you are not getting 4WD drive on the Tacoma, that engine will not haul it around period. If you supercharge you are in for a shock with gas milage considering the airodynamics and gearing of trucks. You are probably looking at 15 mpg-max. Days of cheap gas are gone forever. You won't have cheap transportation.

The Tacoma used to have some quality build products when it came out. My truck is built like a tank and have had zero problems. I hit an 8" curb head on at 15 mph. (had seat belt on or would have put me through the roof). Didn't even knock the alignment out. Quality is there on Toyota. Probably didn't help you much.

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
toyota. love em. everyone i've known that has had (have) them, swear by them, not at them. guy i went to high school with (remember those years Mr. Freshmaker? kinda fuzzy for me ;) )still drives his 80's something toyo everyday. he has a 2000 mustang and a f350 superduty (to pull his horses) but he still drives that damn toyo. no rust, no oil leaks, nothing. he did not use it for a street truck. he is/was a farm boy. (raises horses, leather works, etc...) the truck was not babied.

i had a 93 nissan hardbody 2.4L and it was a very solid truck. i just prefer the toyo.

·
I am a mother****er
675 Posts
Frontier hands down! I don't like the new fronts on the Tacos, they remind me of some kind of old Jeep Cherokee! IMO Frontiers are the sweetest trucks on the market, I LOVE the styling with that big a%% pissed off front end! I even LOVE the DesertRunners even though the bumpers are not painted. I think a black DesertRunner would be a sweet *** project, with those dark rims and mean front! Just my .02. later

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
I'm down with the Tacoma mainly because it's a Toyota. Build quality became a REALLY big issue for me after all the problems I've had with my Sentra. That, and aftermarket for the Tacoma sounds promising.

·
Registered
42 Posts
YESSSSSSSSS!!! Finally a post I can give some good input on!

I actually just traded in my BADASS!!!! 2000 Toyota Tacoma V6 5spd extended cab 4x4(non-TRD). Awesome truck!! Only reason i traded in is because Im getting married and I needed something more conservative. aaaaaaahhhhh, I'll miss that truck.

Now to get to the point.
The best 0-60 time I found on a Tacoma just like mine was 8.9!!!!

The best I found on the Nissan Frontier(same configuration, 5spd, extended cab, and 4x4) but WITH the Supercharger was only 9.2!

Now I was confident I could take a SC'd Frontier in my truck especially with some slight mods done to mine.

Now just think about this......... TRD Supercharger(65 hp)
TRD Headers(14-16 hp)
TRD Exhaust (5-10 hp)
All of the above under warranty too. All that added to the Tacomas 190 hp and you got approximately 280 hp!!! Then there is a free intake mod that has been dyno tested at 8 hp(I learned about it off of TacomaTerritory.com)

Trust me. The Tacoma is the way to go. The only advantage that the Fronier may have is a Leather option.

If you need proof of the above 0-60 times then I can research some more and find the exact web site. Those times came from tests done by the same people!!! Not to mention the Tacoma is one bad *** off-roader!!!

If your looking at the new S-runner then your automatically at 7.2 seconds 0-60 with only a factory "Sport-Tuned Exhaust" and nothing else added!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ill be finishing up the paper work tommorow. i got a 98 RC tacoma 2.4cyl 5 spd with 36000 miles for $10500 (8.9%)

now i dont know wtf im gonna do to it, sc or turbo, drop or lift etc...

·
Registered
42 Posts
DarKsiDe_SE said:
ill be finishing up the paper work tommorow. i got a 98 RC tacoma 2.4cyl 5 spd with 36000 miles for $10500 (8.9%)

now i dont know wtf im gonna do to it, sc or turbo, drop or lift etc...

I do believe someones got a turbo out for the 2.4. All of the Tacomas are pretty peppy though! But I would think you could get that truck for a little cheaper. I would think you could find one in the $8k range. Go to Automart.com and do a search for one. I found some for less than that. Just FYI also, you do know they make an extended cab v6 right? They are a little harder to find but you talk about a screamer!!!!!!!Plus all the aftermarket stuff!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts