Shift_03SpecV's track build up - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

post #1 of 23 Old 03-21-2010, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_03SPECV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Shift_03SpecV's track build up

So I've had my NISMO bushing kit sitting in my garage for a couple of years now. I did the control arms a while back but i never got around to doing the rear. After a few beers this morning (liquid courage) I figured it was time to put them in since the new AUTOX/PDX season is coming up soon. Along the way i decided to fix a few more things as i came up on them. I might do a write up later when I get it all completed. This is going to be a pain in the butt. ENJOY!

So far I've done the two bushings that go on the rear struts.

I took the little nut off the top of the strut holding the rubber hat on. Its a pretty strait forward swap. Right away i could tell the difference in the hardness between the two. The original was easy to sqeeze in my hand and the new ones have very little to no give.

These should liven things up a bit until the wiff lets me upgrade to a koni/gc setup. I can only dream for now.

Here you can see the difference in height between the two. NISMO original on the left and the NISMO upgrade on the right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-21-2010, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_03SPECV

(Thread Starter)
Here's the strut back in place after a good wipe down. I also resprayed the calipers in a high temp silver. I couldn't tell what the original color was since they were filthy and looking very haggard.

I'll try out this shade for now and if it doesn't grow on me i might redo them in honda inca pearl gold to match the BREMBOS up front.

post #3 of 23 Old 03-21-2010, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_03SPECV

(Thread Starter)
I have the rear off the car now and in my basement. There were a few spots with some surface rust so I scrubbed it all off and resprayed with a few coats of gloss black. Freaking VA getting crazy with the salts. Shes looking new and pretty.

There's two of these bushing on the arms hanging off the rear. These will have to come out of there to be swapped with the NISMO bushings. I have a couple of ideas on how to get them out. I'm going to give heat a shot first. I'll get me one of those cheapo torches and heat these up cherry hot. Then I'll try and bang them out with a hammer. if that doesn't work I'll have to take them in somewhere to a machine shop and have them pressed out. I don't want to invest too much time in these and it's awkward maneuvering the whole rear bar around to get them into a vise.

Any ideas or suggestions guys?

Last edited by SHIFT_03SPECV; 03-21-2010 at 06:14 AM.

post #4 of 23 Old 03-21-2010, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_03SPECV

(Thread Starter)
Got the brace in there, I'll respray it tomorrow.

post #5 of 23 Old 03-21-2010, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_03SPECV

(Thread Starter)
Hooked up my harnesses and took out the back seat. I'm a little on the fence about the back seat. The two cushions don't really weigh much and it keeps out all the trunk noise. But every little bit helps I guess.

The harness bar helps stiffen up the car a bit since it bolts into the bottom of the pillars and up towards the top making an H. It also keeps the harnesses from compressing my spine in a crash which would not be noice.

There's also my camera mount bolted to the bar

Last edited by SHIFT_03SPECV; 03-21-2010 at 06:24 AM.
post #6 of 23 Old 03-21-2010, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_03SPECV

(Thread Starter)
Stay Tuned!

Coming soon
BRAILLE 11.5 pound battery (tossing around the idea about relocating it to under the passenger seat which might be a little overkill)
HAWK HP PLUS pads
fresh high temp Brake fluid and bleed.
post #7 of 23 Old 03-21-2010, 09:07 AM
02 SPEC-Vicious
OTHER NEW ENGLAND B15'S?

Send a message via AIM to 02 SPEC-Vicious Send a message via Yahoo to 02 SPEC-Vicious
Looking good...If the heat doesn't work then try a hole saw
post #8 of 23 Old 03-21-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_03SPECV

(Thread Starter)
One down

I went out today and invested in a very nice shop vise at harbor freight. I also picked up a bottle of pb blaster and soaked the outer ring of the old bushing to get things wet and help speed things up.

Because of the huge size of the bushing i had to get creative and throw something together to press the ring out but hold the arm steady. I ghetto rigged it using the brackets from the rear sway bar that I took off to spray.

Progress was slow but steady. I spent 80% of the 2 hours just looking for scraps of metal to use and figuring out different angles. Now that I have the right pieces the next one should go down without a fight.

Here are the 2 new ones that wil be filling in tomorrow after work. Again much stiffer than the old ones. Almost a hard plastic type of rubber.
post #9 of 23 Old 04-24-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_03SPECV

(Thread Starter)
I went out and got these new bushing from energy suspension. part number was 9.8105R and they fit pretty good. remember to keep things loose when reassembling before tightening everything down. Spray everything with PB blaster before removing since those nuts get a bit rusty with time.

here's the end link with old bushings

and here it is with new bushing installed. They also came with new washers too and i still had 4 more left since they came in a pack of 8 so i'm going to see if i can put them on my Toyota pickup
post #10 of 23 Old 04-24-2010, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_03SPECV

(Thread Starter)

I finished up the bushing kit about 3 weeks ago and by far the most difficult one was the bigger bushing in the dog bone link. That b*tch just did not want to give it up. I had to bring in a propane torch to heat things up. the heat makes metal expand and while squeezing with the vise you could hear it popping as it slid out. This consumed the better part of 4 hours for me.

The *** end of the spec feels very planted now
post #11 of 23 Old 04-24-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_03SPECV

(Thread Starter)
I resprayed my jimmy bars in a metallic silver

post #12 of 23 Old 04-24-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_03SPECV

(Thread Starter)

These hawk HP Plus pads are the tits! They grab like its cool. I still have not broken them in yet properly but so far I'm happy and they only sqeek a little bit. I was going to get something more aggressive but I think these will do for now.
post #13 of 23 Old 04-25-2010, 05:28 AM
thesammy

Garage
Nice. I have the Nismo rear bushings sitting too. I always heard it was a PITA, and this confirms it. Lol. Maybe one day I will get to it.

Performance: I/H/MP/E/Knock Sensor/BSR Kit/MMI's/$7WHA/STS/Shifter bushings/SS clutch/ 17x7 O.Z Ultraleggeras with 225/45/17 P960 AS Pole Possitions
Suspension: Nismo R-tune bushing kit/Nismo RSB/FSB/LTB/4pt trunk bar/6k BC Racing Coilovers

More to come...
post #14 of 23 Old 04-28-2010, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_03SPECV

(Thread Starter)
Loosing a little more weight

Braille 9.5 pound dry cell battery

Replaced 39.6 pound optima red top.
post #15 of 23 Old 04-28-2010, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_03SPECV