post #1 of 35 Old 04-11-2009, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Subliminal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
No start on 1.8L 02 GXE

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've been here. Usually my car is relatively trouble free, with a few little exceptions.

A while back my ECM went, and I had just had surgery, so had a dealer install a new one. I think it came to about a grand...what a deal!

Anyway, my car is experiencing like symptoms again. It won't start. Cranks great, stutters occasionally, but won't start.

When the ECM goes, I understand that often times the code readers won't interface and that's how to diagnose the problem.

Well, I borrowed a code reader and just hooked it up. It connected, it searched for codes, it reported no codes stored.

Now, I did disconnect the battery a few days ago for a few hours to see if that'd help, so maybe it could have wiped codes, but you'd think it'd create a new one by not starting (and I've let 'er crank for a while).

Now, leading up to this, over the last few weeks when the car would start it would run really rough for a few seconds (like all the plugs weren't firing) and then smooth out and run like a champ. I thought it might be plugs with 120k on them, so I changed them to no avail. Then about 4 days later this issue...

So, no codes and no start.

Any ideas for me to diagnose?

Thanks a mill!

damon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 04-11-2009, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Subliminal

(Thread Starter)
Ok, so I just pulled and checked all the fuses even moderately related to the car running, and they were all good.
post #3 of 35 Old 04-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Big-T

fuel pump working..?....good fuel pressure..?

post #4 of 35 Old 04-11-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Subliminal

(Thread Starter)
Not sure yet, actually...it's been raining all day, so i pretty much just checked the fuses and the codes already. I'll check that and report back. However, wouldn't crap fuel pressure leave a code?
post #5 of 35 Old 04-11-2009, 01:50 PM
txspeccer

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subliminal
Not sure yet, actually...it's been raining all day, so i pretty much just checked the fuses and the codes already. I'll check that and report back. However, wouldn't crap fuel pressure leave a code?
Probably not if it won't run at all. If you went too lean after the car actually ran because of lack of fuel, you might get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman0605 View Post
oh B15sentra Banned Me For No Reason Again And Its Ok Wit Me Because I Guess I Got To Be White In Order To Be Like And Talk Like Im White Too. u have the very lack of KNOWDELGE. So get cha mind right FOOLS...
post #6 of 35 Old 04-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Big-T

+2 Only three things won't let any engine start....Fuel/Spark/Comp,Fuel pump dying wouldn't through a code...
post #7 of 35 Old 04-13-2009, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Subliminal

(Thread Starter)
So, I played with the car a little more at lunchtime.

I pulled a fuel line off the rail and hit the key. Plenty of fuel shot out.

I put it back on and pulled the plugs. They were all wet (after cranking it a little bit).

argh...more to come.
post #8 of 35 Old 04-13-2009, 11:56 AM
TechSalvager

Check your Crank angle sensor

WWW . QG18DE . NET
post #9 of 35 Old 04-13-2009, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Subliminal

(Thread Starter)
Hey Tech,

What should I check it for? I just read your post and read back through about 100 threads and the only thing I could find to check for was oil in the plug.

I really wish the damn scan tool would have given me a code, or something to work with.
post #10 of 35 Old 04-13-2009, 02:38 PM
breezynutz1458

ok first thing you want to check is fuel pressure. most these guys are right on the money. sentra's idle funny when the fuel pump start to go. mine did it. i had this exact same issue, i just warranted my fuel pump through the dealer. so hope you have a warranty
post #11 of 35 Old 04-13-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Subliminal

(Thread Starter)
Is there a valve on top of the fuel rail? I'm at work and not in my driveway, but I didn't see one this morning. I assume there'd have to be though, eh?

The thing that gets me though is that the plugs are wet, which would imply that the fuel is getting there, but not being ignited.

PS - What should my fuel pressure be when the system is primed?
post #12 of 35 Old 04-13-2009, 02:48 PM
TechSalvager

try to let the fuel pump prime for a few seconds, turn it too on, leave it for 10-20 seconds, then crank it over, if no go, try disconnecting the battery for a while, and retry starting, sometimes the 1.8 crank sensors go out and cause no starts, bad idles, and the engine to die out while driving, my crank sensor went bad and the car would die out in traffic, it got worse though time, also idle wasn't good it would go up and down between 500 - 900rpms sometimes. cheap part, pita to get at.

WWW . QG18DE . NET
post #13 of 35 Old 04-14-2009, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Subliminal

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSalvager
try to let the fuel pump prime for a few seconds, turn it too on, leave it for 10-20 seconds, then crank it over, if no go, try disconnecting the battery for a while, and retry starting, sometimes the 1.8 crank sensors go out and cause no starts, bad idles, and the engine to die out while driving, my crank sensor went bad and the car would die out in traffic, it got worse though time, also idle wasn't good it would go up and down between 500 - 900rpms sometimes. cheap part, pita to get at.
Well, I tried your scenario, and it didn't help.

Thanks for the advice, though...it's much appreciated. At this point I might just start throwing parts at it (starting with the crank sensor), although I HATE to do that.
post #14 of 35 Old 04-14-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Subliminal

(Thread Starter)
So, I cranked it and it fired right up today. Ran rough at first and smoked like a sonofabitch for a while. Not sure if its an issue with the smoke, or because i'd been dumping gas into it by holding down the pedal and trying to start it for a week.

Definitely running like crap, definitely has the check engine light on...

30 minute update: It will start and run every time, but it smokes and doesn't quite sound right and the CEL is on.

Of course, I gave my buddy back his scanner, and I don't trust it driving to Autozone in 5 oclock traffic.

Any thoughts?

PS - Just to butter you guys up a little bit,[butter]I've been coming to Nissan forums on and off for 3 or 4 years now and this one is by far and away the best one I've been to.[/buttering]

Last edited by Subliminal; 04-14-2009 at 04:05 PM.
post #15 of 35 Old 04-14-2009, 04:03 PM
speedjunkie

Send a message via AIM to speedjunkie Send a message via Yahoo to speedjunkie
just a fyi on all modern fuel injected cars holding the throttle wide open (pressing the pedal all the way down) the pcm senses this and puts the car into Flood Clear Mode. All that is really is it shuts off the injectors so it can clear the cylinders of too much fuel which is commonly refered to as flooded cylinders or a flooded engine.

On a quest to prove everyone wrong on what they think they know about the QG18DE
Brand Spanking New Forum For Sentra GXE, XE, and 1.8S Owners just search google for qg18de and come join our forum

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: